Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Forgive me for not wanting to scroll thru 10000000000 pages of 048e251e19ec517b2dabce6509844f0d.thumb.jpg.aeffc9edfe458f179359bc484bd626d1.jpg -- Do the Rams have a release date yet?

Colortv or the photo? Either way I tend to agree :P 

Also as far as I've heard or seen, it's some time after the draft, prolly May or something. The Admiral's POTD said something about unveiling the uniforms when they unveil the stadium, but I don't know how possible (or credible) that is.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised how much love the Charger's set is getting.  It's fine, but through their history they've always been at least fine.  

Upgrade: the "bolt" on jersey and pants looks slightly better when not surrounded by white rectangle

Meh: yellow pants aren't as garish as I feared, but IMO aren't necessary.  Yellow has been a trim color for 35 years now, and you're in the same city as a royal and yellow team.

Still bad: a color scheme with two blues I can understand, but three?  No thanks, lose the royal entirely.  Again, you're in LA, have a unique identity.

Still bad: It's hard to tell with lighting, but I feel like the powder blue of the last set is more saturated than the classics.  Someone correct me, but I'd prefer them a LITTLE less "bright".  I also feel like their navy has gotten brighter between the 90s set and 2019.  I'd prefer the darker, nearly black.

Downgrade: the navy set needs white bolts, as @j'villejagsshowed.  Not sure how this would look with white helmet.  Also curious how whole set would look with navy helmet.  Maybe @j'villejags can work some more photoshop magic?

Downgrade: another new font.  If you wanted a custom font what was wrong with the one used previously?  I wouldn't have been opposed to the classic block either.

Downgrade: probably unpopular, but I think having navy and powder blue trim on every uniform aspect brought the set together.  The 60s set and 90s set were both awesome, but if you want to identify with both colors I'd prefer you wear both every week.

So my thoughts...

Brilliance. The Colour Rush sets are dumb, and I'm convinced the navy one only exists because of Spanos, but like the Bucs and Browns? I'll accept dumb alternates for nice primaries. And the primaries here are nice

I was never a fan of the gold/yellow pants, but they're not egregiously bad and they're fine as a change up. 

I admit I miss the panels for the bolts on the jerseys but what they went with is growing on me. Otherwise? The home and road jerseys look sharp. 

I love the new pant bolt. It's no longer that wave tribal bs they've been wearing for years.

The number font I'm neutral on. Block font would have been better but what they went with is far better than the agency font they had, so upgrade. It works with the brand.

The helmets...yes. Yes. No gimmicky powder blue shells, just straight up the throwback helmets but modernized. I love it.

My single...not really complaint, more like question...concerns the numbers. I love them on the proper throwbacks, and I'm surprised by how much I like them here. My question is "how will this work with merchandise?" 

What number will they use if you buy a t-shirt or hat with the helmet on it? What number will they use if you buy a replica helmet? My personal preference would be if they used "60" (1960 was their inaugural season) and just quietly removed it from rotation but they probably won't so 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much a perfect uni upgrade. It's a sharp looking set, and I love how no frills it was from a launch and presentation perspective. No flowery language about colour symbolism, no design-speak about ratios, no two years of teasing and build up. Just the old colours and unis everyone likes, modernized. Well done, Chargers. 

It seems like if you buy a mini helmet or a full sized helmet it'll have "60" for the number to celebrate team's first year...but having 60 on a regular Speed (or VSR4) helmet seems weird, just because it's a lineman's number and lineman wouldn't be wearing a RB/QB/WR style Speed helmet. 

I'm hoping for 20 on retail helmets, or even a slight chance of 17 for the year moving back to LA, but odds are we'll see 60.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I’m excited to actually see these on the field. The more I see of this particular color combo, the less sure I am how much I actually like them. I like the idea of powder and gold, but something feels sort of off about this set. It almost feels like it’s going to look sort of washed out. I’m hoping the lighting makes a big difference, because if not, I think I actually might miss the navy a bit. 

The original chargers always looked sort of sort of washed out to me, too. But I always just assumed that older technology for equipment and just overall age caused some of that. Now I’m starting to think it may just be the color combination that’s the issue. The blue needs to be a bit richer, in a sense? Maybe somewhere between the powder and the royal they’re doubling up on. 

