Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

For what it’s worth, the digital representation of the Falcons’ helmet still had a glossy appearance and a black facemask, the Buccaneers’ decal was still too big, the Colts’ helmet was updated to include the new decal and the Chargers’ was correct but missing numbers. The Patriots didn’t change and the Browns’ changes wouldn’t have been noticeable in such an application. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The amount of devolution some of these threads have gone through is incredible lol

I've seen alot of random hijackings in threads on here but Mugshot.com hijacking a thread is incredible. How does it even come down to that?

bSLCtu2.png

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I've seen alot of random hijackings in threads on here but Mugshot.com hijacking a thread is incredible. How does it even come down to that?

Once you start talking about CCSLC history (as we were earlier), the topic of "Sk8rboi" Nick 1733 frequently comes up. I used his mugshots.com image, since I didn't feel like screenshotting the Colorado Corrections page (which has more revealing information anyway). 

CCSLC history can get pretty WTF. Just be glad I didn't find pictures of ICS' vermin kills.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Don’t want to Buc-jack but that fade stripe was a very bizarre thing that is rarely talked about or remembered. It was one of those things that at first I thought “eh, whatever, I can barely notice them and they look like shadows” and then when they debuted, that changed to “oh my god, these look absolutely abysmal.” Thankfully, the Bucs nixed that real quick. Unfortunately, the rest of their set had to wait half a decade.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

HOLY S---- I honestly just thought it was terrible lighting, I didn't know it was a real thing. 🤢

#DTWD #GoJaguars

14 hours ago, VikWings said:

Forget non-traditional, that just doesn't look good. It looks like a crescent moon logo with the Ravens helmet stripes on steroids.

I disagree, I think it reads perfectly well as a Rams horn, just a slightly updated rendering of a Rams horn. Rams horns have a ridge on them. 

I also totally disagree that a segmented horn is an affront to tradition. The horns have changed colour and shape over the journey and this is just another iteration of the classic design. A segmented horn is still a yellow horn on a blue helmet. The segment will not have a significant impact on the way it looks on field. It's still going to look like the Rams. 

If they do a white to yellow gradient it will be a bad design, but I'm not concerned about the segment. 

1 minute ago, El Scorcho said:

I disagree, I think it reads perfectly well as a Rams horn

Maybe a segmented horn could read well as a ram horn on a football helmet, but I don't think this particular segmented horn does.

See, I feel like I SHOULD like the new Rams logo. It's a city monogram, it's traditional (in theory) and even uses a font I like. And yet....I've tried. I've really tried to see the ram horn. I know it's there, I know what it's going for, but I can't stop seeing the segments as separate. I can't quite naturally see them as two parts of a greater image.

13 hours ago, IceCap said:

I still can't fathom how anyone saw that uniform and went "yep, this is acceptable for a NFL team."

I want to say that the streaks didn't make it out of the preseason, but I could be wrong. It's a testament to how terrible that uniform was that the streaks on the helmet were only like the sixth worst decision. And they absolutely should be included in that uniform's final grade - they were part of the design the team rolled out on initial release with the full intention of using them for the foreseeable future. Some people thought the whole thing looked cool. Those people should be delivering pizzas instead of making creative decisions in the NFL. That 7 digit alone is a fireable offense. 

That Bucs set is always going to be a uniform curio - how did the design team manage to design a uniform that gets literally every single decision wrong? Every single one. There isn't a correct decision made anywhere on those. There isn't even one where I can say "I can see how they arrived at that thinking it looked good, there was a good idea here before it got messed up in the design by committee process." No it started with a bad idea and then they layered many more bad ideas on top of it. It's the worst uniform in NFL history, it's not really close, and it'll take something truly heinous, almost purposely ugly, in order to top it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

49 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Maybe a segmented horn could read well as a ram horn on a football helmet, but I don't think this particular segmented horn does.

See, I feel like I SHOULD like the new Rams logo. It's a city monogram, it's traditional (in theory) and even uses a font I like. And yet....I've tried. I've really tried to see the ram horn. I know it's there, I know what it's going for, but I can't stop seeing the segments as separate. I can't quite naturally see them as two parts of a greater image.

Just to clarify, I don't like the logo at all, but I don't mind the segmented horn on the helmet. I think it'll work on the field, but I guess we'll wait and see. 

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

I want to say that the streaks didn't make it out of the preseason, but I could be wrong. It's a testament to how terrible that uniform was that the streaks on the helmet were only like the sixth worth decision. And they absolutely should be included in that uniform's final grade - they were part of the design the team rolled out on initial release with the full intention of using them for the foreseeable future. Some people thought the whole thing looked cool. Those people should be delivering pizzas instead of making creative decisions in the NFL. That 7 digit alone is a fireable offense. 

That Bucs set is always going to be a uniform curio - how did the design team manage to design a uniform that gets literally every single decision wrong? Every single one. There isn't a correct decision made anywhere on those. There isn't even one where I can say "I can see how they arrived at that thinking it looked good, there was a good idea here before it got messed up in the design by committee process." No it started with a bad idea and then they layered many more bad ideas on top of it. It's the worst uniform in NFL history, it's not really close, and it'll take something truly heinous, almost purposely ugly, in order to top it. 

I couldn’t agree more with this assessment. It’s all made worse because of the uniform it replaced. 
The Titans new uniforms are comically bad, but at least you can see there was a thought process behind the dumb decisions like the beveled sword yoke and the pant “stripe”. They just executed their concept poorly and cranked the whole sword theme up to 11. 

To bring this back to the Rams - after looking at the LA logo for a few weeks now it hasn't grown on me at all. I think I dislike it more. It's just trying so hard. It's doing so much work in the pursuit of being clever. For a simple concept, it has to exert so much effort to execute the concept. The horn has so many pieces, it sprouts of the A unnaturally in a way that the A letter isn't often drawn, the horn's interaction with the L is visually jarring, and the use of gradients plus shadows just adds to the messy composition rather than improving it. L and A have been proven time and time again to be excellent partners in ligature form and yet here they're just sitting next to each other, not interacting with each other. And the decision to use gradients, a medium that we all know doesn't work in many applications (embroidery especially) is so head-scratching. Did you guys do the leg work? Did you not test it in embroidery and if you did, you didn't care that it looks like ass? Also, I know it's supposed to be a ram's horn, but can't stop seeing a very long, sickly looking fingernail. 

The actual Ram logo is one of the most amateurish pieces of animal anatomy that's been logo-ified in the modern era of sports logos. It'd be embarrassing as the starting point in the creative process. As the final product, it's inexcusable and I question the decision makers who allowed it to happen. (Also, it's got a penis on its face). 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think the general idea was terrible so much as really bad in execution. If your thought process is to use the right leg of the "A" to sprout the horn, it actually doesn't look bad using the classic design. It's also something that might actually look good on a cap

6OCJSCj.png

I think it's suffered from the main flaw in the Nike process which is taking the kernel of a good idea and overloading it. We know the thought process behind the Browns actually works if it isn't overloaded because we saw Syracuse pull off the exact look last year. We know the Dolphins 1.0 design just had too much piping because the 2.0 version actually looks decent with the extra details striped away. 

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't think the general idea was terrible so much as really bad in execution. If your thought process is to use the right leg of the "A" to sprout the horn, it actually doesn't look bad using the classic design. It's also something that might actually look good on a cap

6OCJSCj.png

I think it's suffered from the main flaw in the Nike process which is taking the kernel of a good idea and overloading it. We know the thought process behind the Browns actually works if it isn't overloaded because we saw Syracuse pull off the exact look last year. We know the Dolphins 1.0 design just had too much piping because the 2.0 version actually looks decent with the extra details striped away. 

That's 100x better than what they put out. I would buy that. 

The worst part of the LA logo is how the top of the A is cut off and rounded by the horn.  I can't get past that - it's the first place my eye goes every time I see it.

Maybe if the white part of the A actually touched the horn like the L does, rather than that extra blue separator, it'd look better?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I want to say that the streaks didn't make it out of the preseason, but I could be wrong. It's a testament to how terrible that uniform was that the streaks on the helmet were only like the sixth worst decision. And they absolutely should be included in that uniform's final grade - they were part of the design the team rolled out on initial release with the full intention of using them for the foreseeable future. Some people thought the whole thing looked cool. Those people should be delivering pizzas instead of making creative decisions in the NFL. That 7 digit alone is a fireable offense. 

I feel the same way about the Bledsoe-era Bills uniform, and maybe more so . The Bucs uniform was at least going for some theme. It failed miserably, but there was a discernible direction.  

The Bills were just a bunch of random stripes thrown together in a non-sensical way. 

This isn’t to defend the previous Bucs set. It was historically bad. Just not quite as awful as that Bills era. 

36 minutes ago, ramsker said:

That's 100x better than what they put out. I would buy that. 

It was a crazy easy fix. 

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The worst part of the LA logo is how the top of the A is cut off and rounded by the horn.  I can't get past that - it's the first place my eye goes every time I see it.

Maybe if the white part of the A actually touched the horn like the L does, rather than that extra blue separator, it'd look better?

Easy fix too:

CArXUqm.png

9 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

Just to clarify, I don't like the logo at all, but I don't mind the segmented horn on the helmet. I think it'll work on the field, but I guess we'll wait and see. 

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see an actual helmet. I agree with this sentiment entirely.

It's where I sit.

Archived