Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

EXCEPT I DID’T SAY THAT! I said that the board generally prefers traditional looks and will frown upon modern designs and people who like them. I apologized for making generalizations. Will you let me live it down?

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the dozens of posters in the YEARS I've been here who've said those words verbatim. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chargers absolutely knocked this out of the park! The primaries are awesome and the alternates do a good job of embracing past looks while being different enough from said looks. I would imagine the navy will only be used for night games? 

BTW, I would imagine the Chargers justified not having TV numbers to the league by having the numbers on the helmet?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

The Chargers absolutely knocked this out of the park! The primaries are awesome and the alternates do a good job of embracing past looks while being different enough from said looks. I would imagine the navy will only be used for night games? 

BTW, I would imagine the Chargers justified not having TV numbers to the league by having the numbers on the helmet?

If the new Patriots uniforms are any indication, the league may be relaxing that.

42 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I love it too. Don't fall into the forum's peer pressure. It's sweet and evokes the Chargers us millennials grew up with. 

Legitimately my favorite part, too. Standard color scheme is good and right but too light for my tastes, royal is too Rams-lite to make any sense as previously mentioned...

But that navy one looks really sharp, and to me that fits the template of a good Color Rush uniform, in that it's not merely a color swap but offers a fresh take on the regular jerseys in a new way.

Only problem is that the dark filled-in bolt on the helmet is stupid. But it looks fine on the jerseys. Has a sorta neon outline look going, which is cool. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I’ve always been pedantic about the bolt being on a consistent color background, but the way they’ve done it really works, maybe because it’s so hard to fit a panel on a jersey nowadays without making everything cramped. Number font isn’t the best but it’s good enough that it doesn’t bother me and it’s a huge upgrade on Agency. I love the pant bolt and every white pants option looks fantastic

I believe helmets should never be the lightest item on a uniform  so I never liked the historical yellow pants with the white helmets. However, these do a good enough job including enough yellow in the jersey and helmet, while not making the white helmet look like a mistake that I might be willing to set these as an exception. It’s a really bright uniform, but I won’t make a judgement until I see them on the field. I would have preferred powder pants but oh well.

The navy color rush is amazing. It’s very modern but it’s also clearly inspired by the Chargers history. Has a great electric feel, good job making  the bolts consistently  navy with a yellow outline and not just filling the bolt in white. By contrast I don’t like the royal blue one, especially since it’s treads on the Rams a little too closely, but I’ve never liked the previous color rush either. 

I’m ambivalent on the helmet numbers, they clutter the helmet but they would have also cluttered the jersey. Maybe the sleeve would be preferable simply because a helmet is more of a logo than a jersey. I would have preferred powder facemasks, but if they insist on having yellow pants the yellow probably is needed.

Overall, a 9.5/10. I think this might be my favorite new uniforms since I’ve started watching the sport. The only one that comes close in the Nike era is the Vikings 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

39 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The helmets would look a lot better without the numbers.

Should have put the numbers on the sleeves. 

I like the numbers but hate the font. If they used a reworked Bears font for both the jerseys and the helmets they’d get a 10/10 from me 

Now that TV numbers apparently aren’t mandatory, how many teams will be dropping theirs? 

I could see Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Carolina nix them. And it wouldn’t be stunning to see the Rams, with whatever they come up with, do the same. 

The helmet numbers effectively replace the TV numbers.

I never thought we'd see helmet numbers again, because of merchandising.  What number do people that want a helmet buy?  You don't want to get a player one, because like a jersey, it'd be out of date when the player leaves.  Also, in promotional material, what number do they use?  Some of that material (like pennants) get used for years, so can't be player specific.

I think putting "L A" in place of the numbers would have been a good compromise between the look of the numbers, but more practicality, and cement them as an LA team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really love these, for the most part. The home and away jerseys look excellent, and I really like the two pants options. I don't like either color rush look, but I would if they had contrasting pants. Obviously though, two color rushes is too many. I'd prefer non-italicized numbers, but I think the Chargers can pull off italics better than most. I actually quite like the helmet number, but I wish that one wasn't italic.

The shoulder bolts worry me though. They seem weirdly elongated at the ends.

I'm a big fan of their logo and new graphic identity as a whole. Like, really big fan. Because of that, I'm surprised how much I hate the new uniforms. Hopefully they'll grow on me, but I don't see that happening. On white backgrounds we see yellow outlined in light blue and light blue outlined in white. On light blu backgrounds we see white outlined in yellow and yellow outlined in white. It doesn't work for me at all. I don't like the number font, I don't like the numbers on the helmets, and I don't like the yellow pants having a white bolt but the bolt on every other regular uniform option is yellow. When the logos were released their colors wowed me, yet they somehow made a uniform set where my favorite combo is the navy color rush. Big swing, big miss IMO. Glad most of you seem to like them but they just look off to me because of all the inconsistent color decisions.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The helmet numbers effectively replace the TV numbers.

I never thought we'd see helmet numbers again, because of merchandising.  What number do people that want a helmet buy?  You don't want to get a player one, because like a jersey, it'd be out of date when the player leaves.  Also, in promotional material, what number do they use?  Some of that material (like pennants) get used for years, so can't be player specific.

I think putting "L A" in place of the numbers would have been a good compromise between the look of the numbers, but more practicality, and cement them as an LA team.

Good question... I know U of Alabama retail helmets sell with the number of national titles they have on the helmet, so something with precedent like that would work.  Maybe the year the franchise was established?

I think it's the helmet numbers that I don't like. A bit too cluttered IMO, although still a great set.

All white is easily the best look here, followed by powder blue over white. I like the yellow pants on the away but not the home (I've never been a fan of the helmet being the lightest color when all three elements are different - see Wyoming's home uniform for more examples of that). I shouldn't like the navy but it's growing on me.

ExJworW.png

Archived