Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 minute ago, TBGKon said:

Good question... I know U of Alabama retail helmets sell with the number of national titles they have on the helmet, so something with precedent like that would work.  Maybe the year the franchise was established?

I’m a big fan of this idea. If there’s any question, it’s a simple and easy enough reference to point to and answer with. I think that’s the way to go.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The helmet numbers effectively replace the TV numbers.

I never thought we'd see helmet numbers again, because of merchandising.  What number do people that want a helmet buy?  You don't want to get a player one, because like a jersey, it'd be out of date when the player leaves.  Also, in promotional material, what number do they use?  Some of that material (like pennants) get used for years, so can't be player specific.

I think putting "L A" in place of the numbers would have been a good compromise between the look of the numbers, but more practicality, and cement them as an LA team.

I know that when I get a mini helmet that has numbers I go with the year that helmet began its existence. 

39 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Speaking of the Rams, boy will their uniform letdown be even more of a crash-and-burn when they’re compared to these (assuming they do really suck like we’re all expecting)

The Rams really have been pretty star-crossed in all this. Their plan was to unveil new uniforms and logos when the new stadium opened. Then the stadium was delayed a year because Los Angeles had a thunderstorm the likes of which Illinois gets about once a month. Then the goddamn Chinese nuked the entire global economy because they ate flying rats from a sidewalk sale and gave everyone the plague. Now they might not even get to play in the new stadium this year and no one has any money to buy their ugly gradient logo anyway. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Rams really have been pretty star-crossed in all this. Their plan was to unveil new uniforms and logos when the new stadium opened. Then the stadium was delayed a year because Los Angeles had a thunderstorm the likes of which Illinois gets about once a month. Then the goddamn Chinese nuked the entire global economy because they ate flying rats from a sidewalk sale and gave everyone the plague. Now they might not even get to play in the new stadium this year and no one has any money to buy their ugly gradient logo anyway. 

This is the most entertaining summary of the entire world I've read yet. 

Couldn't figure out how to embed from Instagram, but if you look at the @michaelirwinco Chargers post, it displays the full number font, 0-9.  He also has a post up on his page with some other fascinating shots surrounding the redesign. 

MOD EDIT: Here you go. Paste the Instagram URL without the ? and all the characters behind it.

Dare I say it, I almost like the Chargers new uniforms better than the new Browns uniforms. Almost. (As a Browns fan, I'm contractually obligated, etc.) I'm not crazy about the two mono-blue looks, but the rest? 10/10. Outstanding. 

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think they look bad but it is a disappointing end product. For the most part they just made a lot of decisions that I wouldn't. I prefer panels on the uniforms and pants because otherwise it feels fairly empty. While the helmet numbers are fine, I think their helmet is better without them. But arguably this is a lateral move when everyone wanted an upgrade.

As for the extra looks, navy looks fine but you don't need it. The royal is also fun but even less necessary when you remember who your roommate is.

EDIT: This probably came off more negative than necessary. They did well and could conceivably stick to this, it just isn't my ideal look for them.

Also, I'm giving this a 9.9/10.  My only gripe, and it's so minor, is that the wordmark isn't included below the collar.  I know teams are going away from this in today's NFL, but that's something I always liked (as long as it wasn't the size of a billboard *cough ATL cough*) 

Just now, JOEYxFRESCO said:

Couldn’t pin point why I hate the numbers so much but then I remembered the old FUBU jerseys from the 90s that use italicized numbersspacer.png

Holy hell that does look a lot like the new Buccaneers jersey. 

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Dare I say it, I almost like the Chargers new uniforms better than the new Browns uniforms. Almost. (As a Browns fan, I'm contractually obligated, etc.) I'm not crazy about the two mono-blue looks, but the rest? 10/10. Outstanding. 

This is where I am, too. I don't want to dock them for the bad uniforms out of some hope that they'll never get around to wearing them in the first place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm nominating this for POTD. (Hell, the bolded line alone is POTD worthy.)

Can I get a second?  

BB52Big.jpg

I think I’d prefer single color numbers on the primary home and away jerseys. You can’t really see the yellow outline against the white anyway and the numbers would match the helmet numbers.

Archived