Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

40 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

I'm really starting to wonder what's up with all this excessive praise of the new Chargers uniforms. Everyone seems to like the powder blue/throwback style looks, but isn't that pretty much what was expected of them with this uniform unveil? I'm confused why everyone (players, analysts, reporters) are claiming they are clearly the best uniforms ever as though it's something unexpected and revolutionary.

I'm not saying I don't think it will be a good look, but I'm just confused why there is so much hype, especially when their regular powder blue was fine the way it was, and since we all pretty much have a general idea of what to expect.

If you're referring to the set they just finished using, then it's because they weren't a good look, necessarily. They were just the better option of that whole set. The Agency numbers were old within a few years, if not right away as it was merely a trend. The bolts curving down or straight or whatever that was, was not good either. The curved pant stripe, not good. And all the navy shoehorned in there because they wanted to have the best of both worlds, was not done so well. Again, it was their better option and then they finally changed the primary last season, pleasing everyone... because of what the other option was.

This redesign (hopefully) will correct the mistakes to make the uniforms actually good because they're good and not just good in context.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly that; we have a general idea that they're not going to :censored: the bed. It's why the Rams have been consistently dunked on and the Chargers haven't; one did a excessively cute rebrand with way too many overthought details, the other just did what was necessary and left it at that.

Except that, once again, we haven't seen either one of them yet.

Wait... Two Away Uniforms? @ :18 Seconds

Also, something is mentioned that apparently has been asked for for awhile, hence the "we got the redacted" and "finally gave us the redacted"

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

Wait... Two Away Uniforms? @ :18 Seconds

Also, something is mentioned that apparently has been asked for for awhile, hence the "we got the redacted" and "finally gave us the redacted"

I'd feel better if, along with these guys, there was some forty year old fat guy from Sheboygan giving a big thumbs up.  You know, just covering all the bases.

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly that; we have a general idea that they're not going to :censored: the bed. It's why the Rams have been consistently dunked on and the Chargers haven't; one did a excessively cute rebrand with way too many overthought details, the other just did what was necessary and left it at that.

Funny how in their anti-Rams, pro-Chargers design opinions, people forget this:

spacer.png

6 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

I'm really starting to wonder what's up with all this excessive praise of the new Chargers uniforms. Everyone seems to like the powder blue/throwback style looks, but isn't that pretty much what was expected of them with this uniform unveil? I'm confused why everyone (players, analysts, reporters) are claiming they are clearly the best uniforms ever as though it's something unexpected and revolutionary.

I'm not saying I don't think it will be a good look, but I'm just confused why there is so much hype, especially when their regular powder blue was fine the way it was, and since we all pretty much have a general idea of what to expect.

There are many lists that claim the Chargers' powder blue throwbacks are the best uniform in sports. So I get the hype if the new unis are a faithful modernization of that design.

1 hour ago, rjrrzube said:

Funny how in their anti-Rams, pro-Chargers design opinions, people forget this:

Almost like what happened three years ago has no baring on uniforms and logos being released today 😛

25 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Almost like what happened three years ago has no baring on uniforms and logos being released today 😛

And like what we think we know today has no bearing on what actually is true! 

Holding my detailed analysis of the unis until i actually see them! 

9 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

The Chargers' LA-bolt was very quickly and publically dropped after the backlash. There wasn't an attempt to defend it, the logo just immediately died and the Chargers admitted they'd cocked up soon afterwards. And literally everything about their recently-revealed branding has proven very, very well-handled; they've done everything the fans have wanted and haven't overthought the logo set to high hell, which is generally a sign they also didn't overthink the uniform design, either.

The Rams' logos were derided when they were leaked, derided when they were officially revealed and are derided now, despite the team doubling-down on them, for the same reasons every single time; being excessively overthought nonsense that tried to add way too many elements at once. The entire brand is littered with peak Nikespeak(tm), and the fact they overthought the logo branding so dramatically is not a good sign as to the uniform design not also being dramatically overthought.

32 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

The Chargers certainly won the PR battle with the logos. It's not like people are saying this stuff based on nothing.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd feel better if, along with these guys, there was some forty year old fat guy from Sheboygan giving a big thumbs up.  You know, just covering all the bases.

I'm 40 minutes from Sheboygan. But the boxes of forty and fat guy are spot on. If someone wants to share early with me I'll give you the answer

26 minutes ago, Newport said:

Much better than the Chargers emoji logo.

Ech, not a chance. The emoji's a goofy little miscellaneous logo, the LA-bolt was going to be the primary logo. I can deal with a goofy misc. logo you're only going to see on merch or stadium display screens. Making your primary logo literally look like lightning sperm was a far, far, faaaar more asinine move then introducing a goofy little side thing.

Archived