Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Wow, weird, nostalgia for a garish look for a historically awful Tampa Bay team rooted in ironic novelty and not because it was any good, why does that sound familiar

On the contrary, it did look good and is sadly the best that the Rays have ever looked. The next design used shades of green and blue that were too close together (value-wise) to work, while the current set is just bland and forgettable (aside from the 1978 Padres ripoff faux backs). When you play in a dingy fixed dome stadium like The Trop, you need to look bright and colorful. The Rays got that on the first try, while everything since has just been visually dull and forgettable.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Hmmm, what’s an example? Off the top of my head, I guess the Orioles would be, but it’s still a different style of drawing (not that it’s better) and the old Blue Jays (which was objectively terrible) but are there others you’re thinking of that appeared on uniforms?

I mean, there's obviously the old Chief-who-Shall-Not-be-Named in Cleveland. The Twins have had two cartoon people for a logo for pretty much their entire history, as well. The A's have a cartoonish elephant, both with and without sunglasses.

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

When you play in a dingy fixed dome stadium like The Trop, you need to look bright and colorful. The Rays got that on the first try, while everything since has just been visually dull and forgettable.

I'd argue that most Florida teams in general should embrace being bright and colorful. Your nickname is the Sunshine State, after all, you're known for being brightly-lit. The eccentric "Florida Man" is one of the biggest memes related to your state. Bold and interesting palettes really shouldn't be that uncommon in teams when we're talking places like Tampa or Miami. Be colorful, be loud. It'll also make merchandise sales easier because you won't be the 30th team using the exact same dark tones.

The 90's Panthers colors are inherently superior to their modern colors for me for that reason, and it's also why I think the Lightning should just go for an electric blue/black/white combo; both are just louder then their current sets. And when I think South Florida, I do tend to think of bright sunny beaches and warm waters.

Jacksonville can get away with dark colors because it's basically right next to Georgia. Tampa Bay and Miami are not.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Hmmm, what’s an example? Off the top of my head, I guess the Orioles would be, but it’s still a different style of drawing (not that it’s better) and the old Blue Jays (which was objectively terrible) but are there others you’re thinking of that appeared on uniforms? 

My specific criticism is the same one I have about the SJ Sharks. Their og logo wasn’t close to perfect, but had bold lines and geometric shapes, while the new one is “comic book” or “cartoon” style, with more flowing lines and shading. Their og one at least looks like a “logo”, while their current looks like a “picture” or “drawing”. Does that make sense?

Historic Cubs bear patches, a number of Pirates logos, the swinging friar are somewhat cartoonish. The elephant on the A's jersey is pretty much an old drawing. 

Agreed about the Sharks logo, especially the secondary one with the full set of teeth. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, there's obviously the old Chief-who-Shall-Not-be-Named in Cleveland. The Twins have had two cartoon people for a logo for pretty much their entire history, as well. The A's have a cartoonish elephant, both with and without sunglasses.

Has the Twins ever appeared in a prominent place on a uniform?  The other two are good examples.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Historic Cubs bear patches, a number of Pirates logos, the swinging friar are somewhat cartoonish. The elephant on the A's jersey is pretty much an old drawing. 

Fair enough.  Guess it makes sense why I wouldn't like it if any of those came back and made it onto the front of a uniform.

Maybe part of my problem is also in the colors used - in both cases (sharks and Devil Rays), it's black with blueish effects, which just makes me think of a comic book drawing.  Doesn't make any of the other examples any better, just that I think those are worse.  Just a personal preference (or lack thereof.)

Hey - we're not fighting!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Has the Twins ever appeared in a prominent place on a uniform?  The other two are good examples.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They’ve been featured as a sleeve patch on several other uniforms from throughout their history as well, these are just the examples with their current set.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Fair enough.  Guess it makes sense why I wouldn't like it if any of those came back and made it onto the front of a uniform.

Maybe part of my problem is also in the colors used - in both cases (sharks and Devil Rays), it's black with blueish effects, which just makes me think of a comic book drawing.  Doesn't make any of the other examples any better, just that I think those are worse.  Just a personal preference (or lack thereof.)

Hey - we're not fighting!

Definitely, that's a big problem. I felt like the Rays tried to cram too many colors into the gradient. Simplifying it might work a bit better, or using warm colors. Either way, a bright uniform would help a team that plays in a dingy warehouse. 

Also, you're dead-on about the Sharks' 2007-present logo and the new alternate design. It's just too goofy and cartoony, while the '91 original just looks poorly made. I've long wanted the Sharks to do a complete redesign that throws out everything apart from the name, teal, and triangle backing shape on the crest. 

My feelings about Little Red Sambo are well-known in these parts (like, I'm at a point where I don't feel bad "yelling" at people who like Little Red Sambo).

But damn, I like this set:

25592297232_6ee0091ce3_o.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Cleveland going all-in on red has long been a desire of mine, if only to differentiate them from the other navy-heavy teams (just make sure to use more navy than the Angels).

EDIT: But back to LA football, I'm honestly not too broken up about the new Ram horn designs or the logos. Without the gradients, it's a pretty decent look (that's very derrivative to the point of trademark infringement). Ah well, they'll "roll it back" in five years because fans will probably not want it/I doubt the team will win much of anything anytime soon.

This thread is 382 pages of people yelling at others about their opinion of what the uniforms should be, while not listening to other's opinions.

For the record, the Rams DO NOT NEED WHITE!

The home uniform should be royal and sol, and that's it. The jersey on the away set can be white. They don't need to force it.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Jacksonville can get away with dark colors because it's basically right next to Georgia.

This is interesting to me, because it's one of those as-a-fan-I'm-not-a-fan statements that makes sense but also doesn't. Proximity to Georgia in and of itself shouldn't mean embracing dark colors, but what it really gets at is that Jacksonville, no matter its exact distance from the Georgia state line, is not quintessentially Floridian in the way that Miami and Tampa are, which is to say no one really knows or cares about the place very much. I think that's why their neutrally modern uniforms from the 2000s suited them so well: like the Titans, they had the feeling of a Team From Nowhere that carried no alienating connotations. Some people may be put off by Miami in general. Others may feel that way about Buffalo. Jacksonville never did anything to anyone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd argue that most Florida teams in general should embrace being bright and colorful. Your nickname is the Sunshine State, after all, you're known for being brightly-lit. The eccentric "Florida Man" is one of the biggest memes related to your state. Bold and interesting palettes really shouldn't be that uncommon in teams when we're talking places like Tampa or Miami. Be colorful, be loud. It'll also make merchandise sales easier because you won't be the 30th team using the exact same dark tones.

The 90's Panthers colors are inherently superior to their modern colors for me for that reason, and it's also why I think the Lightning should just go for an electric blue/black/white combo; both are just louder then their current sets. And when I think South Florida, I do tend to think of bright sunny beaches and warm waters.

Jacksonville can get away with dark colors because it's basically right next to Georgia. Tampa Bay and Miami are not.

I mean I totally get what you are saying about Jacksonville and Georgia ( it's part of our TV market. ) But that being said, We like our bright colors like the rest of the state with the exception of a few outlier. TEAL should be and should always be our primary, no reason to have a team in Florida with a black primary IDGAF how cool or hip or sleek it looks.    

#DTWD #GoJaguars

1 hour ago, Rambulance said:

This thread is 382 pages of people yelling at others about their opinion of what the uniforms should be, while not listening to other's opinions.

For the record, the Rams DO NOT NEED WHITE!

The home uniform should be royal and sol, and that's it. The jersey on the away set can be white. They don't need to force it.

i'd argue that the name on the jerseys need to be white. For me, it's right up there with the Dodgers red numbers. So distinctive.

I know this is probably nothing. But, it's something to talk about. So, Tory Woodbury is the Assistant Special Teams Coach for the Rams. And he posted this on Twitter back on Feb. 21. It's just the royal throwback jersey with his name on the back. But what's interesting is, the yellow on the right side of the jersey below the sleeve? Because if you look closely, it looks like it is connected. It has the same mesh pattern that is on the bottom half of the jersey.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

I know this is probably nothing. But, it's something to talk about. So, Tory Woodbury is the Assistant Special Teams Coach for the Rams. And he posted this on Twitter back on Feb. 21. It's just the royal throwback jersey with his name on the back. But what's interesting is, the yellow on the right side of the jersey below the sleeve? Because if you look closely, it looks like it is connected. It has the same mesh pattern that is on the bottom half of the jersey.

That’s just the blue throwback jersey sitting on top of the yellow CR jersey.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

spacer.png

You can see right of the sleeve end that it's simply laying on a yellow backdrop.

10 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

spacer.png

Those are the pants, they have the same ventilation holes in the back 

Today, the Chargers posted a video on their social media platforms of Joey Bosa being shown their new uniforms during a Zoom meeting (unfortunately, but obviously, the uniforms are off camera). He commented on how he liked the simplicity of them. In other words, I don't think we'll see a gradient disaster like the Falcons and possibly Rams. Hopefully something more in line with the new Buccaneers uniforms as well as the Browns.

Archived