Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I... really like this.  

EXquPSkWoAEDn50?format=jpg&name=large

The horn shape is so much better without that last curve.  It will also fit better on modern helmet templates (although even this mockup is cut off).

It's looks fine on its own, but without the last curl, it doesn't immediately identify as the Rams. Too much of a shape change. To me, it'd be like straightening the Vikings horn, rounding the tips of Cowboys star or putting a serif on the Packers G. And, as I've said before, I don't know why you abandon a mark that has such relevant history and so quickly identifies your franchise.

10 minutes ago, kutztown said:

A few thoughts: 

1. The long wait for this debut would be a lot less sucky if they had just communicated a firm date to us for a reveal.  Kinda crazy. 
  2. I'm 100% not buying any of the buzz on Twitter about the bone color.  I would be SHOCKED if that was an actual thing. 
  3. This identity should be REALLY REALLY hard to screw up. Key words "should be".  Can't wait to see. 

Radio silence on the date and the long break since revealing the colors/logos seems to have backfired. General sports fans are wondering what's happening and if they are making changes (not happening, but still that's the perception). And Rams fans have gone from having excitement to anxiety because, as you said in No. 3, the Rams are about to screw up a classic visual identity.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/21/2020 at 3:15 PM, canzman said:

So everything starts to blur after a while seeing all these changes and such and it has been since February when I last saw the files, but if memory serves here are a few details on the Rams.

1. There is a gradient but I honestly can't remember if it was the jersey similar to Atlanta or if it was just the numbers.  Sorry again it has been a while.

2. The light or away uniform is not white, and no it isn't yellow either. 

Can you give us any more details? Is the home blue? Is there a yellow uniform?

39 minutes ago, auguststaley said:

It's looks fine on its own, but without the last curl, it doesn't immediately identify as the Rams. Too much of a shape change. To me, it'd be like straightening the Vikings horn, rounding the tips of Cowboys star or putting a serif on the Packers G.

Agree to disagree, then.  Just as the Vikings logo got tweaked, so too this horn can and will look just fine.

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

I don’t buy that the Rams are going to reveal the uniforms with virtually no buildup, it runs contrary to everything we’ve been led to believe they want to do.

Agreed. But I was thinking about this today. Do they need buildup now? At this point, lots of general sports/NFL fans are wondering where the unis are. Not much else is happening. Some even assume (wrongly) that they are being scrapped/changed at the last minute. Rams fans, more specifically, are annoyed and anxious. It's already in the mind of most of their audience, and not with a lot of positive feelings.

For a while, I kept thinking that as the wait increased, the Rams would have to do something bigger or different with the reveal to justify the delay. Now I am thinking they waited too long and might be better off just giving like a day or two notice and doing something simple with video at SoFi and maybe a fundraiser. That would at least tie the unis to something positive to take the heat off from the fans who will be pissed that the Rams screwed up their unis.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agree to disagree, then.  Just as the Vikings logo got tweaked, so too this horn can and will look just fine.

It could. I am surprised because more people seem to like the new horn than I expected.

But to me, changing the shape that much and adding details is too much in one swing. The Vikings changes were a lot more subtle. Even when the Eagles got new decals in the 1990s, they added more details but the outline/general shape was almost identical to what they previously had. 

The bigger problem for the Rams is really that they're obviously :censored:ing with a brand identity that shouldn't have been :censored:ed with in the first place. All they had to do was go to royal and gold with a new uniform, use the classic wordmark, make a new ram head and leave it at that; no :censored:ing with the helmets, no needless and convoluted tweaks; the bare necessities.

But they got too cute for their own good and tried to have too many details which messed the whole thing up. Emphasis on gradients in the branding (making translating the logo over various colors something of a pain), logos that somehow are both overthought and underdesigned at the same time, splitting the iconic horns on the helmet (and let's not pretend that they will keep the helmet horns intact in an era where brand consistency is such a focus) for maximum Nikespeak about waves and suns, it's a perfect storm of too many cooks in the kitchen and a lack of restraint.

They seem to have just thrown a bunch of ideas around with no focused design until they congealed into what we see now. Meanwhile, the Chargers had one idea (go back to powder blue, white and yellow) and just ran with it without distracting themselves with 30 million other things. And that process, shockingly, resulted in fantastic uniforms. The Rams, though...I'm not holding out hope that they're going to reveal uniforms that everybody loves. If anything? I'm expecting them to be the next Falcons reveal.

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Eh, I really don't think most people will notice the absence of that final curl.

And not only the general public, but people here.

I agree, but people will notice the stupid horn segmentation that is supposed to be 3D.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The bigger problem for the Rams is really that they're obviously :censored:ing with a brand identity that shouldn't have been :censored:ed with in the first place. All they had to do was go to royal and gold with a new uniform, use the classic wordmark, make a new ram head and leave it at that; no :censored:ing with the helmets, no needless and convoluted tweaks; the bare necessities.

But they got too cute for their own good and tried to have too many details which messed the whole thing up. Emphasis on gradients in the branding (making translating the logo over various colors something of a pain), logos that somehow are both overthought and underdesigned at the same time, splitting the iconic horns on the helmet (and let's not pretend that they will keep the helmet horns intact in an era where brand consistency is such a focus) for maximum Nikespeak about waves and suns, it's a perfect storm of too many cooks in the kitchen and a lack of restraint.

They seem to have just thrown a bunch of ideas around with no focused design until they congealed into what we see now. Meanwhile, the Chargers had one idea (go back to powder blue, white and yellow) and just ran with it without distracting themselves with 30 million other things. And that process, shockingly, resulted in fantastic uniforms. The Rams, though...I'm not holding out hope that they're going to reveal uniforms that everybody loves. If anything? I'm expecting them to be the next Falcons reveal.

Perfectly said sir

So apparently on live stream with dirty cheater Alex Bregman Jared Goff and Tyler Higbee we're asked when the uniforms would be released and they said this week. I didn't see any video of them saying it and got this info from Twitter and reddit, so take it with a grain of salt obviously. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Sure seems like a lot of caving to Nike ideas going on here if the rumors are true. Horns fitting into the sleeve cap easier when they’re split like this, the bone color (probably similar to Nike’s light bone color that has been used on some recent shoes (Fear Of God and others), and gradient numbers that I’m certain the team didn’t have on their vision board going into their initial meeting. Nike/adidas/whoever isn’t evil, but the organizations must be the ones bringing the local fan knowledge into the room and not budge when ideas don’t fit the direction they should be going in.

Why would the gold numbers fade to white when there is no white found anywhere else on the uniforms? Even on what would supposedly be the white away set? That bit of white looks so out of place with those uniform mock-ups. Could the real version be fading from gold to 'bone' instead? It would seemingly be a softer, somewhat less noticeable gradient. 

And if the home set actually has a gradient and the away set doesn't, then what's the point of having one at all? If the home uniforms actually have a gradient, I'd guess the away set would have a royal/navy gradient as well.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I'm surprised people are talking about the updated horn as being brand shattering. It's far more evolution than revolution. It'll look basically the same in practice and will still be obviously a Rams helmet. It's a very minor change to the overall look of the helmet. 

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't think anyone knows whether or not there's more white elsewhere on the uniform.

Absolutely. I'm really just speaking to those descriptions and mock-ups of the supposed uniforms. The inconsistencies have me thinking at least some of the information being tossed around is inaccurate. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived