Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

The helmet is gorgeous in that Austin Ekeler pic. I like the placement of the bolt it fits the helmet nicely. I do not like the numbers though. Does anyone else feel the numbers just look oddly lined up instead of slanted. I do not know how to explain it but the more I see of them the less I like them.

Yes.. they almost made the “vertical” (slanted) lines of the numbers closer to plumb and the horizontal lines that are supposed to be level are somewhat slanted.. I’m seeing what you’re seeing

14 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

Chargers unis obviously rule but is anyone concerned that the royal blue set will look similar to the Rams?

They've had these similar colors in the past. As long as they're not worn in the same fashion, it shouldn't be an issue. I posted a Chargers/Rams game from '79 if you wanna see how close it can get in motion. 

1 hour ago, KJTALBOT said:

The Chargers now have a top 5 set of uniforms in the NFL. You can't say that about any of the other offseason team changes. 

Do the Browns, Colts, and arguably the Buccaneers simply not exist? All three improved dramatically alongside the Chargers

1 minute ago, Maroon&Gold said:

God will strike you dead before you finish the sentence. Its literally impossible to say, I had a friend try it and he was sent straight to hell. RIP Billy

lol, what.

Excellent!

1 hour ago, KJTALBOT said:

The Chargers now have a top 5 set of uniforms in the NFL. You can't say that about any of the other offseason team changes.

15 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Why not? 

Yeah, you could make that case.  At least top ten.  I'd put Cleveland, Indy, Tampa, and the Chargers all in the top ten NFL right now. (Bears, Chiefs, 49ers, Raiders... yeah, it works.)

One thing to note about this set:

Yes there are two CR sets but there is not one leotard look in the main sets. 

Given what's been rolled out, I would've expected a solid white socks with white pants set, or powder pants with powder socks. However, all of the non-CR options definitely have white bottomed socks with contrasting colored tops. 

That's going to look so nice on the field. 

Lost in all of this was this gem...

spacer.png

I have to think that's a shot at the Rams and their "golden ratio" nonsense. Also a shot at the over-thought design-speak that usually accompanies a rebrand. Big thanks to infrared41 for the image.

39 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

Chargers unis obviously rule but is anyone concerned that the royal blue set will look similar to the Rams?

It's an alternate that will be worn once a year at most.

I am getting increasingly worried that the Rams are gonna end up looking way too similar to this, especially since the Chargers went the yellow pants route.

Instead of a bolt in the corner, it will likely be the weird new crescent moon horns on a royal jersey over yellow pants. And these teams will be sharing a stadium...

I can't decide which is more shocking/frustrating:

No silver pants for the Pats

No powder pants for the Chargers

The Chargers in powder over yellow reminds me of when the Ravens wore purple over gold. Just seems way too forced and feels out of place.

1. I love the new number font. However, I actually kinda miss the middle navy outline on the numbers. It helped the yellow outline to pop more. But, it would look out of place without any other navy so I don't mind it. 

2. I'm very happy they decided to keep the yellow facemasks. They work even better with this set. 

3. The yellow pants work really well. I prefer the white pants at home, but they look great with the road set. So much better than mono-powder blue.

4. The fact this set still works excellently despite a lack of navy is a testament to the ability to use a simple color palette and still have an amazing uniform set.

5. I really don't mind the lack of TV numbers. With the helmet numbers (which I surprisingly like), TV numbers would be ridiculously redundant. 

6. The royal blue set looks good, but the navy set is unneeded. It's NFNS and I've never been a fan of any iteration of a darker Chargers logo surrounded by a lighter highlight, especially on a white helmet. 

Overall, I love this update. Along with the updated logo, the Chargers continue to knock updates out of the park. 

Ok, these are an 8.5/10. positives first.

• Primary powder jersey(no explanation needed)
  • Helmet numbers are a nice nod to the 1960's Chargers, which heavily inspired this look
  • Yellow pants pop nicely.

Now the negatives:

• Where the :censored: are my powder pants?
  • Royal CR look extremely similar to their stadium owners, the Rams
  • Navy CR should be struck by lightning bolt (pun intended)

That ties them with the Browns @ #3 in Uniform rebrands

1. Buccaneers (11/10)
  2. Colts (9.5/10)   [No need for "Anvil Black" -0.5]
  3. Browns (8.5/10)   [No orange pants? Mono-turd look? -1.5],  Chargers (8.5/10) [See above]
  4. Hopefully Rams
  5. Patriots (7/10)   [Only one set of pants? Needs silver/white pants -3]
  10.  Realistically Rams
  11. Falcons (0.5/10)   ["ATL" is too big, #'s are too big, matte helmet? GRADIENT JERSEY?? -9.5]

Using their 2019 schedule as a template, I would expect the combos in 2020 to resemble something like:

Wk 1 vs IND  white on white (even in new dome this wouldn't surprise me, wore white for home Monday night opener in 2013 vs. HOU)

Wk 3 vs HOU   powder blue over white

Wk 5 vs DEN  powder blue over yellow

Wk 6 vs PIT (SNF) navy Color rush

Wk 9 vs GB  powder blue over white

Wk 11 vs. KC  royal Color Rush

Wk 15 vs MIN powder blue over yellow

Wk 16 vs LVR powder blue over white

Archived