Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

As an Oklahoman with family working in the Thunder organization..... We weren't really thrilled with how it happened either. It always felt like Bennett was going to take the franchise from Seattle no-matter-what, and most Okies never felt that was right. Obviously, we love that we have the Thunder, but just about nobody here considers anything in Sonics history to be Thunder history, no matter what they say on TV. Westbrook or Harden are the two players considered the First Draft Picks in franchise history, not anyone from Seattle. Speaking for myself, I desperately want the Sonics back, because that will be one hell of a rivalry, and also to push OKC into the SW division with the Texas teams and New Orleans. Just add a second team in the West and send Memphis to the Eastern Conference.

I totally understand. I've got no problem with Thunder fans and I'm sure pretty much all of them would welcome a brand new Sonics team. I just hope that when the Sonics do return the Thunder org gives up all pre-OKC history like the Pelicans did. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's why I occasionally wish the Giants and the Dodgers became the Seals and the Angels (the AL team in LA can be the Stars), while the Braves became the Brewers (Atlanta gets an expansion team). The new identities enable the fans of a relocated team to really call it "their own." 

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's why I occasionally wish the Giants and the Dodgers became the Seals and the Angels (the AL team in LA can be the Stars), while the Braves became the Brewers (Atlanta gets an expansion team). The new identities enable the fans of a relocated team to really call it "their own." 

But the Braves really became Milwaukee's own team. So much so, in fact, that there are certain older people who live here who STILL hate the Braves because they left.

@DG_ThenNowForever has it right above. There's no one size fits all rule here.

It's where I sit.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

True. In retrospect, adopting local names would’ve been better. Now, it’s a mixed methods approach. Heck, I give grief to people who want the Utah Jazz to change their name (save New Orleans natives, of course). 

To be fair, there's not a whole lot going on in Utah besides Mormons. 😛 

At least not stuff that's not already in use by other NBA teams (like Raptors).

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, there's not a whole lot going on in Utah besides Mormons. 😛 

At least not stuff that's not already in use by other NBA teams (like Raptors).

I'd buy a Utah Raptorzz hat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/29/2020 at 3:57 AM, O.C.D said:

That moment when you finally see it and can never unsee it. Glad they dropped it

And I'm glad they dropped those uniforms entirely. Worst uniforms I have ever seen in the NFL. Just awful. At least we can all agree that the new Chargers uniforms thankfully aren't anywhere near that level of bad. Actually, the Chargers new uniforms are decent for a modern style uniform.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

NFL schedule release is Thursday, has a uniform other than the Rams been revealed before the schedule release in recent memory?

A uniform released before the schedule? Well this is the first year in a long time the the schedule release wasn't the week before the draft. So yes almost every year we get the uniforms in the beginning to mid part of April. Before the schedule release.

If you meant has a uniform been released after the schedule, the only one I can think of is the Bills in 2011 when they release them in June using military veterans because of the lockout.

6 hours ago, QCS said:

Even though I'm not from Seattle, I agree, seeing OKC fall is wonderful. That entire team is marked with the stain of Clay Bennett and his underhanded tactics to quite literally steal the Sonics away from Seattle (by the way, Sonicsgate is a great documentary and I highly recommend it). An NBA team in OKC is fine, but they way it happened is awful and both cities deserve better. Can't wait until the Sonics return.

Of course, this extends to the Pelicans for me. George Shinn is a piece of :censored: and the move out of Charlotte was similarly underhanded and grimy, even if the primary motive was fans didn't come to games because the owner was human garbage. I've got nothing against Pelicans fans inherently (Saints fans, on the other hand) but the Hornets never should've moved and I will forever stand by that fact.

Leagues should be more aggressive in blocking moves. It hurts the brands.  If a team gets replaced by an expansion team it shouldn't have moved in the first place.  Oilers with a Cleveland deal would be more popular than the Texans.  And Art Modell being forces to sell and getting a 1999 expansion team would have been more appropriate than what happen.  People argue free enterprise, but these are franchisees and the league has a right to preserve itself properly.

Btw you know what might be the best approach? Look at the teams like comic book characters (uniforms/costumes, occasionally updated!)    Teams get killed off, resurrected, spun into alternate universes.  So what if the Browns split off an evil twin? (And why am I still so upset about the evil Browns existence and success?  Also, the Bengals are their son or half brother.  3 entire franchises are reflections of the Browns.)

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I presume that's a reference to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which chose to feature in its coverage of the move a very measured opinion piece headlined "Stop Whining, LA".

This is EXACTLY what I was referring to. We here in LA didn’t forget the trolling St. Louis did (and the trolling Oakland and San Diego did as well)...and best believe we returned the favor.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived