Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

4 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Sure looks that way. But it was pretty funny watching them play home games in that little community college stadium the past couple years, wasn't it?  With all those soccer stadium trumpets blaring all game long ... 😂

Kroenke owns the Nuggets and Avalanche, too, along with the Pepsi Center/Elitch's Amusement Park complex. I haven't lived in Denver in 25 years, but people there say he's pretty a decent owner.

I'm not saying that Kroenke is a bad owner. He's cleary done well in his other investments.  What I'm saying is he simply made a business decision. St. Louians(?) are upset that the left, when frankly, that team should have never been there. The Rams belong in LA, the only reason they were in STL was because Georgia Frontiere saw an ill-advised deal in her hometown, one that STL couldn't own up to.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'll internet fight the notion that the Rams are some beloved team that sell out of home fans and are rallied around by the whole town.

Are lots of people saying this, or are they saying that the Rams do about as well as possible under the circumstances?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Yes, I mentioned this in that original post which no one bothered to read or is perhaps ignoring because it refutes all their arguments.

The NFL is a business. An entertainment business.

Where the vast majority of the revenue comes from the TV deals, which ensure profitability for the teams. 

If a team averages 20k home fans and 40k fans for the road team they don't care, because EVERYONE is paying the same money.

The sheer sizeof the market will ensure profitability and at the end of the day the money will be there because of that.

But not every team has a big traveling fan base. When the road fans don’t show up For teams like the jaguars and others then what?

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Not to mention St. Louis had put together what was apparently a very viable plan for a new stadium.

And again... A plan is not the same thing as actuality. LA had many viable stadium plans during the 90s and 00s; none of them came to be.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

And normally I'd do the mod thing and keep us on topic but the fact is there's nothing to discuss regarding either team's identity until the unis are unveiled. 

But this has just become a clone of the NFL Merry-Go-Round thread at this point. If we're going to beat a dead horse, at least give it the dignity of keeping it where it lies.

We'd accomplish just as much by everyone posting this picture repeatedly:

spacer.png

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

And it's impossible to discuss the Chargers' brand without addressing the elephant in the room (the relocation).

Well, not really.  A whole lot of people were doing just fine talking about the colors and the redesigned bolt. And when the uniforms come out, a whole lot of us with no dog in the location fight will do a fine job of talking about that without bringing up San Diego.

7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, not really.  A whole lot of people were doing just fine talking about the colors and the redesigned bolt. And when the uniforms come out, a whole lot of us with no dog in the location fight will do a fine job of talking about that without bringing up San Diego.

That's only one part of their brand. They've been in LA for several years now and still get called the San Diego Chargers on TV. It takes some serious blinders to talk about their brand without acknowledging how it's been ruined by the most ill-advised relocation in sports history.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 4/4/2020 at 4:52 PM, Gothamite said:

I’m not sure at all that’s the case.

I suspect #3 would be the Cowboys, Packers, or Steelers.  The Chargers might well end up closer to the 5th or 6th most popular NFL team in Los Angeles. 

Now you're just being silly.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

On 4/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, Gothamite said:

Can’t explain if you don’t tag me. 😉

Overhang.  Seats.  >shudder<  Cupholders. Everything we used to shake our heads and laugh at. 

The old open bowl was utterly unique in pro sports.  Special.  Didn’t need to change, but they’ve started chipping away.  Too late to stop it. 

OK - just getting back to this @Gothamite 🙂

I think you're treading close to the 'old man yells at clouds' territory with this.  The original seating bowl is still the same - I'm sitting on the same 18" of aluminum bleacher like I have for a long time. The fact that the additional 22000 seats are costlier than the main bowl is one of the reasons why the team is making more money. It's not on par with the TV contract by a longshot, but it helps keep the main bowl seats more reasonably priced than they otherwise could be.

Had you said that Lambeau Field was ruined on the basis of their being fake grass stiched into the playing surface, I'd have been closer in agreement. Then again, it makes the playing surface better than it otherwise would be.

Go Lumberjack Band and all that 🙂

It's where I sit.

51 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It takes some serious blinders to talk about their brand without acknowledging how it's been ruined by the most ill-advised relocation in sports history.

