Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, larrypep said:

The Chargers will probably wear their powder blues at home a maximum of four times. They will have at least two with the color rush, maybe a third.  And they normally wear white at home in September.  

Hmmmmmm...I’d go, maybe white once or twice, royal blue once, navy blue once or twice, and powder blue the rest of the time. They can mix and match white and yellow pants at will - those are both can’t-miss options. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Right, because the uniform the Rams just released is so crappy...

Wait...

Based on logos, the gradients and what others who've seen the Rams new set have said, I'm willing to take my chances that the Rams uniform set won't be as good as what the Chargers released today.

21 minutes ago, Est1980 said:

I've noticed a little inconsistency on the Chargers' navy CR uniform.  The bolts on jersey and pants are not filled in with white, which I guess is done to match the helmet logo?  The numbers on the jersey are white which goes against the uniformity pattern they used on the other color rush uniform, which matched everything. I think if they'd have filled the bolts white instead of navy it would improve the look; even better if they'd use their historical navy helmet.  Not sure the navy bolt has any historical significance but it doesn't feel balanced with it.  

My guess is next year they will have a navy helmet if the one shell rule does get overturned.

A lot of these teams seem like they intentionally left an opening for a second helmet color within their new looks.
Falcons with Red, Pats with White for a Pat Patriot throwback, Bucs with White for a Creamsicle throwback.
Unfortunately the Colts potentially having an All black alt. And now the Chargers with Navy.

So the bolts would all be consistent then. The Numbers being White might've just been a readability issue for broadcast. The thin yellow outline not reading as well.

4 minutes ago, OBomb said:

Based on logos, the gradients and what others who've seen the Rams new set have said, I'm willing to take my chances that the Rams uniform set won't be as good as what the Chargers released today.

Telephone is one hell of a game

5 minutes ago, BandaBassotti said:

There really was room for tv numbers, and the fact that they dumped em is saddening

What use is a TV number on the shoulders of the jersey when it's going to be on the helmet anyways? It'd be an entirely redundant design choice to have two sets of TV numbers right next to one another.

Had some time to digest these and I'm just not feeling that number font in the slightest. Having to see it on all the helmets only makes it worse.

Everything else is pretty great. Will be even better when they add a navy helmet next season.

TV numbers aren't necessary with the quality of the monitors that folks in booths have now. I say scrap them and give more real estate for unique designs. In some cases, TV numbers can make a jersey look more complete. But in others, there's no need. The Chargers wanted to bring back the helmet numbers here so there's really no point in having TV numbers on top of that. Would be like when the Panthers had the Panther logo on the side of the helmet, jersey and pants. 

The Chargers now have a top 5 set of uniforms in the NFL. You can't say that about any of the other offseason team changes. The royal blue alt is pointless and infringes on Rams territory. I hope they rarely wear them. 

Everyone loves a roundel.

6 minutes ago, uniguy22 said:

Did a quick Paint mock-up of what powder blue pants could look like, with powder blue socks and yellow socks. I think I prefer the yellow sock option best. I still prefer  the white pants though. 

spacer.png

I don't think powder blue pants fit this set. The gold acts as a rare alt color and the white is the default pants color, which doesn't really leave room for powder blue. I appreciate that, since it means we'll avoid color rush options for the primary looks.

the user formerly known as cdclt

The helmet is gorgeous in that Austin Ekeler pic. I like the placement of the bolt it fits the helmet nicely. I do not like the numbers though. Does anyone else feel the numbers just look oddly lined up instead of slanted. I do not know how to explain it but the more I see of them the less I like them.

I also wanna mention how much I love the way the Chargers handled the rollout of these uniforms. From the surprise drop of the logo (the day after the Rams, no less), to the confidence and swagger to say “we know we have the best uniforms, but we’re gonna make them even better,” to then (in my opinion) actually delivering on it! And the guts in their reveal video to essentially say “who cares?” about NikeSpeak explanations of design choices is refreshing (and I say that as a person who generally enjoys NikeSpeak - so long as it results in a good design). The emoticons for social media are also a super cool way to handle a modern branding, which is a nice counter to the Rams tradition and roots in LA. I’ve got to be honest, if I was a Los Angeles sports fan with no prior allegiances, I might be leaning towards choosing the Chargers right about now. 

49 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

My guess is next year they will have a navy helmet if the one shell rule does get overturned.

A lot of these teams seem like they intentionally left an opening for a second helmet color within their new looks.
Falcons with Red, Pats with White for a Pat Patriot throwback, Bucs with White for a Creamsicle throwback.
Unfortunately the Colts potentially having an All black alt. And now the Chargers with Navy.

So the bolts would all be consistent then. The Numbers being White might've just been a readability issue for broadcast. The thin yellow outline not reading as well.

The Colts better not unveil an all-black set, ever. They never need to be anything other than blue and white. And they aren’t a college team. 

Archived