Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dont care said:

It’s too late in the process for any of that, other than going to old helmet decals is about the only thing. Pants take longer to produce than that, especially with the covid-19 quarantine

I'll bite.  I can understand not changing jerseys for marketing purposes - there would be a large number of retail jerseys needed.   But otherwise, what's the real obstacle for a multimillion dollar company to redo a few hundred pairs of game pants on semi short notice?  We've seen changes between the preseason and regular season before.

Same question about designs not fitting templates.  These aren't junior high teams picking from a catalog.  Pro teams can't get a dedicated design for fewer than a hundred players?  Or less than 20 for an NBA team?  (Can't do the Grizzlies number font??? The equipment manager could do it by hand for 15 players home/road/alt.)

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Nope.  It's legit.  He is supposedly playing some sort of stylized version of himself on the show.  It's very meta.

He mixes comedy and music in his live show.  Good music and pretty funny, as expected.

Creed Bratton sings karaoke to one of his actual songs in an episode:

It's pretty good!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, LMU said:

Since the hyperbole is officially getting to me...

kd5nCza.jpg

Seriously.  I know I generally get lumped in to the "hates everything new" nonsense (which I honestly don't think fits me) but this IMO knee jerk over-reaction to the Rams' supposed "worst logo release EVER" makes me want to defend it, just because. I'm a fan of the Ram head logo, and, if asked, I can certainly think of a dozen or so sports logos I dislike more than the LA logo.

And the general group-hate these logos have received has made some people to already proclaim the uniforms to be awful, sight unseen. (That and @canzman's early opinion, which I'm not discounting, but still...) Reading this thread, you'd believe dozens have people have seen the uniforms based on how many have already decided they're huge failures. Sure, they might be, but can we at least wait until we see them.

Here's what I see, so far;

The Ram's head logo is IMO a clear upgrade over the angry-face St. Louis one.

The LA logo isn't great, but it's not nearly as horrible as the internet outrage would lead you to believe, and dopey old Eric Dickerson hating it so bad makes me think it's probably better than I thought.

And the colors are a massive... MASSIVE upgrade.

If the uniforms blow, I'll gleefully jump on them with both feet, but I'd like to wait to see.

And, for the one millionth time, no, they are not rethinking them based on the Chargers' uniforms. 

5 minutes ago, chakfu said:

I'll bite.  I can understand not changing jerseys for marketing purposes - there would be a large number of retail jerseys needed.   But otherwise, what's the real obstacle for a multimillion dollar company to redo a few hundred pairs of game pants on semi short notice?  We've seen changes between the preseason and regular season before.

Same question about designs not fitting templates.  These aren't junior high teams picking from a catalog.  Pro teams can't get a dedicated design for fewer than a hundred players?  Or less than 20 for an NBA team?  (Can't do the Grizzlies number font??? The equipment manager could do it by hand for 15 players home/road/alt.)

It all depends on capacity and lead times...assuming the textiles are available in inventory and the on field uniforms are made domestically you still have to work in an out of season order where your production is currently at capacity fulfilling winter '20 and spring '21 orders. In outlier cases like this you either have to stop production and fit a special order in or sub out to a smaller outfit that will likely take much longer.

42 minutes ago, chakfu said:

To your first point. There shouldnt be any issue with getting new pants between now and the start of the season. It's a matter of want and stubbornness more than anything. If it could happen 20 or 30 years ago, it can certainly happen today. Although apparently metallic fabric is impossible today so what do I know.

As far as your next point. Its definitely brand first dick swing move by nike. They're basically saying this is our brand this is our template. It's why I dreaded them getting the nba contract and am still weary about them having mlb now. It forced teams to adjust their look to fit Nike, when it should be the other way around. As far as shoulder stripes, while some manufacturers have found ways to get more full looking stripes,  others havent. That was a problem with adidas and reebok too as sleeves have shrunk.

When it comes to numbering and lettering they're mostly done by whatever seamstress the teams contract with to handle jerseys. The manufacturer sends them blanks and they decorate the unis. Yes the local person can do the Grizzlies numbers, but if it's cost prohibitive for retail , manufacturer will say it's not possible.

13 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

The Rams creative team stated they made stencils that would allow them to use either logo at midfield depending on the game, so I’m not sure this changes anything — though it would make sense to use that logo at midfield if you’re going to use the other logo with the wordmark in the end zones. 

The LA logo is fine as a secondary, it doesn’t work as a primary.                             .                                                                   The ram head logo is great but I wish it had a little more detail, definitely a gold pupil in the eye and maybe a simple mouth. It looks a little too elementary as is.

20 minutes ago, JLJ said:

Ram head looks right at home next to these other logos.

It looks better there because it doesn't have the dumb gradients. The LA logo would be fine if the horns weren't segmented and they weren't slathered in some dumb gradient. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 minute ago, PlayGloria said:

I don't know... it still look really bad to me.  It looks like a clip art image surrounded by sports logos.

IMO it looks more like a sports logo than the Cowboys’ logo does, considering that’s just a double outlined star and nothing more. Probably the logo most deserving of the “clip art” criticism of them all, although I still don’t like the term.

ExJworW.png

I love the idea of the ram head, I just wish it looked a little more....finished, I guess? I doesn’t need a lot more detail or anything, it’s just that something about it makes it look less refined than it could be. I’ve mentioned before that the face looks like an attempt at drawing a ram digitally with a stylus, and while the composition is good, it looks like it was left at that and not followed through with proper finishing and cleaning. I don’t know how else to describe it.

It’s definitely the best of the two logos they have, and I’ll gladly take it as the primary over the LA. It’s still not as great as it could’ve been with some more work, though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

27 minutes ago, colortv said:

The ram head logo is great but I wish it had a little more detail, definitely a gold pupil in the eye and maybe a simple mouth. It looks a little too elementary as is.

dFtB8Z3.png

kmFEQd2.gif

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

6 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I love the idea of the ram head, I just wish it looked a little more....finished, I guess? I doesn’t need a lot more detail or anything, it’s just that something about it makes it look less refined than it could be. I’ve mentioned before that the face looks like an attempt at drawing a ram digitally with a stylus, and while the composition is good, it looks like it was left at that and not followed through with proper finishing and cleaning. I don’t know how else to describe it.

It’s definitely the best of the two logos they have, and I’ll gladly take it as the primary over the LA. It’s still not as great as it could’ve been with some more work, though.

I feel almost every attempt at “completing” the logo we’ve seen posted here has been a downgrade. I think they stopped at the right point. While the aforementioned Cowboys star isn’t much of a logo either, I’d argue adding more details like a bevel would be an epic fail. Sometimes minimalism works.

3 minutes ago, JLJ said:

I feel almost every attempt at “completing” the logo we’ve seen posted here has been a downgrade. I think they stopped at the right point. While the aforementioned Cowboys star isn’t much of a logo either, I’d argue adding more details like a bevel would be an epic fail. Sometimes minimalism works.

When your animal logo doesn't even have a mouth or eyes, methinks you went too minimal.

Archived