OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And with the amount of emphasis the gradient and split horn has in the branding... 😛 

 

The split horn actually serves a purpose in its other uses though. In the LA logo it makes the A more legible (I guess), and in the ram head logo it's part of the perspective. I would hope the designer would be smart enough to just take the shape of the new horn without the split and put it on the helmet. But again, those hopes aren't very high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, burgundy said:

In the LA logo it makes the A more legible (I guess), and in the ram head logo it's part of the perspective.

I don't have a problem with the segmented horn on the ram head logo. It is, as you said, natural given the perspective we're viewing the ram head at. Any profile view of the horns should remain solid, however. I've tried very hard to see the ram horn in the LA logo, and while I know what they're going for on an intellectual level? I'm just not "seeing" it. It looks more like a curvy A/wave and a crescent moon.

And the helmet? Eh...the helmet horns need to stay the same. The Rams' helmets- regardless of the colours used- are just one of those "classic" football looks. Going with a gradient and segmented horn seems like a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I don't have a problem with the segmented horn on the ram head logo. It is, as you said, natural given the perspective we're viewing the ram head at. Any profile view of the horns should remain solid, however. I've tried very hard to see the ram horn in the LA logo, and while I know what they're going for on an intellectual level? I'm just not "seeing" it. It looks more like a curvy A/wave and a crescent moon.

And the helmet? Eh...the helmet horns need to stay the same. The Rams' helmets- regardless of the colours used- are just one of those "classic" football looks. Going with a gradient and segmented horn seems like a bad idea.

 

Oh the LA logo is a total failure of logo design, no doubt about it. I was just saying that there's at least kind of a reason for the split, even if it is a stupid one.

 

And I would be relieved if they came out with the classic horns, but I think that ship has sailed. The best I'm hoping for is the new horn shape without the segmentation or gradients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rams look like shmucks , they had a layup and somewhat updated version of the the old LA Rams royal blue and athletic gold and you got a winner but they got too cute and look at them outsmarted by the Chargers😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

The Rams look like shmucks , they had a layup and somewhat updated version of the the old LA Rams royal blue and athletic gold and you got a winner but they got too cute and look at them outsmarted by the Chargers😂 

 

Why are some people acting like they've already seen the uniform?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Why are some people acting like they've already seen the uniform?

I think most people are using Canzman opinion & whats likely from the logos to decide these are going to be a gradient mess. I am holding out hope they did not mess with the helmet other than color but its really dim right now.☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Why are some people acting like they've already seen the uniform?

It feels kind of silly for the Rams to make such a big deal out of the gradient and the split horn in the new branding and then not use those elements on the most visible part of the brand on the actual field; which is why I think it's likely they have gradients and the split horn on their actual jerseys and helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IceCap said:

"Gas light"? "Manipulate"? Um...the first one is actually illegal and the second one is a pretty heinous descriptor. You sure you wanna go there over a message board dispute? 
 

Here's what I see. You posted...

 

"I gotta feeling it’s going to be a let down! Everything we’ve thought was going to be good, ended up being trash and everything we thought was going to be trash, ended up being almost perfect. The part that scares me is how well received they are amongst the players. I can only hope the emojis aren’t on the uniforms in any form or fashion."

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/121601-los-angeles-nfl-brands-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=3099972

 

People disagreed with this assessment because @canzman, who has insider info, indicated early on that the Bucs, Browns, and Chargers would have good looks. The Rams and Falcons would look bad, and that the Colts and Pats were "meh."

That opinion seemed to carry a lot of weight given canzman's credibility. 

 

Now let's look at what you said. 

"Everything we’ve thought was going to be good, ended up being trash and everything we thought was going to be trash, ended up being almost perfect."

 

This doesn't seem to line up with the majority opinion here. We were weary about the Rams' new logo, and most people here dislike it. We were told the Falcons would have bad uniforms, and most people here don't like those either. 

Meanwhile we were told that we could expect to like the Bucs and Browns' new unis, and the vast majority of people seem to like those. Even when we all thought the Bucs would drop orange? The attitude was "that sucks but they'll still look better than what they're currently wearing." 

 

So it seems that, from an honest reading of this board's general opinion that your statement is simply incorrect. Most people ended up liking what they were expecting to like, and have disliked what they were expecting to dislike. 

 

No one is "hating" on you, and no one is trying to gaslight or manipulate you ffs. 

People are, however, pointing out that on the whole your analysis doesn't seem to match the general thoughts of the community it's analyzing. 


1. People were losing their :censored: over rumors that the Bucs weren’t going to have any orange in their uniform as rumors suggested. There were countless post on how they were going to somehow screw it up. Turns out, they nailed it.


2. You got mad cause I dissed your Bucs beloved 70s uniforms and have been on my case since. BTW they still remind me of old Tupperware and kitchen countertops.

 

3. Misunderstanding or not, nobody feels like arguing with you after every post so please find someone else “FFS“. I’d like to get back to enjoying my time here without feeling bombarded with smart ass comments by people who are too grown to be acting like teenagers.

 

4. Lets move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Newport said:

I’d like to get back to enjoying my time here without feeling bombarded with smart ass comments by people who are too grown to be acting like teenagers.

Can I give you smart ass comments because I am a teenager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, colortv said:

I have a feeling this is similar to what the Rams will roll out:

 

 

 

As a fan... I... don't hate it.

 

Yes, gradients are a 90s relic but this... this actually kind of works.  And the helmet still keeps the spirit of the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is the actual helmet, the new horn looks way worse in practice, all I can see is a big crescent moon with some thicker Panthers center stripe above it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newport said:

People were losing their :censored: over rumors that the Bucs weren’t going to have any orange in their uniform as rumors suggested. There were countless post on how they were going to somehow screw it up. Turns out, they nailed it.

Most people were disappointed at the rumour that the Bucs would drop orange, but the vast majority of people thought that the rumoured unis would still be an improvement, even without orange.

 

1 hour ago, Newport said:

You got mad cause I dissed your Bucs beloved 70s uniforms and have been on my case since. BTW they still remind me of old Tupperware and kitchen countertops

I didn't get mad. I disagreed with you once. On one uniform. And I haven't been on your case since, at all. Rest assured I haven't intended to hound you at all. I assure you, I feel no ill-will towards you for a disagreement about one uniform over the internet.

 

1 hour ago, Newport said:

Misunderstanding or not, nobody feels like arguing with you after every post so please find someone else “FFS“. I’d like to get back to enjoying my time here without feeling bombarded with smart ass comments by people who are too grown to be acting like teenagers.

Again, I'm not bombarding you, and I doubt others were either. You made a blanket statement that seemed to run contrary to what others felt. And you seem to think others have it out for you, when I guarantee no one does. Which is why I've repeatedly asked everyone involved to calm down and think clearly.

Between you and me? We disagreed on one uniform. I never took it as anything but two people disagreeing. I'm legitimately sorry if stuff I have said or done since then has come across as me hounding you. It wasn't my intent.

And for the record the "FFS" bit was me expressing a degree of frustration. You accused me of gas lighting- a very serious crime- over a misunderstanding on a message board. Given the severity of that claim for something so small potatoes? I think I was justified to feel a bit frustrated.

 

1 hour ago, Newport said:

Lets move on.

I think we would all like that 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Rams looked at the embarrassment of riches that is their uniform history and got too cute. 
 

Wasn’t there a quote from someone in the organization that they were trying to bind together their history?

 

A lot of those designs from the 50’s/60’s to the Fearsome Foursome to the Dickerson to the Faulk era differ in terms of color scheme and design template with the helmet horns being the only consistent detail.

 

I wonder if they tried to reconcile all those differences and got too deep in the weeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Wasn’t there a quote from someone in the organization that they were trying to bind together their history?

The gradient of the LA is supposed to reflect that. The horn begins as white as the curve of the A, before transitioning into the gold of the horns. It's meant to tie in with the old white horns the team had. I have to think this was a Demoff mandate. The fans obviously prefer blue and gold, but Demoff has expressed a preference for the blue and white look. Wouldn't shock me if he insisted on some sort of nod to the blue and white days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the move to LA the Rams can't decide if they are a blue/gold or blue/white team. If they go with gradients it just shows they can't decide on anything. It would be like the Bucs going with an orange to pewter gradient on everything because they couldn't pick an era. Not sure why teams just don't listen to what fans want. They are buying the jerseys after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The gradient of the LA is supposed to reflect that. The horn begins as white as the curve of the A, before transitioning into the gold of the horns. It's meant to tie in with the old white horns the team had. I have to think this was a Demoff mandate. The fans obviously prefer blue and gold, but Demoff has expressed a preference for the blue and white look. Wouldn't shock me if he insisted on some sort of nod to the blue and white days.

 

17 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Since the move to LA the Rams can't decide if they are a blue/gold or blue/white team. If they go with gradients it just shows they can't decide on anything. It would be like the Bucs going with an orange to pewter gradient on everything because they couldn't pick an era. Not sure why teams just don't listen to what fans want. They are buying the jerseys after all. 

 

41 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I wonder if the Rams looked at the embarrassment of riches that is their uniform history and got too cute. 
 

Wasn’t there a quote from someone in the organization that they were trying to bind together their history?

 

A lot of those designs from the 50’s/60’s to the Fearsome Foursome to the Dickerson to the Faulk era differ in terms of color scheme and design template with the helmet horns being the only consistent detail.

 

I wonder if they tried to reconcile all those differences and got too deep in the weeds. 

 

 

Quote

“The one thing we heard consistently from our fans over and over in the process was they had a real preference for blue and yellow and the horns,” Rams COO Kevin Demoff told The Los Angeles Times. “The people said the Los Angeles Rams were about blue and yellow and the horns. We really took that to heart and that was the design premise that we started with. There is also a different subset of fans that liked blue and white, so we have also included white as our third color because it does play a part in our history.”

 

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/los-angeles-rams-unveil-new-logo-rebrand

 

Quote

“We always looked at blue and yellow and white; we looked at a wide range of things around that as accent colors,” Kevin Demoff, the Rams chief operating officer, said, via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN. “But at the end of the day, that was one place we knew our fans weren’t going to compromise.”

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/23/rams-new-logo-colors/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think white can work as an accent colour but I hope they don't have a gradient, I can't see it looking great. Not ready to totally write it off but I can't see how it'll look better than a solid colour. 

 

I think the split horn is a nice modernisation though, I think that'll look fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really starting to wonder what's up with all this excessive praise of the new Chargers uniforms. Everyone seems to like the powder blue/throwback style looks, but isn't that pretty much what was expected of them with this uniform unveil? I'm confused why everyone (players, analysts, reporters) are claiming they are clearly the best uniforms ever as though it's something unexpected and revolutionary.

 

I'm not saying I don't think it will be a good look, but I'm just confused why there is so much hype, especially when their regular powder blue was fine the way it was, and since we all pretty much have a general idea of what to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

I'm just confused why there is so much hype, especially when their regular powder blue was fine the way it was, and since we all pretty much have a general idea of what to expect.

Exactly that; we have a general idea that they're not going to :censored: the bed. It's why the Rams have been consistently dunked on and the Chargers haven't; one did a excessively cute rebrand with way too many overthought details, the other just did what was necessary and left it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.