Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

I think I finally realized why I don't like the ram head - it looks like a skull.  Like the ram is dead, and the skull was found laying on the ground somewhere.  Kinda like a more minimalistic version of the old Predators skull.  The modifications with eyes that have been posted here aren't really good, but the idea is right.  It needs something to indicate that it's living and has a soul.  It's souless and lifless. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think I finally realized why I don't like the ram head - it looks like a skull.  Like the ram is dead, and the skull was found laying on the ground somewhere.  Kinda like a more minimalistic version of the old Predators skull.  The modifications with eyes that have been posted here aren't really good, but the idea is right.  It needs something to indicate that it's living and has a soul.  It's souless and lifless. 

I always thought it was a skull (even the throwbacks) but was corrected earlier on this board when I revised their logo to look more skull-like. I'd say either go with a mean skull type look OR like you said, something with a soul. 

RamsHeadSlim.jpg

It could just be me, but maybe the lines on are just too thick on the Ram head? Something is off about it other than the overall design...I’m thinking it’s the line thickness.  I don’t see any other logo in the NFL with that line style 

55 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I always thought it was a skull (even the throwbacks) but was corrected earlier on this board when I revised their logo to look more skull-like. I'd say either go with a mean skull type look OR like you said, something with a soul. 

RamsHeadSlim.jpg

Making it thinner makes it look more like a skull

Billelis 3D Ram Skull — Billelis

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, there's just no good way to draw this animal for whatever reason. It's not a backbreaker because it works so well in the abstract for football -- they're dudes headbutting other dudes to prove their dominance, of course you'd call 'em the Rams. The horn on the helmet gets the point across just fine. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, there's just no good way to draw this animal for whatever reason. It's not a backbreaker because it works so well in the abstract for football -- they're dudes headbutting other dudes to prove their dominance, of course you'd call 'em the Rams. The horn on the helmet gets the point across just fine. 

There is a good way to do it; the STL-era logo had the right idea with a profile view logo, but I think the main issue is that it had too much of a ram beyond the head itself, which made it hard to properly center it. Cutting out the neck portion would've led to a pretty solid logo that bore a pretty good resemblance to the helmets.

For an example;

spacer.png

This looks pretty good, at least to me. Put it alongside other NFL logos on the site and this is what we get;

spacer.png

And just for fun, I decided to insert it onto their Twitter page;

spacer.png

You can do a ram head logo well, the problem is they went for a 3/4ths view for some reason instead of a profile view.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

There is a good way to do it; the STL-era logo had the right idea with a profile view logo, but I think the main issue is that it had too much of a ram beyond the head itself, which made it hard to properly center it. Cutting out the neck portion would've led to a pretty solid logo that bore a pretty good resemblance to the helmets.

For an example;

spacer.png

This looks pretty good, at least to me. Put it alongside other NFL logos on the site and this is what we get;

spacer.png

That misshapen, bulbous head... no.

megamind2629.jpg?ssl=1

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That misshapen, bulbous head... no.

e7c9976a8c13461c940f1847333fe7c9.jpg

What, do you not think Megamind would be a great NFL mascot? 😛 The team he represents could come out to Guns 'n Roses every game, that'd be pretty badass.

In all seriousness, that's just one example using one logo. There's plenty of other ways you could do it, but the Rams' ram really should...well, actually match the angle of the horns on the helmet, since it's the most iconic part of the brand and all. A profile ram head matches the helmet horns the best, which makes it really weird they chose to go with a 3/4ths view. I guess they thought it was more dynamic-looking then the profile view would be?

It's not like the Rams have ever used a 3/4ths ram head before, it's always been profile, so it's not returning to an old LA Rams ram head style.

I think there’s ways to do a ram head well. Profile view can work when done right, but front-facing works when done right as well. I think Colorado State’s logo is a pretty good example (it could stand a tiny bit of cleaning on the ears and neckline, but that’s beside the point):

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, what's wrong with pulling a Browns for the Rams? A stylized version of the helmet as a logo could be a good look for them.

That could work, too. The helmet is the most enduring part of the Rams' identity, so having it be very prominent in the actual branding outside of the uniforms makes sense. Having both a helmet logo and a ram logo would be the best of both worlds; one as the primary, one as the alternate.

And there's at least historical precedent for the Rams using their helmet as their primary logo, so there's that if you wanna pull the "LA history" angle.

13 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

In all seriousness, that's just one example using one logo. There's plenty of other ways you could do it, but the Rams' ram really should...well, actually match the angle of the horns on the helmet, since it's the most iconic part of the brand and all. A profile ram head matches the helmet horns the best, which makes it really weird they chose to go with a 3/4ths view. I guess they thought it was more dynamic-looking then the profile view would be?

It's not like the Rams have ever used a 3/4ths ram head before, it's always been profile, so it's not returning to an old LA Rams ram head style.

I think you're getting too caught up in a profile.  Why is that any more preferable to a 3/4 view?  There may be problems with the new logo, but "not being a profile view" is not among them.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think @mcrosby made a pretty decent ram logo. Just assume it's in royal/yellow and has the classic horn/a keyline.

Kl8qGpI.png

I would definitely say that his "LA" looks way too much like a "2."

Yeah, that monogram is not great.  I like the ram-head, though, and don't think it needs a different horn.  Done right, the segmented horn could look amazing.

Colorado State kinda did a segmented horn (or at least one trying to more closely emulate an actual ram).

CSU%20Aggie%20Throwback%20Uniform%20(9)_

Part of the problem is that the Rams horns we known have been around for so long its hard to comprehend anything different. 

Which is highly effective branding on their part. So its odd they'd be anxious to veer away. 

I don’t think they need a mascot logo. The 2nd biggest market in the league doesn’t need an animal logo. An LA with horn should more than suffice- it’s just that the one they came out with is not good. An animal logo is fine for the kids and merch, but the Rams don’t need it. Play up the LA, and let the horn do most of the talking. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived