Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, QCS said:

I totally understand. I've got no problem with Thunder fans and I'm sure pretty much all of them would welcome a brand new Sonics team. I just hope that when the Sonics do return the Thunder org gives up all pre-OKC history like the Pelicans did. 

12 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

That was part of the original agreement, IIRC, so long as Seattle either got a franchise or at least a new arena by a certain time. I believe that has expired on time limit, but yeah, the Sonics history should stay up in Seattle.

The Thunder were never going to give up the Sonics' history.  The deal was that if Seattle got an expansion franchise within 5 years, that franchise would get to share the history with the Thunder.  Since that has long passed, no idea what would actually happen.

The Thunder did agree to return some of the physical assets to a hypothetical Seattle team - the Sonics’ original championship trophy, the arena banners and retired jerseys - but that's it.  The NBA insisted that the new Oklahoma City franchise had to have history behind it, although that seems increasingly silly as more time goes by.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/seattle-and-oklahoma-city-will-share-the-sonics-franchise-history/

9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, we did learn from the Bobcats-Hornets transfer that history comes with trademarks on historical logos, so we'll see eventually.

From that Seattle Times article: "the NBA owns the names and intellectual properties of teams and licenses them to owners".

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

From that Seattle Times article: "the NBA owns the names and intellectual properties of teams and licenses them to owners".

Ah. Well then, given how the Thunder have largely ignored the Sonics (no championship tab), I doubt the history will be much of an issue. I expect a Hornets scenario again, minus added confusion.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ah. Well then, given how the Thunder have largely ignored the Sonics (no championship tab), I doubt the history will be much of an issue. I expect a Hornets scenario again, minus added confusion.

You may well be right.

The Thunder have probably worked up enough of their own history at this point that there's nothing lost if the new Sonics claim it.

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

As for before the announcement, it was pretty clear the fix was in when the announcement of the second team was delayed in an effort to let Jacksonville get its act together.  Even though I was holding out faint hope at that point, I was almost positive Jacksonville was going to get the second team because Tagliabue was convinced that expanding to the Sun Belt was the way to go and that Baltimore added little to the league because it was too close to Washington and Philadelphia.

No, actually the delay was to allow both St. Louis and Baltimore to get their acts together. The NFL wanted one new territory and one old territory. Earlier, when it was clear Carolina was going to be the new area, Memphis all but left the competition, but was coaxed back in. As much as the NFL wanted either St. Louis or Baltimore, neither could get it together. I covered this in a previous post.

Just like years later, when LA was offered a provisional franchise if it could get a stadium deal together, and Houston was the backup. LA couldn't get it done, and the Texans were born.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

As an Oklahoman with family working in the Thunder organization..... We weren't really thrilled with how it happened either. It always felt like Bennett was going to take the franchise from Seattle no-matter-what, and most Okies never felt that was right. 

I'd say most in Seattle blame 1. Howard Schultz for selling the team and 2. Commissioner Stern for paving the way for him to sell it to Bennett. In fact many, including myself, refuse to go to Starbucks because of it even though there is one on every corner in town.

As much as I hate what Bennett did, I can't blame him for wanting the team in his town. We all knew it was going to happen as soon as the sale went through. 

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Because of the local broadcast partners (Fox Sport Florida and Fox Sports Sun), FS Florida usually sticks with the Miami teams (Panthers, Heat, Marlins) and FS Sun takes the rest (Magic, Lightning, Rays). 

There are also different feeds in the Miami and Central Florida areas.  For me in the Tampa Bay area, Rays and Lightning are on FS Sun, and Magic go to FS Florida.

I thought the idea was that the basketball teams flipped for conflict purposes, so the Magic were on the otherwise-Miami Florida feed and the Heat were on Sun. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think the Thunder give a damn if Seattle fans despise their team.  In fact, it's probably better for OKC if they do.

I was more referring to the NBA itself. 😛 It's a great way to try and soothe disdain for how things went down and get free good PR.

By the way, this is still the Los Angeles NFL Brands thread, right?  I want to make sure I didn't make a wrong turn somewhere.

😛

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

I'd say most in Seattle blame 1. Howard Schultz for selling the team and 2. Commissioner Stern for paving the way for him to sell it to Bennett. In fact many, including myself, refuse to go to Starbucks because of it even though there is one on every corner in town.

As much as I hate what Bennett did, I can't blame him for wanting the team in his town. We all knew it was going to happen as soon as the sale went through. 

I'd flip Stern and Schultz myself, but I also have only been here since 2006 and the Sonics during my time here stunk.

But yeah, this is entirely accurate. Plus, Stern worked to extract money from jurisdictions (read: people) all over the country and give it to billionaires, which is pretty crappy and represents the worst of pro sports.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

45 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

By the way, this is still the Los Angeles NFL Brands thread, right?  I want to make sure I didn't make a wrong turn somewhere.

😛

It’ll turn back eventually, don’t worry.

Excellent!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I thought the idea was that the basketball teams flipped for conflict purposes, so the Magic were on the otherwise-Miami Florida feed and the Heat were on Sun. 

We dont see a lot of Heat games in Tampa Bay.  It might be different in other parts of the state, but the majority of games of the Miami teams we see here are the Marlins.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

😛

You should’ve taken that left at Albuquerque. 

Archived