Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

49 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Quite the contrary. The older fanbase (back when it still existed) was polarized at best on royal blue and hated navy. Powder blue was always our preference.

Navy in particular was rubber-stamped by the Spanos family with no consideration to the fanbase's opinion. I even remember reading once that they had to be talked out of removing the bolts from the uniforms at one point, so that should give you an idea of how bad their taste is.

It was this storm of the powers at be taking San Diego's soul and forcing navy blue into the mix (Padres and Chargers). Padres/Brown and Chargers/Royal or Powder are "right" and now the only problem is the Chargers are in LA. But the looks are pretty much what the majority of true fans have been wanting for years. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

It was this storm of the powers at be taking San Diego's soul and forcing navy blue into the mix (Padres and Chargers). Padres/Brown and Chargers/Royal or Powder are "right" and now the only problem is the Chargers are in LA. But the looks are pretty much what the majority of true fans have been wanting for years. 

I mean the powder blue and gold and brown and gold might be right, but both teams identities peaked in the 90s with the inclusion of navy. The navy and orange for the Padres and the navy white and gold accents for the Chargers. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

53 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

I wonder whether the name also being italics will help this read better on the back. It's so hard to tell without seeing players actually wearing them

I dunno. It just seems like it always ends up looking off one way or the other. If the Chargers are insistent on italics being part of the uniform, I think their best option is upright body numbers paired with italic names and TV numbers. The body numbers are the wrench in the machine; because they’re tall, the angle covers a much greater horizontal distance compared to something short, like nameplate lettering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I mean the powder blue and gold and brown and gold might be right, but both teams identities peaked in the 90s with the inclusion of navy. The navy and orange for the Padres and the navy white and gold accents for the Chargers. 

Strenuosly object to that one. In fact, I'd say that was the nadir of both's identities.

It's where I sit.

Right. I'd say the Chargers looks in the 60s and then again in the early 80s were equally great and far superior to anything in the navy. As well, I'd say the Padres in the early 70s were a great look although I preferred the 1978 version above all. Again, much better than anything in the navy. Great to see both admitting it and going back to what were superior looks. At least in my opinion and a native San Diegan and lifelong fan of both. 

It's a totally valid criticism that it's impossible to center a NOB over large-italicized numbers without it looking uncentered, and maybe my opinion will change when seeing them IRL, but it just doesn't bother me.  I think my brain just knows that it's centered even if it doesn't seem that way.  I think the style of number and degree of slant matters too.  These are pretty tame compared to the Flames examples, which look legitimately messed up, even though they're not.  Those Flames ones don't look good to me, and my brain can't give them a pass, but it's more because of the actual fonts.

itzrmxzogdv5s1bvbjh8.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

No they didn't, you're in the distinct minority of fans who prefer the navy over the powder.

30 minutes ago, colortv said:

No they didn't, you're in the distinct minority of fans who prefer the navy over the powder.

To be fair that's your opinion as much as what I said is mine, neither of us are right or wrong, don't pretend your taking the high road. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

25 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

To be fair that's your opinion as much as what I said is mine, neither of us are right or wrong, don't pretend your taking the high road. 

It's not an opinion that the VAST majority of fans prefer powder over navy.

Do we know if the home numbers are just a plain white twill, or is there gonna be a slight reflective quality to them?  For some reason, that’s what I see when I see the photos, and I actually think making slightly reflective numbers could work out for a team like the Chargers.  Maybe even do the same for the road numbers.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

It's not an opinion that the VAST majority of fans prefer powder over navy.

Is there sales or research data backing this up or could it just be a vocal minority that LOVES light/powder blue while the remaining majority of chargers fans were good with navy since the 80's?

4 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Strenuosly object to that one. In fact, I'd say that was the nadir of both's identities.

Am I the only one who thinks royal blue was the worst era for Chargers uniforms?
spacer.png

Don't get me wrong, I still like these more than what most modern teams are wearing, but it doesn't change the fact that this is basically the LA Rams with lightning bolts.  It always bothered me that the pants had a random white bolt that wasn't consistent with anything else on the uniform.

38 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Is there sales or research data backing this up or could it just be a vocal minority that LOVES light/powder blue while the remaining majority of chargers fans were good with navy since the 80's?

Silly post, you can look into the stands at any Charger game, or any fan event be it SD or LA and it's a sea of powder blue jerseys, not navy.

I'm also pretty sure the Chargers did plenty of research(in addition to fan requests) when deciding to switch to the powders full time, considering that's standard operating procedure when it comes to a branding move like this and the millions involved.

It's downright ignorant or disingenuous(or both) to claim that the navy is anything but preference of a minority of the fans.

Could the Chargers get away with wearing the white pants with the royal blue jerseys? I don't think most people would give a damn about the light blue of the pants bolts outline not matching the royal blue jerseys (and it's matching helmet decals).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 4/22/2020 at 6:33 PM, Survival79 said:

37f65fc4.gif

202 Best G.L. Constanza_Philosopher images in 2020 | Seinfeld ...

Activate Microsoft Paint!  In my opinion if they want navy and powder blues in their scheme they need both in their uniforms.  Here's an attempt to use the new bolt pattern, old number font, and both shades of blue on everything:

lLoPIka.png

Archived