This is always how I've felt, too. The color scheme doesn't quite feel grounded, to me. Maybe it's because I grew up with the navy-era Chargers, I don't know. But there is something about the almost-pastel colors and the racecar font that does feel a little cheap (?) to me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I'd like the helmet numbers better if they were navy, even if they've (falsely claimed to have) removed it from their identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, colortv said:

Not sure if posted yet but this is official media from the Chargers:

itzrmxzogdv5s1bvbjh8.jpg

https://www.chargers.com/news/new-uniforms-2020

I like it. I really think the Chargers nailed it. The only tweak I'd suggest is filling in the bolts on the navy uniform to be white (or yellow like the light blue), but that's about it (granted, I get it's color rush so they have to do something different).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

12 hours ago, bootscallahan said:

The Chargers almost got it perfect. They would look a lot better without the italicized numerals. The helmet numbers look like they were applied off-center. 

I agree.  This is my crude attempt to de-italicize the jersey numbers (by 7 degrees).

As someone else mentioned, the italicized numbers just make it appear as if the jerseys were twisted when they were tucked into the pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(for some reason, the NOB is italicized more than the numbers)

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Still bad: a color scheme with two blues I can understand, but three?  No thanks, lose the royal entirely.  Again, you're in LA, have a unique identity.

They aren't mixing the blues though, its not like the Titans or the Hasselbeck era Seahawks. The home and away uniform only uses powder blue, the first color rush only uses royal blue, the last color rush only uses navy blue.

9 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Overall, this is a very nice evolution from the Chargers. Well done. Powder over white and white over white should be their full-time look. 

The royal alternate feels redundant, and I'd consider dropping the gold pants as well. I understand throwing it back to the gold pants, but I'm not completely feeling the color balance of the powder over yellow with a white lid. The away set with white over gold works for me though. 

This seems to be a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I am really liking that navy set -- it might actually be my favorite of the bunch. *ducks*  

Quick edits of them if the league ever allows for a second helmet. 

yK7q07I.png

dxY786a.png

oPsHYo6.png

Thank you for mocking these up. The last one on the bottom is the best. Hopefully they'll change to that before the awkward white helmet with a navy bolt becomes a tradition.

14 hours ago, simtek34 said:

The big man @CC97 has fallen to fire emojis...

If the Rams’ unveil goes terribly, I hope people protest by wearing this jersey to their games. 😂 There’s some cruel irony in the Rams being so enveloped in their own self-importance that they campaigned their redesign process as an epic, multi-year strategic plan to unveil the greatest brand sports has ever seen only to watch their thunder stolen In real time by a trio of sub-.500 teams who slightly updated past looks, one of which is the “little brother” they let use their stadium at essentially no cost for the next several decades.

9 hours ago, j'villejags said:

oPsHYo6.png

That’s tight. I think their identity works best when the fill color of the bolt is the higher-contrast color. It’s bright, it’s striking, and the trim gives it a little glow. It’s... electric.

8 hours ago, larrypep said:

It seems like the helmet the woman is holding is a different brand than the Ekeler #30 helmet. There’s more real estate between the the 81 and the bolt than the 30 and the bolt on the first helmet. The 81 helmet looks much better. 
spacer.png

I wish they would have done reverse italics for the left side of the helmet. The numbers seem to fit more naturally in the space when they’re “charging” toward the front.

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

I agree.  This is my crude attempt to de-italicize the jersey numbers (by 7 degrees).

As someone else mentioned, the italicized numbers just make it appear as if the jerseys were twisted when they were tucked into the pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(for some reason, the NOB is italicized more than the numbers)

This would have been preferable. Trying to center anything above an italic number is a fool’s errand. You can center an italic name above a straight number, but if the number is italic, the name will always look off center. No exceptions.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

https://i.imgur.com/swkykES.jpg

Still don't understand how they have so many unnecessary combos, but this isn't one of them. This would clash so nicely with so many teams. The white on yellow look would get ripped apart on here if it weren't for the "history" behind it. This makes way more sense in regard to powder blue being the primary color and yellow being secondary.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It seems like if you buy a mini helmet or a full sized helmet it'll have "60" for the number to celebrate team's first year...but having 60 on a regular Speed (or VSR4) helmet seems weird, just because it's a lineman's number and lineman wouldn't be wearing a RB/QB/WR style Speed helmet. 

I'm hoping for 20 on retail helmets, or even a slight chance of 17 for the year moving back to LA, but odds are we'll see 60.

A lineman probably wouldn't be wearing a mini helmet either, so my suspension of disbelief remains intact.

2 hours ago, BgMack27 said:

I like it. I really think the Chargers nailed it. The only tweak I'd suggest is filling in the bolts on the navy uniform to be white (or yellow like the light blue), but that's about it (granted, I get it's color rush so they have to do something different).

they really missed the opportunity to give the bolt the same treatment on the primary home jersey and the yellow pants with the white helmet and pants...while this is a drastic improvement I think the Seau era was by far the best design.

Archived