Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, LMU said:

oh :censored: it's worse than i thought 🤢

They fell into every single Nike pitfall possible. Monocolor, gradients, excessive design, the works. They had five years to look at the fans clamor for the throwbacks full time, looked at that data, said "lolno" and proceeded to chase every single goddamned modern trend possible. Either the team is :censored:ing clueless about what the fanbase wants or they thought just the classic colors would make everybody happy. Plot twist; it didn't.

And isn't it just a little convenient that the both the primary logo and uniforms for the Rams' rebrand both bear more than a passing resemblance to ASU's uniforms?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ironically, ASU at least had the common sense to not :censored: with the helmet horns. How a college team is more knowledgeable about brand legacy then one of the oldest teams in the NFL is :censored:ing beyond me.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, RedSox44 said:

If we're ranking:

1. Browns, because it's such an obvious upgrade over their previous set. A+

2. Chargers, I love everything about these. A+

3. Bucs, ditto on the Browns. A.

4. Colts, minor change that was somehow long overdue. A.

5. Pats, need a different set of pants and socks but the jerseys themselves are upgrades. B-

6. Falcons...no. F

The Rams unis are going to have to be atrocious for me to rank them below the Falcons. 

Rams are a solid D-.

spacer.png

The home blue set is actually really nice. Especially with yellow pants. I really dig it, even with the gradients. The helmet looks great too.

The away bone set is an effing tragedy. All they had to do was make a light (grey or white idc) version of the blue one. Why is it an entirely different design? They aren’t the Giants or the 90s Vikings. A half assed crescent stripe and tv numbers out of nowhere? Grey pants? WTF guys.

I accepted the new horn, the gradients, and even the patches and I feel rewarded by the home set for that faith, and then they boned me. Light jersey, yellow sleeve, blue sleeve horn, blue numbers. Done. 

Golly that font is awful. The gradients on the blue jersey and the helmet look better than I thought, but still not good. The blue/gold combo could look a lot worse. But the bone jerseys, oof, those suck major eggs. The wordmark shoulder patch monstrosity hurts me, and the mismatching striping across the sets makes me want to go blind. The Iowa State style numbers work for the Rams, just not with the font. Overall, worst set in the league, I give the set an F-. 2025 can't come soon enough.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

6 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

That font gives the Buc’s alarm clock numbers a run for their money in being completely terrible. 

Wow. Just wow. Not even surprised. 

Really? A nice, curved font gives the alarm clocks a run for their money? It fits the rest of the look, and the subtle curves on the inside don’t bother me much.

ExJworW.png

The home uniform looks really good to me actually. The gradient is used tastefully and the new horns work really well. The away's are too try hard and the BONE is just dumb. The contrast of blue and yellow on white is one of the best parts of the Rams' look, muddling it all with grey is plain stupid. 

spacer.png

Serious question: How many designs are made anymore with the intent they last? I keep looking at the gray jersey and wonder, did the designers and Rams high-ups really make this expecting it to last? To be timeless?

Think of the giants of graphic design history: Vignelli, Chermayeff & Geismar, Rand, etc...all of them taught that timelessness was an essential component of design and that if it wasn’t timeless, it doesn’t work. It concerns me enormously when designs like the Rams’ come out because I think it lends to the notion that timelessness doesn’t really matter to some high-level designers anymore. There’s no way in Hades the bone uniform should have a shelf-life of longer than five years, it’ll look dated sooner than that if not already. 

Timelessness is one of the very last things that should be lost in design. I’m not going to exaggerate this and say it’s completely gone: there’s good examples of timelessness approach still going. But the last decade of NFL uniforms and still today has me worried it’s getting tossed aside more and more.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

28 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

WHY ARE THERE ONLY TV NUMBERS ON THIS JERSEY??

"From the trails of Griffith Park to the shores of Santa Monica, our community is active and assertive. The removal of television numbers from the iconic home jersey reflects the adventurous spirit of our fellow Angelenos, who spend Sundays not in front of a TV but surfing, sunning and soaking in the beauty of Southern California."

- Nike, probably.  

1 hour ago, OBomb said:

This point of view might blow up these boards, but here it goes:

The Rams changing the helmet horns is possibly as sacrilegious as the Yankees changing the interlocking NY. Or, for a better comparison, as sacrilegious as the Dodgers changing the interlocking LA logo.

The new horns look, well, not good. 

Agree. 70-year old design is gone. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Really? A nice, curved font gives the alarm clocks a run for their money? It fits the rest of the look, and the subtle curves on the inside don’t bother me much.

Yes it's bad, not alarm clock or Titans bad but I'd put it with those. 

It's only slightly better than the Falcons, only because they almost got the colors right. The segmented horn helmet is such a huge downgrade, they went from a top 5 maybe top 3 helmet to maybe a bottom 15, bottom 10 even. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I don’t think we can blame this trash on Nike, I think this is what the Rams wanted. From their logo botch to this it all screams to me as bad decision after bad decision by the Rams and Nike just shrugged and when”If this is what you want we’ll see you in 5 years."

Archived