OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

31 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

I honestly can't believe this is real...

I can't either. I can't imagine in what mindset a designer had to be to think that shoulder looks good in any aspect.

In Madden 12's team creator, some of the available sleeve patterns placed shoulder stripes and sleeve stripes behind the sleeve numbers. I never chose those patterns not only because they looked bad but because I always thought "that looks so unprofessional. No team would ever do that".

I can't believe I was wrong.

To each their own, but I really do think these are a strong contender for all-time worst NFL uniforms. The only thing they got right were the colors. Yikes.

Oh man, where do we even begin?
When the gradient numbers are the least offensive thing, there’s a problem. 

Horrible shoulder stripes. Looks even worse on the away uniforms where they’re barely visible. 
Terrible shoulder patch on both uniforms. Looks like it was a last minute addition someone stitched together in the locker room before a game. 
New helmet design seems really sacrilegious. It’s one of the most famous helmet designs and they butchered it. 

This is just not good. Not good at all. Probably the worst new uniform this year. Even worse than the Falcons, who were also bad. 

The away uniform is a disaster. 

Using a white crescent shape was a bad idea and it doesn't even show up in some photos, leaving only gold arc (which is weirdly stitched for some reason). Using a white patch on the top corner of the jersey was also a bad idea. As is the asymmetrical striping on the pants. Depending on the light, the differences between the bone and white portions are either completely indistinguishable or so obvious that they become jarring.

We don't get horns on either jersey because there's no bottom hook. It just looks like an arch which is weirdly more St. Louis than LA, and we don't even get a full one of the away jersey. 

It's the most profound irony that i think the numerals, gradient and all, are the best feature. 

I actually kinda wish we had the gradient on the helmet because at least that would create the 3D effect. The segmenting on the horn just doesn't do it. It doesn't even fill the space on the helmet very well. 

The size of that swoosh on the sleeve....Jeez.

2020 RAMS: Doing everything in their power to make the Chargers LA's team.

These are fine. Maybe my expectations were so low from all the negativity  surrounding them, but allow me to insert the following take: they are better than the way the Rams were brutally misusing the previous set. 

Good:

-Number font

-Helmet and colors

Bad:

-By far THE WORST is how they are prepping us for ads on jerseys. We should be fighting this tooth and nail. Screw the NBA for breaking the ice on this.

-Gradient numbers, although not as bad as they could have been

-Weird yellow horn on the road set

-WTF is the yellow stitching on the road team nameplate

-Their bizarre attachment to monochrome blue, which sucks

At least these have personality, unlike the Falcons set, which should be thrown in a dumpster and lit on fire.

13 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

...Really?

I'm thanking my lucky stars the Patriots didn't do something like this. 

Yeah. The Rams home uniform (blue over yellow) is fine. The Pats monochrome home uniform is not.

The blue uniforms are surprisingly good, even with the gradient. They’d be amazing without it. But the gray? Burn it with fire. This may be one of the worst uniforms in NFL history. Light gray, white, and yellow all touching on the sleeves? TV numbers in a different font? Nothing but monochrome? Ugh. This was the easiest rebrand of the offseason and they not only missed the slam dunk, they had a career-ending injury on the play.

EDIT: And don’t get me started on the ad patch.

28 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Imagine publicly declaring that you like this. 

I checked the tweet. Some person saying that the team like the Bone jerseys. Of course they do. they always say that. I have yet to see one become Mr. Blackwell.

I actually really like this set. 

If you were expecting them to revert back to the throwbacks then surely you'll be disappointed, and understandably so. 

But for them trying to move forward and establish an updated identity i really like these. 

The gradient is fine, adds some character and differs it from the classic jersey. (speaking of gradients, the falcons set is growing on me)

The road jersey....i actually love so far. What is going on with that "horn"? Dont know! But that 'bone', white, yellow palette...i really like. Are they the most contrasting colors? Absolutely not, but they're not really meant to be. It's a design that ultimately makes for a canvas that blue numbers/letters can contrast with and remain legible. 

I'm normally a traditionalist, and if you described these to me a week ago i would've hated them (and i totally get why a lot of people are..) but idk..i like them. 

And them busting out the throwbacks is inevitable...those of you that hate these will appreciate those more when they get worn. 

PS. the Cardinals and Bengals still have by far the worst uniforms in the league imo. 

I know monochrome is the thing-to-hate in football design but, particularly with the contrasting socks the Pats are using, I find it way, way less bad than the disjointed design choices and dissonant color pairings and ill-considered quirkiness we're seeing with the Rams.

Ironically, get rid of all that gold and white used on the bone-iform, and it would pair a lot better with navy trim than royal.

31 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Imagine publicly declaring that you like this. 

I read the quoted tweet in the voice of Alec Baldwin as Trump, and it all makes sense...

I thought when we first heard about gradients on this uniform set that it would be easily, the single worst part of the set.  Shockingly, they somehow outdid themselves.  It's not even that the gradients are any better then I thought they'd be; they're almost exactly what I thought they'd be, but the road set is so atrocious that the gradients somehow aren't the worst.  It's hard to even begin.  

Honestly, the home set, while not "good", when paired with the yellow pants isn't that far off.  Get rid of the dumb faux-ad-patch, fix the numbers...and yeah.  Not as good as the old stuff, but you'd have a generally benign set that wouldn't offend.  Granted, the numbers and the faux-ad-patch are horrible and ruin the look, but I'm trying to be positive here.  The issue is completely magnified with the road set.  It doesn't match with the home set at all, the bone/white/yellow offers almost no contrast, the numbers have the stupid rams horn pattern...ugh.  They're awful.  Just...awful.  

It's almost like what happened was one of those party games where two people are sat back-to-back and then tasked with drawing the same thing, and then you see how close they came to the same thing.  They look like they come from two different concepts.  I have no doubt that in 5 years we'll be going back to basics.  It's going to be a Tampa Bay/Cleveland situation all over.  "Honoring history...modernizing....new era"...then you realize what a mistake these were and just go back to the classic look to lots of fanfare.  See you in the "LA Rams to get new Uniforms in 2025" thread where we get rumors they're "going back to basics".  

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yeah. The Rams home uniform (blue over yellow) is fine. The Pats monochrome home uniform is not.

At least the Patriots look like a professional football team these do not look professional at all. The gradient numbers are the best feature & I hate the number font! Its sad that the past few years hot garbage is better than these for the most part. 

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Rams blue monochrome isn't great, and the Pats away uniforrm is a billion times better than the Rams away uniform. 

I’ll be curious to see how this boner white uniform looks against a heavy white home uniform like the Cards, Dolphins or Colts.

Overall, I don't hate them.  Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

1 minute ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’ll be curious to see how this boner white uniform looks against a heavy white home uniform like the Cards, Dolphins or Colts.

It'll look like a 🤬show