Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to get some better pictures than what I have seen but this looks good.

Things I would have like to have seen:

1. Better number font something that is a little more edgy would work for the Chargers.
  2. No numbers on the helmets.
  3. No big marketing on the side for Nike. I would have put numbers there just so they would not occupy all of that space.
  4. Yellow pants as a one off but primary white then powder blue for a few games.
  5. I would like the bolts to be consistent across all jerseys & pants
  6. No need for the Navy alternate                                                                  

Overall they are good just not what I would like to see. I will wait for the final opinion when we see these on the field or maybe on players shots.

I really love this update all around. I don’t want to expand too much because other users have pretty much summed up all of the thoughts that I have, namely @FinsUp1214 with the post quoted below. I will say, though, that I actually like both Color Rush sets on their own, I just think they should’ve stuck with one (probably the navy) instead of rolling with both. I don’t think they confuse the brand, though, as both CR sets connect back to a significant portion of the team’s history and I like limiting the royal and navy to the CR sets rather than muddling up the primary branding and uniforms trying to incorporate all of the colors.

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m usually a stickler for the bolt being against the same consistent color background, but you know what? Somehow the way they’ve done it is really working for me. Maybe because they’ve treated the bolt AS the stripe rather than contained within one? I don’t know, but they found a way to make it really work. I’m really happy with that.

The home and road combos are excellent. They’ve really done a fantastic job of modernizing a classic, and somehow managed to even clean it up just a smidge. I also love the lack of a jersey wordmark, and the helmet numbers really work fine for me honestly (lots of historical precedence for them, they’re not just “tacked on”). The new bolt looks great on a helmet, too.

My only gripes are the color rushes, while the designs aren’t horrible, they look extremely out of place when compared with the powder blue stuff (and the powder blue hype). This kind of “wheel of alternates” does more to confuse a brand than diversify it, and I don’t like the idea of them making a big deal of simplifying things back down to powder blue and yellow, only to come back and re-introduce two other blues they’d presumably dropped. That’s the one unfortunate mistake they’ve made here, and it’s really going to look like a mistake when one of those sets are worn for a prime time game and not the powder blue they’ve supposedly championed again. 

Again though, everything else is fantastic. I’d say this is a really deep triple; shed the color rushes and it’s a grand slam.

With the combos they have, I hope the frequency that they wear each combo sort of follows how they’re shown here from left to right:

spacer.png

If there’s an even split of games wearing color and games wearing white, I’d like the breakdown to be as follows:

Powder over white : 4 games

Powder over gold: 2 games

Royal CR: 1 game

Navy CR: 1 game

White over gold: 5 games

White over white: 3 games

I like the gold pants but would prefer they emphasize the powder over white as the primary home combo. I’d like to see them go with the white over gold as the primary road combo, still wearing the all-white a few times as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, Digby said:

If I may dissent -- those numbers aren't bad but a little bit 90s NASCAR for me. Better than Agency, but still not sure that this fits the team.

When the Chargers unveiled their new logos back in March, they said that Southern California automobile culture was an inspiration for the alphanumeric font.

"The bold, italicized font and numbers are an ode to an era that saw legendary Mustang modifier Carroll Shelby set up shop in Marina del Rey and Latino youths on the Eastside turn 1940s cars into sleek, irreverent lowriders. The font and numbers, like a souped-up Shelby, symbolize speed, power and constant forward motion while their placement within the brand is a nod to modifying a classic."

Man, that royal blue looks like something the Rams may choose but that's on the Rams for dragging this out. I really wouldn't mind the yellow jerseys at home and white on the road for the Rams. Of course, the helmet's another story. I'll keep saying it, those Chargers home and away are beautiful. Now I can get an authentic white one that missed out on in 2009 sans the TV numbers.

The more I see different photos, and photos of real jerseys...the yellow pants are really the only thing I don't like. Everything else is pretty damn good. 

What a great update. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Chargers, especially for having changed uniforms so often, have one of the best uniform histories in the game. The one thing I'm really against though, is having white helmets-blue jerseys-gold pants combos. I absolutely hate it.

Anyway, I like this update. There have been so many uniform updates for the coming season that might happen, and it has been shocking how many I haven't hated. Specifically, I have only hated the Falcons update. Still wary of what the Rams are going to do though.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The powder blue & white jerseys with white pants are definitely the best looks of the set, so hopefully they're heaviest in the rotation. Unfortunately because there are so many combinations the so-called "primary" looks might only be worn 4 or 5 times. They really should've just pulled a 49ers and gone with more of a straight adaptation of the early '60s look. 

Having 3 different blue jerseys is completely unnecessary. The royal seems like it'll step on the Rams toes, and the all-navy is just fishing for fire emojis. Seems like a case of them trying to have their cake & eat it too. 

This is becoming a problem around the league. We're lucky if a team wears their actual standard look for half of their home games. Ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

This is becoming a problem around the league. We're lucky if a team wears their actual standard look for half of their home games. Ridiculous.

Exactly. Look at the new Chargers combos. What's the home set? Who knows?

Request: Can someone mock up mix/match combos with the color rush uniforms? Royal over navy, navy over yellow, royal over white, etc?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If the Chargers were smart, they’d have white/blue/white as default home, and then market three other looks as “options” as so:

L - Legendary (white/blue/yellow)

A - Alternate

C - Color Rush

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm glad someone bucked the trend on going back to blockish numbers for an update.  I was dreading that for the Chargers.

I agree, and not a font that is trying to be too creative or custom either is really nice.

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

I absolutely and fully 100% DESPISE those gold pants. Gold pants have NEVER worked for the Chargers, and the combination of white helmet, powder jersey, and gold pants is vomit inducing, and always has been. That particular color combination IMO is the downright ugliest uniform combo any team in the history of the NFL has ever worn. It sucked back in the 60s/70s, and it’s even worse now. Banish those pants to hell and you’ve got a really good set here. 

Never? Really? Duuuuuuuuuude..

On 4/6/2020 at 1:31 PM, duxrcool048 said:

Sorry, but I have to agree with this.

spacer.png

the only thing is they said they want cohesion throughout the brand with the horn design, so it leads you to think the right could be the case.
Potentially even with the gradient.
I don't think just because it wasn't the case before that it's outside the realm of possibility now.

These are pretty good. The Chargers have done the “modern version of a classic” the best. They took the time visualize what the classic would look like if made today. I appreciate this more than the Bucs or Browns bringing back the classic uniforms on a modern template. Those scream “we failed at modern design so back to the safe zone.” The Chargers nailed modern design, and it feels classic.

The home and away are great. The yellow pants are nice, but I wonder if they should exist considering the Rams will likely use yellow pants full time. That being said the white over yellow away is class, so I’m torn. That away with powder over white at home are probably the best looks.

There are some cons. The helmet numbers aren’t necessary to me. Quite frankly they should be on the shoulder or the sleeves. I don’t need the swoosh having all that real estate to itself. The other con is the color rush uniforms. In a vacuum they are kinda nice. The problem is they would look better with different color pants to properly pay homage to the eras they are referring to. Which defeats the purpose of CR; so why have them?

My Rams have their work cut out for them. They won’t lose the city, but hot damn they could lose the uniform war. Please don’t screw this up!

I've noticed a little inconsistency on the Chargers' navy CR uniform.  The bolts on jersey and pants are not filled in with white, which I guess is done to match the helmet logo?  The numbers on the jersey are white which goes against the uniformity pattern they used on the other color rush uniform, which matched everything. I think if they'd have filled the bolts white instead of navy it would improve the look; even better if they'd use their historical navy helmet.  Not sure the navy bolt has any historical significance but it doesn't feel balanced with it.  

Archived