OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, JayMac said:

You and I both agree on this. Color rush, and possibly alternate helmets down the road, create a slippery slope. We all know that Nike shows very little constraint and the NFL and its teams bow to them.

 

I must be living on a different planet if you think this is true. 

 

If the NFL bowed to Nike, we wouldn't see complete erasure of Nike's unconstrained uniforms. The Jaguars current unis are the very definition of "constrained". The Patriots just unveiled new uniforms that consisted of two jerseys and one set of pants. The NFL doesn't have nearly the crazy tech/gimmicks that Nike gives its college teams. We have yet to see numbers like anything the Oregon Ducks have worn, and even the team that tried something funky (TB) was horribly laughed at and changed back to a traditional look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

That didn't trouble you for the Falcons.

 

 

It’s because of their history with both royal and navy blue. It's a bit of a way to tribute their mostly forgettable past.

 

 

Fair.

 

Here are the Falcons uniforms:

BB12kbJY.img?h=351&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

 

Here are the Chargers:

BB12YQiQ.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

 

 

The Falcons have a million different combinations: white over black/red/white; black over black/red/white, REDblack over black (and red/white?) plus the throwback. However, those million different combinations (excepting the throwback) are designed to integrate with one another. 

 

In contrast, the Chargers have four main sets (which look great!) plus two additional sets that are both exactly the same (in design elements) and completely different (in color) at the same time. I don't disagree that individually all of their uniforms look nice. However, they don't all look nice together, because two of them are incongruent with both each other and the rest of the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JayMac said:

You and I both agree on this. Color rush, and possibly alternate helmets down the road, create a slippery slope. We all know that Nike shows very little constraint and the NFL and its teams bow to them.

 

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

I must be living on a different planet if you think this is true. 

 

If the NFL bowed to Nike, we wouldn't see complete erasure of Nike's unconstrained uniforms. 

 

I think the first few years of Nike's involvement with the league, you could definitely make the case that teams were defering to them. The Seahawks current uniform had all the earmarks of what Nike was doing then, especially that pointless pattern embedded in the numbers. Then you had the blocky pants "stripes" on Tampa and Jacksonville, the wordmark on Cleveland's leg... All Nike trademarks. But this year, there seems to be a real pushback. The Bucs, Pats, and Browns, and maybe even the Chargers all seemed to be in control of their own redesigns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

And I'm also not convinced we don't see mixing and matching of those blue alts with the regular set. It's Nike and the NFL and they love to be dumb.

...Oh brother. Tell me, what was stopping them from doing this with the last set, which had 4 pants (including two white pants with different colored stripes) and 4 jerseys, just like the new set? They haven't shown me any evidence that they'd do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

Other than the fly, how's your soup?

 

 

 

It's an alternate...the fly isn't on the soup, it just landed on a cracker.  The soup can still be enjoyed separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers' past may be forgettable, but not including the darker colors would upset the older fanbase.  I've seen a lot of positive response to the navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

I must be living on a different planet if you think this is true. 

 

If the NFL bowed to Nike, we wouldn't see complete erasure of Nike's unconstrained uniforms. The Jaguars current unis are the very definition of "constrained". The Patriots just unveiled new uniforms that consisted of two jerseys and one set of pants. The NFL doesn't have nearly the crazy tech/gimmicks that Nike gives its college teams. We have yet to see numbers like anything the Oregon Ducks have worn, and even the team that tried something funky (TB) was horribly laughed at and changed back to a traditional look. 

Ok. MOST teams bow to them. That is exactly why we get the Jags and the Bucs Nike looks. These teams then learn. We all know that Pats don't operate the same as most of these other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

 

I think the first few years of Nike's involvement with the league, you could definitely make the case that teams were defering to them. The Seahawks current uniform had all the earmarks of what Nike was doing then, especially that pointless pattern embedded in the numbers. Then you had the blocky pants "stripes" on Tampa and Jacksonville, the wordmark on Cleveland's leg... All Nike trademarks. But this year, there seems to be a real pushback. The Bucs, Pats, and Browns, and maybe even the Chargers all seemed to be in control of their own redesigns. 

I think teams are finally starting to learn. It only took them close to a decade.

 

By the way, it is amazing to think that Nike has had the contract since 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, simtek34 said:

The big man @CC97 has fallen to fire emojis...

 

 

Does the navy one look gray to anyone else? I can see how it could've been confused, if this lighting is what was shown.

 

 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:52 PM, Jeffery said:

Quick mock up of a yellow jersey w/ gradients and the new blue.MjA7lTV.jpg

What in the literal :censored: is this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Does the navy one look gray to anyone else? I can see how it could've been confused, if this lighting is what was shown.

 

 

What in the literal :censored: is this?

 

delaware blue hens on acid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Navy blue always looks unsaturated on the retail jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Ok. MOST teams bow to them. That is exactly why we get the Jags and the Bucs Nike looks. These teams then learn. We all know that Pats don't operate the same as most of these other teams.

 

Nike operates within the NFL rules...not the other way around. 

 

When teams hire Nike to design new uniforms, teams sometimes agree with Nike's choices. How many times have we seen Nike prototypes not get approved by teams?

 

But if Nike had complete control over the NFL, the Dolphins would be wearing Vice alternates, we'd have 22 anthracite alternates and the swoosh would be on the front of the jersey, not the sleeves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

Nike operates within the NFL rules...not the other way around. 

 

When teams hire Nike to design new uniforms, teams sometimes agree with Nike's choices. How many times have we seen Nike prototypes not get approved by teams?

 

But if Nike had complete control over the NFL, the Dolphins would be wearing Vice alternates, we'd have 22 anthracite alternates and the swoosh would be on the front of the jersey, not the sleeves.

 

There would be 1st half uniforms (League and Icon), 2nd half uniforms (League, Icon, and City), 2-minute-drill uniforms (Earned only), and overtime uniforms (Same).

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Falcons have a million different combinations: white over black/red/white; black over black/red/white, REDblack over black (and red/white?) plus the throwback. However, those million different combinations (excepting the throwback) are designed to integrate with one another. 

 


Well let’s be frank, the Falcons aren’t wearing the gradient jerseys with anything but the black pants. 
 

The red pants make for more options but we’ve yet to see how often those are actually going to be worn. 
 

I will say that I’d like one of the color rash sets to go, preferably the royal blue. Just because they’re stylistically very similar apart from primary color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:


Well let’s be frank, the Falcons aren’t wearing the gradient jerseys with anything but the black pants. 
 

The red pants make for more options but we’ve yet to see how often those are actually going to be worn. 
 

I will say that I’d like one of the color rash sets to go, preferably the royal blue. Just because they’re stylistically very similar apart from primary color. 

 

That's what I think too, but I think if I'm going to put out a concern that the Chargers are going to mix and match it's only fair I have the same for the Falcons (who I think have a more cohesive look overall -- fight me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Don't think I have ever seen a italic NOB before:

Men's Nike Derwin James Powder Blue Los Angeles Chargers Vapor Limited Jersey

 

The italicized names and numbers are what keep this from being a home run, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bootscallahan said:

The italicized names and numbers are what keep this from being a home run, in my opinion. 

Eh, I disagree. I like the sense of movement it brings to the jersey, it fits well with the Chargers' electric theme and logo. I don't think a standard block would've fit as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NOBs look like they're skewed a little more than the customary 10 degrees there. I want one NFL team going all-italic, but that's a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the italics.  Subtle flair.  Makes it dynamic without needing shadows, racing lines, gradients, etc. 

 

It would have looked just a little too throwbacky with straight-up numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: TV numbers.

 

Like I said earlier in the Pats thread, at least I think it was the Pats thread, only 5 of the 9 teams in the CFL have TV numbers. The Stampeders are one of those teams that do not have TV numbers. I have watched plenty of Stampeders games, both on TV and in the stands, and I have not noticed the lack of TV numbers. It really hasn't made a difference, partially because there is a large set of numbers on the front of the jerseys and another large set of numbers on the back.

 

I really don't have a problem with football teams dropping TV numbers because I really don't think football jerseys need them. Hockey definitely yes, but not football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.