Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bone jerseys are getting the brunt of the criticism here, justifiably. But the royal blue homes, which may look perfect upon comparison, have some fundamental flaws. 

Even beyond the gradient numbers, the most egregious issue -- in my opinion -- is that they eliminated the one defining characteristic of Rams uniforms throughout history: The actual sleeve horn.

This isn't a horn, but a full shoulder hoop meant to replicate the pattern of the actual horn. What's odd is that this treatment would be better suited to the Patriots or Colts, rather than the truncated epaulet-style stripes used on those uniforms. 

It's a shame. The Rams horn shoulders was one of the most innovative elements in the history of uniform design, along with the Ram horn helmet. 

EDIT: And yes, I realize the St. Louis-era gold-and-navy set did the same. But these uniforms, in these colors, had all marks of being inspired by the classics and missed on so many levels.

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, JLJ said:

A half assed crescent stripe and tv numbers out of nowhere? Grey pants? WTF guys. 

Seriously. 

If they had blue horns on the gray, with a yellow highlight somehow, in the same form as the home sleeve horns, it'd be much better. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

"Forced errors" are not just in baseball anymore!  The batch was a horrible idea, but the execution made it ten times worse.

This whole thing is a forced train wreck.  The royal blue unis are okay other than the number gradient.

The "bone" uni is a complete bone-headed disaster, from a mis-matched stupid patch to Ram horns that while looking good on the royal blue, look like a giant "WTF is that?" mess.  The yellow is almost completely faded out against the light background.  Someone needs to make Nike cease-and-desist this bastardized terrorism on team unis.  What a pile of total crap.

This is what happens when a company feels the need to prove its evolutionary/revolutionary design bona fides with each and every new project. More overthought, overwrought, underwhelming work from Nike. Period.

Still, team ownership has it within their power to push back against design excess. After all, you get to call the shots when you're paying the bills. Hopefully, more will choose to do so.   

"Inspired by... the sands of LA." Well, that sand is running through an hourglass, counting away the time - second by second - until these duds are jettisoned for a more traditional look in five years.

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The bone jerseys are getting the brunt of the criticism here, justifiably. But the royal blue homes, which may look perfect upon comparison, have some fundamental flaws. 

Even beyond the gradient numbers, the most egregious issue -- in my opinion -- is that they eliminated the one defining characteristic of Rams uniforms throughout history: The actual sleeve horn.

This isn't a horn, but a full shoulder hoop meant to replicate the pattern of the actual horn. What's odd is that this treatment would be better suited to the Patriots or Colts, rather than the truncated epaulet-style stripes used on those uniforms. 

It's a shame. The Rams horn shoulders was one of the most innovative elements in the history of uniform design, along with the Ram horn helmet. 

spacer.png

To be fair, outside of the throwback and color rush last year, the Rams haven’t had the horn on the sleeve in years. I’ll take that over this anyday.

spacer.png
The new one actually makes an effort to tie in to the helmet. The uniform above simply doesn’t.

Major downgrade, which is bad enough. What's worse is that they were entirely unnecessary. Way to go, Rams, not only did you not pay a bit of attention to what the majority of your fanbase wanted, you also messed up one of the great NFL helmets.  

Not much chance that "Bone x Bone" becomes a meme.

BB52Big.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Ironically, ASU at least had the common sense to not :censored: with the helmet horns. How a college team is more knowledgeable about brand legacy then one of the oldest teams in the NFL is :censored:ing beyond me.

Angelo State should not be patting themselves on the back--these uniforms are terrible.

7 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

This is what happens when a company feels the need to prove its evolutionary/revolutionary design bona fides with each and every new project. More overthought, overwrought, underwhelming work from Nike. Period.

Still, team ownership has it within their power to push back against design excess. After all, you get to call the shots when you're paying the bills. Hopefully, more will choose to do so. 

This is the unholy combination of Nike trying to prove it's revolutionary, and the Rams being so god damn desperate to make a big impact/splash, that they went for every single out of the box element possible without wondering whether any of it actually worked.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The bone away uniform would be better with blue replacing all of the yellow on the jersey and pants and a bone colored horn decal on the helmet rather than yellow. 

