Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

The yellow primary would be perfect and would give nice contrast to LAC, which means they won't do it. We probably are gonna get two LA teams that are primary blue featuring yellow ( we know the Chargers are.) 

MLB has two LA teams wearing red, white, and blue, but no one has issues with that. A Rams colour hierarchy of royal blue-yellow-white, and a Chargers hierarchy of powder blue-white-yellow is different enough.

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I get this isn't 1991 anymore. Stuff like the 49ers' One Day Logo can't happen anymore. That being said...it's probably for the best if the Rams started playing around with some alternate ideas. Nothing big, just get some new ideas on paper so they can hit that 2025 rebrand attempt running.

Since helmets aren't a major merchandise item it hopefully isn't too late to make sure the classic horn stays on the helmets. Considering all the backlash it would be an easy way to throw the fanbase a bone. It's like when the Tampa Bay Lightning updated then did a quick backslide by adding the bolts to the pants & some black trim to the numbers.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

MLB has two LA teams wearing red, white, and blue, but no one has issues with that.

You’re grasping here. Dodgers are a blue-white predominant team and the Angels are a red-white predominant team. 

Just now, DNAsports said:

You’re grasping here. Dodgers are a blue-white predominant team and the Angels are a red-white predominant team. 

That is true, but I think the Rams going royal blue/gold/white and the Chargers going powder blue/white/gold will be enough to set them apart. It'll be a weird case where the colour schemes are both similar and different enough all at once.

I'm pretty sure there's like, one gradient design that worked.

26543006750_5850cb43cd_o.jpg

Even then, it's just lettering with otherwise solid accessories. Yes, I know those hats technically weren't on-field (nor that purple undershirt), but it's still proof gradients can work if used sparingly. What we see elsewhere is just garbage.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

During the California Angels days blue was more prominent, but they still had a look that wasn't going to get mixed up with the Dodgers. They used different shades of blue, and one team emphasized red more than the other. Swap out red for yellow and you've basically got the Chargers/Rams situation.

The point I'm trying to make is that similar colour schemes don't have to lead to similar uniforms. 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Even then, it's just lettering with otherwise solid accessories. Yes, I know those hats technically weren't on-field (nor that purple undershirt), but it's still proof gradients can work if used sparingly. What we see elsewhere is just garbage.

I’ll raise you one more gradient design that works well. Again in a limited format.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

They looked like complete clowns, and I'm convinced this is one of those cases where people just think that something that was old and short-lived is cool because of the novelty.

In addition to the wordmark that consumes the entire front of the jersey, you have a ray across the stomach that looks more like a drawing or cartoon than a sports logo.  Smaller players looked especially silly in these.  Maybe a gradient could have worked on a different design, but as it stood, those were an embarrassment and unprofessional.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They looked like complete clowns, and I'm convinced this is one of those cases where people just think that something that was old and short-lived is cool because of the novelty.

In addition to the wordmark that consumes the entire front of the jersey, you have a ray across the stomach that looks more like a drawing or cartoon than a sports logo.  Smaller players looked especially silly in these.  Maybe a gradient could have worked on a different design, but as it stood, those were an embarrassment and unprofessional.

I remember seeing that Devil Rays road uniform in person at a game at The Vet in the late 90s and thinking how bad they were then. I never minded the cap but the jersey was hideous and still is.

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow, weird, nostalgia for a garish look for a historically awful Tampa Bay team rooted in ironic novelty and not because it was any good, why does that sound familiar

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Wow, weird, nostalgia for a garish look for a historically awful Tampa Bay team rooted in ironic novelty and not because it was any good, why does that sound familiar

spacer.png

knew we were missing a mocking of this mess in an unrelated thread. 😜 

16 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

knew we were missing a mocking of this mess in an unrelated thread. 😜 

People always fall over themselves for Pittsburgh's cross-sport synergy, but for my money it's hard to beat the TB tradition of sucking for a decade or two while looking like the cheapest cliche of your time.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Drawings and cartoons are pretty popular in baseball aesthetics though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, colortv said:

4/21 for the Chargers is confirmed:

Any way we can get leaks and force their hand to unveil the unis early just like the Falcons? I'm really looking forward to seeing the new-look Chargers. I've heard their unis are the best of the new bunch for 2020.

17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Drawings and cartoons are pretty popular in baseball aesthetics though. 

Hmmm, what’s an example? Off the top of my head, I guess the Orioles would be, but it’s still a different style of drawing (not that it’s better) and the old Blue Jays (which was objectively terrible) but are there others you’re thinking of that appeared on uniforms? 

My specific criticism is the same one I have about the SJ Sharks. Their og logo wasn’t close to perfect, but had bold lines and geometric shapes, while the new one is “comic book” or “cartoon” style, with more flowing lines and shading. Their og one at least looks like a “logo”, while their current looks like a “picture” or “drawing”. Does that make sense?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived