OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

We're two decades into the 21st century and the Sabres have migrated from the Buffaslug look to an identity that's closer to the Maple Leafs than anything they've had since 1996. 

And starting next season, they'll be right back where they started from; they've already announced they're going back to their original colors, which pretty much confirms the silver is gonezo.

So just keep that in mind. "Trendy" doesn't always mean "evolution," and most controversial designs are discarded when they're no longer new and moving merch. Classic identities always reassert themselves because they're timeless. 

An excellent example is the Islanders fisherman. That was, by most metrics, an "evolution" of the Islanders' branding, with a modern logo and more trendy colors; but it was so completely and utterly reviled that the team was pretty much back in their original look just three years later.

53 minutes ago, IceCap said:

You need to keep some lessons from this place in mind if you're going to go on about "evolution" and the need to move on from "tradition."

The Buffaslug. Almost everyone here- and in the real world- hated that thing. Yet there was one Sabres fan here at the time who defended it at every turn. I challenge him on it, and his retort was "well unlike the Leafs the Sabres will look like they're playing in the 21st century." 

We're two decades into the 21st century and the Sabres have migrated from the Buffaslug look to an identity that's closer to the Maple Leafs than anything they've had since 1996. 

So just keep that in mind. "Trendy" doesn't always mean "evolution," and most controversial designs are discarded when they're no longer new and moving merch. Classic identities always reassert themselves because they're timeless. 

There is no right or wrong answer on a lot of things discussed here, it's more art than science but too many act like it is. 

Case in point, the identity in your avatar. Considered the worst uniforms in the history of sports for decades, and now there is a large contingent who consider it a cult favorite.

There's a generation of potential fans in LA who associate the Rams classic identity with St. Louis before they do LA.

The Rams have said all along they want to honor the past while pursuing a fresh start. Considering the history of the NFL in Los Angeles I don't think that's a bad way to approach it.

8 minutes ago, colortv said:

There is no right or wrong answer on a lot of things discussed here, it's more art than science but too many act like it is. 

Case in point, the identity in your avatar. Considered the worst uniforms in the history of sports for decades, and now there is a large contingent who consider it a cult favorite.

There's a generation of potential fans in LA who associate the Rams classic identity with St. Louis before they do LA.

The Rams have said all along they want to honor the past while pursuing a fresh start. Considering the history of the NFL in Los Angeles I don't think that's a bad way to approach it.

Yeah but it's gotta look good as well and that's the part the Rams goofed up.

Just now, QCS said:

Why don't we just wait until we actually see them before making assumptions.

21 minutes ago, colortv said:

Why don't we just wait until we actually see them before making assumptions.

The fact that what we have seen so far has been at best controversial isn't a good sign.

32 minutes ago, colortv said:

Trying to have your cake & eat it too is never a good idea. You usually end up with a muddled mess like the Buffaslug, the Canucks using the orca w/ blue & green jerseys, the Browns previous set, or the Atlanta Hawks volt.

50 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The fact that what we have seen so far has been at best controversial isn't a good sign.

Do you mean the logos? The unis might be bad, but I don't think you can assume so based on the logos.

Most of the NFL logos aren't great, and if you tried to build a uniform based on any one of them, you could end up with 100 different outcomes — some good, some bad. Logos and uniforms are both part of a team's brand, and they work together, but they are still distinct.

Also, lots of rebrands that involve logos and uniforms are unpopular. More often than not, they are controversial.

1 hour ago, QCS said:

That’s a matter of opinion. LOTS of folks (not necessarily on this board) actually LIKE the direction the team is going.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why is that a bad thing?  The Rams helmet is iconic - even the slightest change will seem like more than what it is.

Never said it was a bad thing. The team just wants to go in a different direction. If the identity still proves to be unpopular five years down the line they might return.

A generation of fans still consider the Rams to “be that team that moved from St. Louis”. Some want to move on from anything associated with that era, and unfortunately that might be the helmet design.

The way social media is portraying the logo and identity change is the way the media is covering the people protesting the stay-in-place orders around the country: it might SEEM as if the majority is for it, but that may be far from the truth. There is a huge contingent that actually LIKE the gradients (I’m on the fence about them) and the new logos. And you can best believe if they actually WIN with this identity, it might be around longer than many want it to be. Just ask the LA Kings. I WANT them to incorporate purple in their identity...but with the two cups they wore with the silver and black, that might be awhile before that happens (other than throwbacks).

Still gotta have a wait-and-see approach for the final product. If Goff wasn’t joking around, we won’t have to wait too much longer.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

And yet we were all, you included, celebrating a Chargers redesign that harkens back to a uniform associated with San Diego. 

The Rams' classic identity's time in St. Louis is but a blip compared to the time they wore it in LA, so the idea that the traditional identity is associated with StL is ridiculous to me. The only Rams look that is definitive "St. Louis" is the navy and old gold look. 

"Respect the past, look to the future" is such a dumb term too. It means nothing. It's marketing speak trotted out to justify dumb decisions. 

It's ironic. The modern NFL identity that probably comes closest to matching that sentiment- Buffalo's current look- didn't even use that term. The Browns did for their awful uniforms though. And the Rams don't see to be in a better position. 

The Rams spent nearly fifty years in LA before moving to StL. There are definitely identities out there to build into a classic LA Rams identity (see your avatar) without resorting to "bone" coloured uniforms and gradients. 

The team represents the second largest market in the country and was first associated with that market in the 40s. They're the West Coast's New York Giants. They should have something that approaches a storied, traditional look. 

And you know what? "New directions" don't mean much if they suck. 

13 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

That’s a matter of opinion. LOTS of folks (not necessarily on this board) actually LIKE the direction the team is going.

I've seen PLENTY of stuff out there (not just social media) that indicates the Rams' logo is not that popular. 

As I said earlier, be careful about trumpeting "a new direction." Or else, once the team returns to something more traditional, you'll look silly. Like people who thought parachute pants were the wave of the future. 

6 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

And you can best believe if they actually WIN with this identity, it might be around longer than many want it to be.

Well let's take a look at the state of the team a few years after their last Super Bowl appearance. 

Hmmm. 

Yeah, not terribly concerned. You might have a Cleveland Browns situation where your "respect the past look to the future" trendy new unis end up associated with five years of bad football before everyone has enough and you return to the classic look with a tweaked number font. 

How much you want to bet the primary home and away are monotone?

Blue over blue with gradient striping. Grey over grey with blue striping. 

Only a few days before it’s all over but the mockery. 

5 hours ago, colortv said:

Bad photoshop but gives an idea.

file.php?id=13643

Why with bone pants? The Rams only need yellow pants for home and away.

Can’t believe one of the best looks in the league is about to be bastardized. Gradient numbers and bone away jerseys? All you had to do was touch up the throwbacks! Everyone involved really dropped the ball. 

Just now, JOEYxFRESCO said:

Also, found this 

Oh dear christ.

Ahhh ok. That explains the soccer jersey tweet. It’s the number font.

3 hours ago, colortv said:

Every team says this when they get new uniforms.

1 minute ago, JLJ said:

Ahhh ok. That explains the soccer jersey tweet. It’s the number font.

Is it just the font? Maybe the gradient plus font?

Everyone loves the Chargers unis and their font is more rounded, though not this much, and we didn't hear soccer comparisons for them.

The gradient is subtle, so it doesn't bother me.

20 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

Also, found this 

If these are legit, my first thought was initially ... they're over designed.

38 minutes ago, JOEYxFRESCO said:

Also, found this 

it's twitter so my automatic assumption is to lean fake with anything that doesn't come from a official source there, it also looks like the shoulder horns are backwards to me assuming those are supposed to be horns. They would be curling the opposite way of the helmet if they are and I honestly doubt that would happen on the real jersey. I would be okay with these if they we're real with the horns facing the right way or we got something close because I honestly don't hate it.