Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I'm just curious as to how the Chargers do in the long run in LA. They forced themselves into the city and have not been wanted. Will they pack the new stadium?

Their very existence in LA seems so strange and out of place.

You have to remember the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, and Rams all originally came from elsewhere. They'll be fine in the long run.

8 minutes ago, colortv said:

Finally found a good pic of the Chargers white powder throwback.

ET41MDwUEAEvh8l?format=jpg&name=small

This is a Photoshop though, isn't it? There's something a little weird about the blue shoulder hoops, especially on the left shoulder. Plus, the 1 doesn't quite look right compared to the rest of the jersey, and how the light hits the folds.

spacer.png

That's from an October game in 2009 against the Chiefs at Arrowhead.

The Rams should have just simplified the boilerplate helmet logo and called it a day, they're not a team that needs a primary logo. They had the right idea the last couple years:

cehFdcE.jpg

Not getting hung up on a primary may actually allow the team to get more creative about their brand on social media and elsewhere since they don't have to build around a logo. I don't know, worth thinking about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would agree that any Rams logo is secondary to their helmet, similar to the Bengals.

However, I don't know if a helmet as a primary logo would fly anymore. Exception to the Browns because that's what they've always been, but I don't know how well it would work for any other team.

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

I would agree that any Rams logo is secondary to their helmet, similar to the Bengals.

However, I don't know if a helmet as a primary logo would fly anymore. Exception to the Browns because that's what they've always been, but I don't know how well it would work for any other team.

I think the only other teams that it would work for are the Rams and Bengals, since they have easily recognizable helmets without a logo. Anything else would just be a logo encased in a helmet, which at that point why not just have the primary be the logo *on* the helmet?

ExJworW.png

47 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I don't even get the impression that it's a sports franchise.

Yeah, why don't they have a football in the logo like all the NBA teams have a basketball so you know?!! 

2 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

This is a Photoshop though, isn't it? There's something a little weird about the blue shoulder hoops, especially on the left shoulder. Plus, the 1 doesn't quite look right compared to the rest of the jersey, and how the light hits the folds.

Plus, that's Cam Newton.

But yeah, I really do like that look, I wouldn't mind seeing them modernize that set

4 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

So after a day of reflection, I got some hot takes that are ready to burn.

It's obvious that the Rams leadership wanted to emphasize that they are the LA team, and their tenant is second banana.  Using the mothership as an example, it's easy to see why.

a0Mf2yH.png

The other large-market team in that image doesn't use imagery that invokes the team's nickname.  It's just a straight "NY".  People immediately know that is for the Giants.  Here's where their thinking is flawed though: The Giants' NY was put on the helmets in 1961 and lasted until 1975.  The return in 2000 has kept it in the public eye as the logo and helmet for going-on 20 years.  It's familiar and known and has a sort-of old school feel that has reached a sense of timelessness.

The Rams on the other hand have used a Rams head for a good chunk of their history.  They are THE Rams.  Hell even the website is therams.com.  The Ram Head should be the primary logo in this regard.  Let the brand define their return to Los Angeles.  The LA pandering feels exactly like that: pandering.

Now a comparison with the magic of "INSPECT ELEMENT":

teLEQnF.png

Tossing it up with others, i agree that it's VERY simple compared to the rest.  And it stands out in a somewhat not good way (While the Chargers logo just works, holy crap was that a good update).  But the Rams head being new and specifically designed for the return to the LA market helps detach from the St. Louis Rams logo and becomes solely Los Angeles Rams.  The pandering and forced justification of an odd design choice for the horn is unnecessary.  The backtracking now saying that they're is no "official" logo is a complete 180 from the forced LAHorn they were pushing throughout.  Does the Ram head need some fixing? yes.  Does it work as a standalone primary? Yes. 

The Rams need to stop pretending they have to be LA's team and just be the Rams and being the LA Rams will come naturally.

Curious as to why the earliest date for the AFL logos is 1970? I know that’s when the merger happened but the NFL recognizes all of the original AFL history.  

Now that I've seen both and had a time to really let them sink in, here's my thoughts. 

Rams: Nailed the colour scheme, evetything else... it's a mess. The ram head is easily the best logo of the group, but even that's a mess, with the lines being used making it messy. They tried to be like "We are LA's team" and missed the mark entirely. Scared that the uniforms are going to be near perfection but have one huge glaring issue that almost ruins the look, but we'll see. The mockups of the graident horn on a helmet haven't looked bad, though, so... just got to wait and see. 

Chargers: I really want to like this. The new bolt fixes the issues I had with the old one, the new wordmark looks nice, I even don't hate the emoji logo as he comes off as a cool fan merch idea. The thing is... I'm skeptic on the powder blue. It's one of those colours where I'm very conflicted on it till I see it on players, as I don't mind the shade used on the current set, but the old shade with the glossy fabric has never set right with me. Then again, my fave set of Chargers looks is these very short lived guys (85 to 87): 

bfb5b5ff925ea29b23c04aac9d45c3cc.jpg
e28a73c1174cb308437923709e66d6ed.jpg

But even these aren't perfect for me.... I much preferred the white numbers from the LT era on the Navy jerseys personally, and i think that if they used these the striping inspriation for the new set, they'll have a winner on their hands. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Rams are a slight downgrade branding wise, the white ram head was never fantastic but both these make it look great. 

Chargers is a lateral move, I've gone back and forth on whether the old bolt or the new one is better, tempted to say the old one was better. I would say I'm disappointed with navy leaving the set but I saw this coming last year, just please, don't mess this up San Diego

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

To the folks who don't like the Chargers in powder blue...

I get it, opinions are subjective. And you aren't wrong for yours. That being said? The love of the powder blue throwbacks never went away. It remained so strong that the Chargers merely switching to their inferior powder blue alternates as primaries was a huge deal last season.

All in all? The love for the powder blues has been going strong since AT LEAST the past twenty-five years. This was inevitable, and deep down? You all knew it was coming. Yes, the Chargers in navy could look nice. Yes, the Chargers in royal blue could look nice. Navy or royal blue never captured football fandom's attention like the powder blue did though. This was always going to happen. It was merely a question of "when" and not "if."

All in all? You are in the VAST minority of fans- be it Chargers fans, sports uniforms fans, or football fans. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's no crime against contrarian opinions, or diverging from the popular choice. That being said...the powder blue and athletic gold look is what the vast majority of fans have wanted for decades. I'm not saying you need to force yourselves to love it, but just make peace with the fact that the team inevitably gave way to popular demand.

2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

don't mess this up San Diego

cough

Archived