With that said, I really like the helmet alot. The segmented parts are meant to give the horn a 3D layered effect like a real ram horn. 

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

(though at least they finally got the blues to match on the helmet and jersey so they have that going for them I guess. Other than that.. well, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?)

I literally said "Oh no Rams what is you doing" when I saw that yellow patch thing on the back of the color on the bone jersey. That bone jersey is the worst thing I've ever seen in the NFL. I actually like the new logo and the home uniforms (probably because they nailed the shade of blue and yellow). This bone uniform is just wrong.

41 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

WHY ARE THERE ONLY TV NUMBERS ON THIS JERSEY??

Because the blue numbers contrast against the white, bone, and yellow in that area.  There's no good color to use for the blue jerseys, since white would disappear against the yellow.

The obvious solution here would be to put more blue and yellow on the "horn" of the bone jerseys, and skip the TV number there too.  It's really a baffling decision to make the jerseys so different.

33 minutes ago, LMU said:

Funny you should mention that... The Athletic has a piece on the design and they specifically cited Andrew Whitworth playing a role in making sure that the uniforms worked for the big guys.

I wonder what "work for the big guys" really means.  Like... there's extra stretchy elastic?

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

WHAT THE F IS THE ZIG ZAG PATTERN ON THE YELLOW SLEEVE MOON?????

Has Nike even released their diarrhea-like explanations for these crap details?

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

You're correct that the general pattern would work well for those other teams, but I think the Rams version is just fine too.  The sleeve horn just doesn't work well today.  I'm sure people are going to post the throwbacks and say "yes it does", but I guess I just see it differently.  These "hoops" look just fine to me, and I also loved how they did it on the STL version.  There's 99 problems, but sleeve horns ain't 1.

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

If they had blue horns on the gray, with a yellow highlight somehow, in the same form as the home sleeve horns, it'd be much better. 

Yep.  Totes.  They'd have to get rid of the TV number, like I said above, but that's fine with me.

2 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Why is the stripe on the blue pants white when the horn on both the jersey and helmet is yellow?

I hadn't noticed that until now.  Jesus mother effing by god christ. Everyone involved, from Nike, to the decision makers with the Rams, should be added to the record number of unemployment filers.  How so many people in this country can be losing their jobs, but these people keep theirs just points to how unfair the system is some times.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's why this new Rams set is better than the new Pats set:

1. The Rams have a nice home uniform. The blue helmet, blue shirt, and yellow pants look nice. Maybe you don't like some of the details, but it's a cohesive look that evokes LA Rams.

2. The Patriots do not have a nice home uniform. They do the bad monochrome, where a team has a helmet that is a remarkably different color than the shirt and pants. If the Pats had silver pants, it would be fine! But they don't. Also, I'm not sure what their pant striping is, but it's mismatched in their official uniform photoshoot.

Yes, the Pats road uniform is better than the Rams (which is...something else), but home uniforms are more important than roads.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They should change their name to the Moon Boners, or Bone Moons, or Moon Bones, or some version of that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

https://imgur.com/a/ZZfyM6R

Images from the video on ramsnewlook.com.

They had a version of the blue jersey with solid yellow numbers, and a white version with yellow sleeves. How could you, Nike?!?!

Seeing aqua green and orange next to the Rams colors makes me want to puke.

Nike is so extra.

ZcIWjWQ.jpg

#AnaheimDucksGoooaaalll #LightThatLamp #DucksFlyTogether

#BlowKingsBlow #YoureAllQueens #SJSharts

Just now, BlackAdam said:

https://imgur.com/a/ZZfyM6R

Images from the video on ramsnewlook.com.

They had a version of the blue jersey with solid yellow numbers, and a white version with yellow sleeves. How could you, Nike?!?!

Seeing aqua green and orange next to the Rams colors makes me want to puke.

Nike is so extra.

I actually like the idea of a BFBS uniform for them.  Royal and yellow against black works for me... not full time obv.

Archived