1996 Winnipeg Jets: "Hold my beer" 

3 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

1996 Winnipeg Jets: "Hold my beer" 

The Winnipeg Jets were maybe the cruelest of relocations, with kids busting open their piggy banks to fund a grassroots ownership effort that the league moved the goalposts on, most ill-advised would probably be Whalers to Raleigh-via-Greensboro or Rams to St. Louis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Winnipeg Jets were maybe the cruelest of relocations, with kids busting open their piggy banks to fund a grassroots ownership effort that the league moved the goalposts on, most ill-advised would probably be Whalers to Raleigh-via-Greensboro or Rams to St. Louis.

To be fair, though, I doubt the Jets 1.0 would have lasted too much longer in Winnipeg anyways, given how bad Canada's economy was at the time and how old the Winnipeg Arena was. That's a big reason as to why a :censored:load of Canadian teams moved or very nearly moved in the mid-late 90's; and even into the early 2000's, some rumors of Vancouver going to Seattle were present. Not helping was that after the Nordiques moved, the Jets were left as the smallest market in the entire league. Tumbling economy + small market + no salary cap = bad times.

As I recall, if they didn't end up in Phoenix, they'd have likely just gone to Minnesota anyways. The Jets' relocation was horrible to Canadian hockey fans at the time, but I don't really know if there was much of anything Canadians could do to really prevent it from happening; at best, it'd get delayed a few years or it'd end up just being a different place.

I'd say the Chargers moving to LA has been far worse then the Jets 1.0 moving to Arizona, because at least the Coyotes brought upside by planting the NHL into a region where they were the sole professional hockey franchise. The Chargers are the second NFL team and bajillionth pro sports franchise in LA, when they had a perfectly serviceable market pretty much all to themselves outside of like...the Padres and Gulls?

They've brought nothing that the NFL didn't already gain with moving the Rams back to LA. The Los Angeles Chargers only exist because the NFL didn't want Kroenke to have LA to himself so they stapled Spanos' mess of a franchise to his arena.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, though, I doubt the Jets 1.0 would have lasted too much longer in Winnipeg anyways, given how bad Canada's economy was at the time and how old the Winnipeg Arena was. That's a big reason as to why a :censored:load of Canadian teams moved or very nearly moved in the mid-late 90's; and even into the early 2000's, some rumors of Vancouver going to Seattle were present. Not helping was that after the Nordiques moved, the Jets were left as the smallest market in the entire league. Tumbling economy + small market + no salary cap = bad times.

As I recall, if they didn't end up in Phoenix, they'd have likely just gone to Minnesota anyways. The Jets' relocation was horrible to Canadian hockey fans at the time, but I don't really know if there was much of anything Canadians could do to really prevent it from happening; at best, it'd get delayed a few years or it'd end up just being a different place.

I'd say the Chargers moving to LA has been far worse then the Jets 1.0 moving to Arizona, because at least the Coyotes brought upside by planting the NHL into a region where they were the sole professional hockey franchise. The Chargers are the second NFL team and bajillionth pro sports franchise in LA, when they had a perfectly serviceable market pretty much all to themselves outside of like...the Padres and Gulls?

They've brought nothing that the NFL didn't already gain with moving the Rams back to LA. The Los Angeles Chargers only exist because the NFL didn't want Kroenke to have LA to himself so they stapled Spanos' mess of a franchise to his arena.

Every major pro league has two successful franchises in LA, there are countless teams in lesser pro and college leagues too.

The NFL of all things is not going to be the exception to the rule and fail.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

That's only one part of their brand. They've been in LA for several years now and still get called the San Diego Chargers on TV. It takes some serious blinders to talk about their brand without acknowledging how it's been ruined by the most ill-advised relocation in sports history.

Maybe, but when the new uniforms come out, me and quite a few of the other members of this board will strap on the blinders and discuss whether or not not we feel those uniforms are good, and not mention the relocation even once. I guess you can keep talking about it, though.

1 minute ago, colortv said:

Every major pro league has two successful franchises in LA, there are countless teams in lesser pro and college leagues too.

The NFL of all things is not going to be the exception to the rule and fail.

Not right now, but they sure are trying their damndest!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived