Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

12 hours ago, colortv said:

This is the best and most comprehensive article on the NFL's return to Los Angeles:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Thanks - I read that when it was first published, but it's such a fantastic tale it bears re-reading.

And man, Spanos really doesn't come off well in that story.  He's pictured as a sort of feckless follower, liked by everyone but a supporting character in his own autobiography.  The only word the author can use to sum him up is "abidance". His stadium pitch is a cringeworthy affair, led by a guy who refuses to read the room and drop his corny, canned jokes. The NFL then rejects the Chargers relocation proposal and approves a totally different proposal for them instead, telling Spanos they'd rather he play second fiddle in Kroenke's orchestra.

Then again, Goodell is also portrayed as a neutered empty suit who lost control of the process.  The only people who get a positive portrayal are Kroenke and Jerry Jones, forcing the league to do the right thing even if it doesn't want to.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh, there ABSOLUTELY is a rivalry between San Diego and Los Angeles. It's one-sided, but San Diegans don't tend to be very fond of Los Angeles.

Granted, most of the rest of Cali isn't necessarily fond of Los Angeles, either. 😛

They hate us cause they ain't us! :boogie:

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Thanks - I read that when it was first published, but it's such a fantastic tale it bears re-reading.

And man, Spanos really doesn't come off well in that story.  He's pictured as a sort of feckless follower, liked by everyone but a supporting character in his own autobiography.  The only word the author can use to sum him up is "abidance". His stadium pitch is a cringeworthy affair, led by a guy who refuses to read the room and drop his corny, canned jokes. The NFL then rejects the Chargers relocation proposal and approves a totally different proposal for them instead, telling Spanos they'd rather he play second fiddle in Kroenke's orchestra.

Then again, Goodell is also portrayed as a neutered empty suit who lost control of the process.  The only people who get a positive portrayal are Kroenke and Jerry Jones, forcing the league to do the right thing even if it doesn't want to.

Makes you wonder who the author's sources were...

14 hours ago, colortv said:

As for the Raiders, they have a very vocal fanbase because of the crowd they attract, but there are many more people who are off put by the Raider image, and will much more easily gravitate to the more family-oriented atmosphere the Chargers will provide.

Yikes.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You're operating from a faulty premise.  I'm not applying a different standard at all.  I was opposed to the Miller Park funding tax, and am especially opposed to the Packers' dealings.  I would have voted against the Lambeau Field tax were I a Brown County resident.

Cities should not be paying for professional stadiums.  Period.  Spanos should have paid for his own damn stadium instead of looking for a handout from the public.

I'm glad you weren't.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I also think that they're ruining Lambeau Field with these renovations.  Something special has already been lost, and the stadium isn't the gem it once was.

Those opinions might put me in the minority of shareholders, but I'm comfortable with that.  :D 

That's a shame, But unfortunately it's about keeping up the joneses...literally.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

On 3/30/2020 at 6:27 AM, Ben in LA said:

And that’s why I love the Rams head. Kind of an update of the first one.

To me it's a hybrid. The general design of the very first one but the perspective of the third with the coloration of the second one.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:49 AM, Gothamite said:

Who was asking about the ram-head caps?  They're up again on the NFL shop.

ff_3886699-85501971baa5fae33c9dalt1_full

Ah, currently unavailable. Although that was a 9FORTY, not the model I was interested in. (Holding out for a 39THIRTY). Although in the meantime I came across a hoodie sweatshirt featuring the ram head logo, which I'm going to buy once my tax return comes in.

42 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

That's a shame, But unfortunately it's about keeping up the joneses...literally.

I'd also say i can't see how his point is true. Not sure how it's being ruined.

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Reading is kinda sorta in the phila MSA (depending on which of the various sources you use) but by no means is it “suburban Phila” - it’s more just “eastern PA”, just like how SD isn’t suburban LA, but they’re both SoCal

Reading is in the Philadelphia television market, which really doesn't cover as much of Pennsylvania as one might initially think:

Philadelphia.gif

I remember reading that Philly has one of the smallest RSN territories by area, being hemmed in by Pittsburgh, New York, and Baltimore/DC with not as much overlap in Pennsylvania as one might initially think. Compare with Southern California RSNs, where you have L.A. proper, San Bernardino-Riverside, Santa Barbara, and, if you're not competing with the Padres, San Diego.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, CrookedThumb said:

Figured this is worth sharing

"We know we really :censored:ed up and you all hate our new logos, but it's too late to do anything. Maybe next time the NFL lets us rebrand again?"

😜 

23 hours ago, colortv said:

As for the Raiders, they have a very vocal fanbase because of the crowd they attract, but there are many more people who are off put by the Raider image, and will much more easily gravitate to the more family-oriented atmosphere the Chargers will provide.

It's been three years and the Chargers have failed to prove they can pull that off. They remain a distant third option in their own city, behind the Raiders who are moving out of state. 

23 hours ago, colortv said:

This is the best and most comprehensive article on the NFL's return to Los Angeles:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

This was written before the Chargers even announced they were gonna move to San Diego! Wow, Los Angeles is happy to have the Rams back! Maybe it's like they've not had a team in 22 years, and one of their favorites made it back! Almost no one in LA cared about the Chargers then and now. And that doesn't justify San Diego getting screwed out of a team to Los Angeles yet again. San Diego only has the Padres at this point, give 'em a break lol!

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'd also say i can't see how his point is true. Not sure how it's being ruined.

Can’t explain if you don’t tag me. 😉

Overhang.  Seats.  >shudder<  Cupholders. Everything we used to shake our heads and laugh at. 

The old open bowl was utterly unique in pro sports.  Special.  Didn’t need to change, but they’ve started chipping away.  Too late to stop it. 

@colortv 

You've said that LA is close enough to San Diego that the trip would be like a "weekend excursion" for San Diego fans.

You've said that the Chargers' "family friendly" atmosphere would be preferable to the rather sizeable and not insignificant Raiders fanbase already in LA. 

We are not talking about hypotheticals though. We've seen it play out for three years. San Diego fans are NOT making those weekend excursions. Families AREN'T flocking to Chargers games.

Meanwhile the Rams are leading the Chargers in PSLs $500 million to $50 million. At what point does the empirical evidence we actually see start to win out over your hypotheticals? 

Archived