Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

So I tweeted this

I’ll never resort to wearing bootleg gear that looks nothing like what the team would actually wear.

I agree but this just goes to show how bad The L@ Rams messed up on this rebranding. If it’s to the point where fans are recreating it and putting it on gear, ehh...you’ve gotta problem.

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Not even close. Middle of the pack among NFL teams at best (probably more like bottom 1/3). And as teams, the Galaxy and LAFC have more support in LA than the Chargers.  

That was my point a few pages back. Ownership and their lack of care for the fans turned many away. But, I'd say San Diego was still a huge Chargers town, just one in hiding. If, like happened in Seattle, a local fan friendly owner bought the team, there would've been thousands deep waiting lists for season tickets. 

I meant #3 of 3 NFL teams in Southern California (I'm including the Raiders in that number).

The MLS comparison is a little bizarre and, frankly, not relevant.  That would be like saying the Chargers are less popular than the Dodgers.  Who cares?

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

I meant #3 of 3 NFL teams in Southern California (I'm including the Raiders in that number).

I’m not sure at all that’s the case.

I suspect #3 would be the Cowboys, Packers, or Steelers.  The Chargers might well end up closer to the 5th or 6th most popular NFL team in Los Angeles. 

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

The MLS comparison is a little bizarre and, frankly, not relevant.  That would be like saying the Chargers are less popular than the Dodgers.  Who cares?

Because the Chargers and the Rams are in direct competition with the Galaxy and LAFC. We like to think our city’s sports teams are all brothers, fighting together for the glory of our town, but in reality they’re fierce competitors for our attention and our wallets, not to mention sponsorship dollars.

It is very possible that not only will the Chargers lose out on all that to the Rams, but they might not even be able to keep up with the MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS clubs.

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Because the Chargers and the Rams are in direct competition with the Galaxy and LAFC. We like to think our city’s sports teams are all brothers, fighting together for the glory of our town, but in reality they’re fierce competitors for our attention and our wallets, not to mention sponsorship dollars.

It is very possible that not only will the Chargers lose out on all that to the Rams, but they might not even be able to keep up with the MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS clubs.

chargers are competing against ucla football for relevance....actually I think a ranked ucla will outdraw a playoff caliber chargers team.

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

#3 is generous. I'd argue that pretty much every other professional sports franchise in the market is more popular then the Chargers are in Los Angeles, given how pitiful their attendance is regularly. The Chargers have done basically nothing to endear themselves to Los Angeles, a city where you have to bring your A-game to be the talk of the town since the city has so many things to do.

And that "contingent rooting for the visiting team" happens in most southern markets because (shockingly) lots of snowbirds will flock to southern areas in the winter and bring their fandom with them. You see fans of visiting teams even in successful southern markets, it's kind of the nature of the beast. The problem isn't the contingent of visiting fans, it's that the Chargers are consistently the worst-attended team in the entire league since moving to Los Angeles.

I don't think pulling a Jets/Giants is going to miraculously make people in Los Angeles give a :censored: about the Chargers. They simply don't have that draw that the Rams or Raiders do with their extensive history in Los Angeles. The Chargers had one year in LA and then 50+ years in San Diego. The Chargers are San Diego's team, not Los Angeles'.

For reference? The Rams' total attendance this past season, combining home and road games, was 1,063,995. The Chargers' was 760,644. The team above the Chargers is the Bungles, with a total attendance of 907,640. The Chargers aren't drawing either at home or on the road.

What part of "the Chargers attendance is restricted by the capacity of the Galaxy's stadium" don't you understand?

6 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

There are a lot of people on this message board overstating how important/popular the Chargers were in Greater San Diego.  I was a season ticket holder at Qualcomm, and there was always a large contingent rooting for the visiting team.  San Diego had its opportunity to keep its NFL franchise, and the voters rejected that opportunity at the ballot box.

The Chargers will be fine.  Will they be the #3 team in the region?  Probably, but I suspect the Rams are going to "struggle" as well (i.e., make less profit), especially in years when the Raiders are competitive (I agree with the suggestion that the Raiders are the most popular team in Southern California).

Based on the ruling of the other team owners, the Rams were always going to have to share their stadium.  They should think of it as a territorial rights fee.  They should also consider themselves lucky that their tenants are the Los Angeles Chargers and not the Los Angeles Raiders.

Good stuff, heaven forbid people who are actually from Southern California comment on the matter. As if the Chargers were a franchise with some massive rabid fan base as is.

I'm not going to keep regurgitating the same points that were made in the initial post a few pages back so I'm just going to let history play out instead of continuing to go back and forth.

My argument rests on an NFL team playing in a state of the art stadium in a market of 20 million people, rest assured this thread will be bumped in the future.

46 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

With the Rams new logos being so hated

By who, though? A vocal minority on the Internet? "Mean tweets" do not and never have represented the majority opinion. (Which is almost surely indifferent).

Also, the people who actually get to make the decisions appeared to like them, and that's really all that matters.

19 minutes ago, Quillz said:

By who, though? A vocal minority on the Internet? "Mean tweets" do not and never have represented the majority opinion. (Which is almost surely indifferent).

Also, the people who actually get to make the decisions appeared to like them, and that's really all that matters.

Yeah, volume doesn't necessarily equal numbers.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

What's worse: Supporting a team with a hated brand and an insulting COO or supporting Spanos? 

I'm sorry, but not many people outside of these boards choose their favorite teams with their logos.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Do teams that are creating a new brand get outside opinions?  With the Rams new logos being so hated, NO ONE saw this coming?  Or is the whole organization a bunch of "yes men"? 

I think it's more likely that the Rams liked the designs and decided to use the designs. Anybody introducing anything knows how public feedback can go, this is the most obvious thing. They knew but they clearly want the audience to warm up to it, if not, do something else when the option arrives in 5 years, Demoff said as much. There is clearly no malicious intent from what they are doing unlike Spanos, who you can tell is a clueless turd. Demoff is a decent guy, presents himself well, doesn't crap on the fans, etc.

You can not like what the logos and uniforms are, but PLEASE try not to overexaggerate how bad it is, that's just as bad if not worse. Go read the Rams social media replies, this teams fan base cares more about how it looks than the team on the field right now and that's kind of pathetic. "Hey we resigned this guy!" and the replies to it are like "LOGO LOOK LIKE A PENIS!!!!!!!!!" Come on. This is a team that was in the Super Bowl a year ago and now got rid of a top RB and suffers from various other issues. I understand the brand is bad looking to some people but people need to get it together.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived