Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

So yesterday, a clip from Jorge Sedano from ESPN radio said, "But, I am curious to see the new uniforms, that are coming out in a couple of days.....I did see that that is coming out, so hopefully we're not disappointed by that." So that would be tomorrow? Here's the link if anyone wants to listen. Just wish there was a longer clip for context etc.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

So yesterday, a clip from Jorge Sedano from ESPN radio said, "But, I am curious to see the new uniforms, that are coming out in a couple of days.....I did see that that is coming out, so hopefully we're not disappointed by that." So that would be tomorrow? Here's the link if anyone wants to listen. Just wish there was a longer clip for context etc.

My guess is Monday.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Sedano is the only one that mentioned this timeframe. He didn't repeat it, as though he had some exclusive info or was breaking news. I think he was just saying the unis are coming soon. Misleading for anybody looking for any nugget of info, like us.

1 hour ago, auguststaley said:

Sedano is the only one that mentioned this timeframe. He didn't repeat it, as though he had some exclusive info or was breaking news. I think he was just saying the unis are coming soon. Misleading for anybody looking for any nugget of info, like us.

I understand what you're saying, but then why didn't he say soon? Or in the coming weeks? Just because he didn't repeat it, doesn't mean anything. To say a couple of days is a lot more specific than saying soon. I do agree that it is a little misleading, and wish there was a longer audio clip for context.

Now that this thread has pivoted back to this discussion, and there's still no Rams unis yet, there was an LA Times article a couple weeks back covering a 2020 survey by LMU.

The seventh annual survey, conducted in January and February, asked 1,000 Los Angeles County residents to pick their favorite team from the 10 major pro teams with Los Angeles in their name. 

The Chargers ranked dead last in L.A. County at 1.2%, with the Sparks at 1.3%. Overall, they ranked ninth at 1.6%, with the Sparks at 1.1%.

Here are the results of all seven surveys (2014, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 respectively) with the survey question being "Which is your favorite professional team with LA in its name?"

Lakers    42.9    39.5    37.4    35.5    30.3    35.1
Clippers    6.7    7.0    8.6    7.1    4.1    6.4
Dodgers    33.8    31.1    35.0    35.7    38.0    31.4
Angels    4.3    4.6    4.8    5.9    6.5    5.3
Galaxy    3.7    8.4    5.8    5.3    5.5    6.2
Chivas    2.7    1.9    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0
Kings    5.2    7.0    7.8    5.7    5.5    3.4
Sparks    0.8    0.6    0.6    0.2    1.2    1.1
Rams    0.0    0.0    0.0    4.6    7.5    7.5
Chargers    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0    1.4    1.6
LAFC    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0    2.1

Obviously, surveying only 1000 LA County residents isn't a large sample size (though I still applaud @LMU for his tireless work over these last seven years getting all these surveys done 😄), but it's still not a great look.

In 2018, the year after the Chargers moved to Los Angeles, the LMU survey asked residents to name their favorite NFL team. According to Leavey Center research assistant Vishnu Akella, the Chargers ranked fourth among the responses, behind the Rams, Oakland Raiders, and “any team is fine.”

Yikes.

IbjBaeE.png

7 hours ago, colortv said:

This is a multi billion dollar business proposition which will play out and be evaluated over decades. You don’t determine whether it’s a success based on a couple of years. 

south park beat a dead horse GIF

#DTWD #GoJaguars

3 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

I understand what you're saying, but then why didn't he say soon? Or in the coming weeks? Just because he didn't repeat it, doesn't mean anything. To say a couple of days is a lot more specific than saying soon. I do agree that it is a little misleading, and wish there was a longer audio clip for context.

Here's a link to the hour of the April 30 show in which Sedano mentioned the Rams unis. Just skip to the final 2:30.

Sedano mentions the uniforms coming in a couple days while talking about the Clay Matthews grievance. He takes the Rams side vs. Matthews, then says he's not a homer because he recently trashed the Rams new logos, but still is excited to see the unis that are coming in a couple days. Very casual. 

That's pretty much it. Wish there was more to it.

7 hours ago, QCS said:

I believe the one lacking an understanding of the market forces at play is you. Yes, the Chargers are exceeding capacity at their 27,000 seat stadium. How many of those people are their fans? How many will buy PSLs? The Chargers have been getting killed by the Rams in the PSL department (as well as most other teams) which is where a significant amount of money comes from.

Yes we can. When the Rams jumped from 28th in the NFL worth $1.45 billion to 6th at $2.9 billion (jumping 22 spots and gaining literally double their previous worth) but the Chargers barely went up from when they played in San Diego, something isn't right here. They went from worth $2.08 billion in 2016 (their last year in SD) to $2.275 billion in 2017 (their first year in LA), gaining only $0.195 billion when the Rams literally doubled in value. That shouldn't ever happen to a team moving to LOS ANGELES, of all places. Even then, let's look at the 2020 valuations, four years after the Rams' move and 3 after the Chargers'. The Rams are now worth $3.8 billion, good for 4th in the NFL and an increase of $2.35 billion while the Chargers (who play in the same market) are worth $2.5 billion, good for 21st in the NFL and an increase of about $0.42 billion (and for the record, the Panthers gained about the same amount of worth). It's almost like NFL franchises increase in value anyway! The Los Angeles Chargers are worth less than teams like the Ravens and Colts, who I wouldn't exactly call "large-market" teams. The Rams, in the same market, with only a year head-start, are worth $1.3 billion more than their tenants. Why do you think that is?

Wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fljdi/22-san-diego-chargers/#3ae9525a3378

NFL TEAM VALUES 2015

22. San Diego Chargers

Current Value: $1.525 bil.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2016/09/14/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-2016/#bd992dd30680

The NFL's Most Valuable Teams 2016

The Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers are up 47% and 36%, respectively. The Raiders generated the lowest revenue ($301 million) in the league in 2015. But not for too long. The team will either have a new stadium in Oakland, move in with the Rams, or relocate to Las Vegas. Either way, these options make the team worth $2.1 billion. The Chargers get first dibs on becoming Kroenke's tenant, or can opt for a new stadium in San Diego, which is why the team is valued at $2.08 billion. The main thing is both the Raiders and Chargers are portable, meaning they aren't chained to their antiquated stadiums.

Portability (which is one word for "much richer stadium deal") has great value because the NFL's 32 team share equally the vast majority of their television money, national sponsorship revenue as well as about one-third of ticket proceeds. In 2015, the league shared 63% of their combined $12.2 billion in revenue (including what teams take in from non-NFL events at their stadiums, net of what goes towards stadium debt). The pecking order of team values is primarily determined by stadium revenue that is not shared, namely luxury suites and advertising (though the prestige of owning a team in New York or L.A. also adds a premium).

The Chargers value has increased by a billion dollars since they got the right to move to LA, and they've only scratched the surface of their valuation. It should jump significantly next year(or the next depending on what coronavirus does for attendance) when they move into Sofi and get a significant jump in stadium revenue based on the size difference alone. They'll be at $3 billion in short order, doubling their valuation from SD to LA.

6 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

From everything we can tell the Rams want to build this up, I doubt we'll have anything less than a week between the announcement and unveiling. 

14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Obviously, surveying only 1000 LA County residents isn't a large sample size.

I'm gonna do a thing where I'm a nerd now, I apologize in advance.

Actually, in a situation like this, 1,000 residents should be a pretty good number to use. In a survey where the approximate population is around 4 million, the required sample size will vary depending on several things. First, which confidence variable we're going with. Generally it's 95% confidence. Now, if things were being done randomly, then 1,000 would be a woefully low sample number. However, any decent survey will make sure to adjust the sample to more accurately represent the population, which will reduce a lot of noise. Then there's the confidence interval, which basically informs us that we can be sure a certain percentage of the population will vote a certain way every time. Luckily here, we have prior data that will show the Dodgers and Lakers are almost certain to be in the 30-40% range, etc. We'll likely have a tighter confidence interval, which can reduce the sample size even further. Ultimately with all these factors 1,000 can end up being a pretty strong indicator for what is a pretty small population in the scheme of things (quality national polls regularly use lower totals and almost always are within the margins of error). Like anything math and numbers based, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes, but this is a basic gist.

Sorry again for the wall of text. Not saying you specifically need to know this, but seeing as the general population is statistics illiterate, I like to discuss this stuff where I can.

11 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Chargers literally ranked behind "I donno, sports are cool" among LA locals. Amazing. 

And yet, tickets were almost always $120+ whenever I tried to buy them for games in Carson. Gotta love approximately 152% of LA's population being from other cities.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 hours ago, MDGP said:

And yet, tickets were almost always $120+ whenever I tried to buy them for games in Carson. Gotta love approximately 152% of LA's population being from other cities.

Gonna piggyback off the bolded part

So I'm gonna be very general about this, but cities with an established transplant culture don't fare well for pro sports franchises that are new or have moved from somewhere else (see: the Houston Texans failure to gain the popularity you'd expect for football in the state of Texas). There are exceptions, like Atlanta United, but that's only because the Falcons and Hawks suck and the people moving there are more likely to care about soccer than they are baseball, but more than likely people are going to continue rooting for the teams that they grew up with and pass that fandom onto their children. These general factors definitely don't fare well for the Chargers, especially when there are better things to do than pay $200 for a :censored:ty upper deck seat, even if it is in a spaceship. The Chargers aren't popular, and because there's always something to do in LA that doesn't involve mediocre football, compounded with the transplant culture of the city, they probably never will be to the extent that the NFL of @colortv would like them to be.

7 hours ago, colortv said:

From everything we can tell the Rams want to build this up, I doubt we'll have anything less than a week between the announcement and unveiling. 

You're probably right. Before revealing the logos/colors on March 23, the Rams sent out teaser tweets 16 and 13 days in advance, and then announced the reveal date and time three days before it happened. 

So far, they haven't made a peep about the new unis. We might be weeks away.

2 hours ago, auguststaley said:

You're probably right. Before revealing the logos/colors on March 23, the Rams sent out teaser tweets 16 and 13 days in advance, and then announced the reveal date and time three days before it happened. 

So far, they haven't made a peep about the new unis. We might be weeks away.

All of this is true. The Rams did say the uniforms would be revealed "later this spring." I just hope it's sooner rather than later. Some time this month, and not next month, since technically spring ends on June 19th this year. But then again, you never know with things being delayed because of the virus.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, Gothamite said:

:lol:

Goodell bungled it from start to finish.  He was literally colluding behind the scenes with St. Louis in a vain attempt to prevent Kroenke from moving, and ended up only broadcasting his own fecklessness.

Owners gets some blame for letting not having a team in LA go for a long time

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

4 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

All of this is true. The Rams did say the uniforms would be revealed "later this spring." I just hope it's sooner rather than later. Some time this month, and not next month, since technically spring ends on June 19th this year. But then again, you never know with things being delayed because of the virus.

That shouldn’t be a valid excuse at this point. SIX other nfl teams have unveiled new looks during these times. The consensus on these boards is that the rams unis will be bad, and delaying the announcement isn’t doing them any favors. The rams really messed up this offseason, in free agency and in the PR department.

1 minute ago, throwmesomepics said:

That shouldn’t be a valid excuse at this point. SIX other nfl teams have unveiled new looks during these times. The consensus on these boards is that the rams unis will be bad, and delaying the announcement isn’t doing them any favors. The rams really messed up this offseason, in free agency and in the PR department.

That's based on essentially nothing but the dramatics this board is prone to.

I don't think the Bills are on as stable ground as some here seem to believe:

Little, if any, significant funding would come from either New York State or Erie County and the Bills’ owners have made it clear they aren’t about to finance a new stadium by themselves.

At the time, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz responded by noting the financial demands on other communities with NFL teams when it comes to the stadium issue.

"(Goodell's) interest lies not with our community but with the owners that employ him and the highest level of profit he can deliver for them," Poloncarz said in a statement. "Many of these owners have placed heavy demands on their fan base and community as well, demands that could not be met in our smaller market. However, members of Bills’ Nation will at least be relieved to hear that Commissioner Goodell wants the Bills to be successful and competitive here in Buffalo."

At the NFL owners meetings last March, Terry Pegula said the NFL "more or less" wants to "see something done one way or the other."

Goodell: Bills stadium issues have to be settled in coming months

A new stadium will make tickets unaffordable for half of our fans. Doubt that will stabilize the franchise. He sucks

The drums are getting louder, Buffalo. And the message from the league is clear: Pay for all or part of a new stadium, or else the Bills eventually will move.

4 minutes ago, colortv said:

That's based on essentially nothing but the dramatics this board is prone to.

If you think there's a possibility that the uniforms will be good after the whole logo debacle, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm cautiously optimistic as a die hard fan, but I'm not expecting anything amazing.

Archived