OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

I find it interesting how the Rams have been building to this for years, purposely not rebranding upon their return to LA to save it for the opening of the new stadium. The Chargers just spring it on everybody, meanwhile, and the overall response to their changes couldn’t be more different. As if the buildup of one led to “this is what they came up with?!” while the suddeness of the other led to “they’ve perfected their brand,” when — in reality — they both still have issues.

20 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Well, from my own observations, the blue/yellow "retro" caps featuring the old-school logo as a white outline sell pretty well. I have a couple and I see lots of other people wearing them. So offering a modern take, yet still looking retro, makes a lot of sense there. I knew when I saw the primary leaked on the draft cap that there would be at least one ram head logo, even if it wasn't ever intended to see the field.

That's a good extrapolation...My prediction is that this follows the dolphins redesign timeline...bland modern interpretations of a classic look that does not resonate with fans...tepid sales of new merch which is still less than throwback...after a couple of seasons in the new threads, throwbacks make it back on the field and the fans go nuts again for nostalgia.

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

That's a good extrapolation...My prediction is that this follows the dolphins redesign timeline...bland modern interpretations of a classic look that does not resonate with fans...tepid sales of new merch which is still less than throwback...after a couple of seasons in the new threads, throwbacks make it back on the field and the fans go nuts again for nostalgia.

Nostalgia is always a proven seller in virtually all forms of media. I mean, I have no interest in a cap with the new primary, but I really want one with the ram head. I guess it worked on me.

3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

With the lines and colors used, it looks like the horn is protruding out of its eye. 

Now that you pointed it out, I can't unsee it.

Edit: If the eye was recolored red or something, that would eliminate the protruding effect.

24 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I can't even find a placeholder image anywhere with the ram head on a cap. Got a link?

they were on the NFL shop earlier today, but sold out and appear to have been taken down. 

30 minutes ago, bowld said:

NFL shop had hats yesterday with both logos on them. The Ram head is already sold out so that speaks volumes

Not really.  Not unless you know how many of each were produced.   The primary logo was available on multiple styles, and it’s the primary, so it’s likely that they had many more available for sale. 

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not really.  Not unless you know how many of each were produced.   The primary logo was available on multiple styles, and it’s the primary, so it’s likely that they had many more available for sale. 

We don't have any metrics because this rebrand is only 28 hours old and I doubt anyone's conducted a scientific survey on the matter. 

All we know is that the ram head caps sold out, social media seems to prefer the ram head, and the team backtracked a day later and claimed "neither is the primary we'll use both!" after the initial unveiling leaned HEAVILY into the LA/horn. 

Nothing is for sure, but judging on what scant bits of info we have? It seems like the ram head is the preferred mark among the fanbase and the team realizes that. 

My biggest fear is the horn on the helmet matches either of the logos. Transitioning  colors and segmented would be such a failure for the Rams.

Wow...I love the new bolt. Seeing it side by side with the old one really makes the original look kinda bad IMO. The new bolt is dynamic and energetic while the old one is just kinda sitting there.

The word marks are great from what I can see too and of course the colors are fantastic, now if only they could nail the uniforms like they did the logos and colors...

22 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I find it interesting how the Rams have been building to this for years, purposely not rebranding upon their return to LA to save it for the opening of the new stadium. The Chargers just spring it on everybody, meanwhile, and the overall response to their changes couldn’t be more different. As if the buildup of one led to “this is what they came up with?!” while the suddeness of the other led to “they’ve perfected their brand,” when — in reality — they both still have issues.

The Chargers' rebrand isn't perfect, but it's got far less issues than the Rams' new identity. 

The Rams and Chargers were in similar boats, in that both teams had fans who preferred an older, more classic look to what they were wearing. 

The Rams spent two years teasing everyone, trolling everyone with Twitter avatars and fake hats, and ultimately released an identity that over-thought the problem. 

The Chargers made relatively little noise and seemed to have settled on "hey let's just go back to the colours everyone likes." 

Again, it's not a perfect rebrand. It accomplishes what it set out to do far more successfully than the Rams' though, and did it with far less fuss. 

As an addition to the above...the Chargers haven't hit with brand-speak yet, which is a plus. The Rams wouldn't shut up about the ram horn matching the crests of the waves and the shine of the sun of LA blablabla...golden ratio...blablabla

Meanwhile the Chargers just seemed to have gone "we tweaked the bolt a bit and went back to the throwback colours everyone likes. So yeah." 

And that's an approach I can respect. 

14 minutes ago, IceCap said:

We don't have any metrics because this rebrand is only 28 hours old and I doubt anyone's conducted a scientific survey on the matter. 

All we know is that the ram head caps sold out, social media seems to prefer the ram head, and the team backtracked a day later and claimed "neither is the primary we'll use both!" after the initial unveiling leaned HEAVILY into the LA/horn. 

Nothing is for sure, but judging on what scant bits of info we have? It seems like the ram head is the preferred mark among the fanbase and the team realizes that. 

the problem is that those “metrics” are all pretty unreliable.  Internet rewards the few loud voices out of all proportion. 

We’ll see soon enough.  But right now, nobody on the outside can say. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

the problem is that those “metrics” are all pretty unreliable.  Internet rewards the few loud voices out of all proportion. 

We’ll see soon enough.  But right now, nobody on the outside can say. 

I wouldn't put much stock into Twitter's opinion except that the team seemed to change gears over the past day. 

The original unveiling showed the LA/horn very prominently, with the ram head alternate as a glorified afterthought. Now not even two days later they're going "the LA/horn isn't the primary per se, we're going to use both!" 

That's a backtrack if I've ever seen one. And I have to believe the team has some kind of reliable data that indicates the ram head is greatly preferred. 

what is everyone's issue with Agency font? I think it's a solid sports font, looks great for Chargers and Canucks. Just that its overused?

Is this not real, or did we somehow miss this?

I could live with the one-color, yellow logo on royal blue or blue on yellow backgrounds shown in the graphic above -- what we actually got is terrible, though.  I also don't see any of the appeal with the Rams head logo.

Did we know the Chargers were going to release their updates today or did they just see the Rams getting crapped on and decide it was a good time to show their welcomed changes?