OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

Rams are a solid D-.

Pretty similar to my rankings except bucs and colts also get an A+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

 

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bone jerseys are getting the brunt of the criticism here, justifiably. But the royal blue homes, which may look perfect upon comparison, have some fundamental flaws. 

 

Even beyond the gradient numbers, the most egregious issue -- in my opinion -- is that they eliminated the one defining characteristic of Rams uniforms throughout history: The actual sleeve horn.
 

This isn't a horn, but a full shoulder hoop meant to replicate the pattern of the actual horn. What's odd is that this treatment would be better suited to the Patriots or Colts, rather than the truncated epaulet-style stripes used on those uniforms. 

 

It's a shame. The Rams horn shoulders was one of the most innovative elements in the history of uniform design, along with the Ram horn helmet. 

 

EDIT: And yes, I realize the St. Louis-era gold-and-navy set did the same. But these uniforms, in these colors, had all marks of being inspired by the classics and missed on so many levels.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JLJ said:

A half assed crescent stripe and tv numbers out of nowhere? Grey pants? WTF guys. 

 

Seriously. 

 

If they had blue horns on the gray, with a yellow highlight somehow, in the same form as the home sleeve horns, it'd be much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png

Why is the stripe on the blue pants white when the horn on both the jersey and helmet is yellow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the admiral said:

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

 

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

 

"Forced errors" are not just in baseball anymore!  The batch was a horrible idea, but the execution made it ten times worse.

This whole thing is a forced train wreck.  The royal blue unis are okay other than the number gradient.

The "bone" uni is a complete bone-headed disaster, from a mis-matched stupid patch to Ram horns that while looking good on the royal blue, look like a giant "WTF is that?" mess.  The yellow is almost completely faded out against the light background.  Someone needs to make Nike cease-and-desist this bastardized terrorism on team unis.  What a pile of total crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what happens when a company feels the need to prove its evolutionary/revolutionary design bona fides with each and every new project. More overthought, overwrought, underwhelming work from Nike. Period.

Still, team ownership has it within their power to push back against design excess. After all, you get to call the shots when you're paying the bills. Hopefully, more will choose to do so.   

"Inspired by... the sands of LA." Well, that sand is running through an hourglass, counting away the time - second by second - until these duds are jettisoned for a more traditional look in five years.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The bone jerseys are getting the brunt of the criticism here, justifiably. But the royal blue homes, which may look perfect upon comparison, have some fundamental flaws. 

 

Even beyond the gradient numbers, the most egregious issue -- in my opinion -- is that they eliminated the one defining characteristic of Rams uniforms throughout history: The actual sleeve horn.
 

This isn't a horn, but a full shoulder hoop meant to replicate the pattern of the actual horn. What's odd is that this treatment would be better suited to the Patriots or Colts, rather than the truncated epaulet-style stripes used on those uniforms. 

 

It's a shame. The Rams horn shoulders was one of the most innovative elements in the history of uniform design, along with the Ram horn helmet. 

 

spacer.png

To be fair, outside of the throwback and color rush last year, the Rams haven’t had the horn on the sleeve in years. I’ll take that over this anyday.

spacer.png
The new one actually makes an effort to tie in to the helmet. The uniform above simply doesn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Major downgrade, which is bad enough. What's worse is that they were entirely unnecessary. Way to go, Rams, not only did you not pay a bit of attention to what the majority of your fanbase wanted, you also messed up one of the great NFL helmets.  

 

Not much chance that "Bone x Bone" becomes a meme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

  Ironically, ASU at least had the common sense to not :censored: with the helmet horns. How a college team is more knowledgeable about brand legacy then one of the oldest teams in the NFL is :censored:ing beyond me.

Angelo State should not be patting themselves on the back--these uniforms are terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's so much blatantly and offensively awful about these that I feel like we aren't spending enough time noticing the subtle and awful parts. Like why oh WHY do the shoulder stripes on the two jerseys differ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

This is what happens when a company feels the need to prove its evolutionary/revolutionary design bona fides with each and every new project. More overthought, overwrought, underwhelming work from Nike. Period.

Still, team ownership has it within their power to push back against design excess. After all, you get to call the shots when you're paying the bills. Hopefully, more will choose to do so. 

 

This is the unholy combination of Nike trying to prove it's revolutionary, and the Rams being so god damn desperate to make a big impact/splash, that they went for every single out of the box element possible without wondering whether any of it actually worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bone away uniform would be better with blue replacing all of the yellow on the jersey and pants and a bone colored horn decal on the helmet rather than yellow. 

 

With that said, I really like the helmet alot. The segmented parts are meant to give the horn a 3D layered effect like a real ram horn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

(though at least they finally got the blues to match on the helmet and jersey so they have that going for them I guess. Other than that.. well, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?)

 

I literally said "Oh no Rams what is you doing" when I saw that yellow patch thing on the back of the color on the bone jersey. That bone jersey is the worst thing I've ever seen in the NFL. I actually like the new logo and the home uniforms (probably because they nailed the shade of blue and yellow). This bone uniform is just wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RedSox44 said:

WHY ARE THERE ONLY TV NUMBERS ON THIS JERSEY??

 

Because the blue numbers contrast against the white, bone, and yellow in that area.  There's no good color to use for the blue jerseys, since white would disappear against the yellow.

 

The obvious solution here would be to put more blue and yellow on the "horn" of the bone jerseys, and skip the TV number there too.  It's really a baffling decision to make the jerseys so different.

 

33 minutes ago, LMU said:

Funny you should mention that... The Athletic has a piece on the design and they specifically cited Andrew Whitworth playing a role in making sure that the uniforms worked for the big guys.

 

I wonder what "work for the big guys" really means.  Like... there's extra stretchy elastic?

 

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

 

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

 

WHAT THE F IS THE ZIG ZAG PATTERN ON THE YELLOW SLEEVE MOON?????

 

Has Nike even released their diarrhea-like explanations for these crap details?

 

 

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Even beyond the gradient numbers, the most egregious issue -- in my opinion -- is that they eliminated the one defining characteristic of Rams uniforms throughout history: The actual sleeve horn.
 

This isn't a horn, but a full shoulder hoop meant to replicate the pattern of the actual horn. What's odd is that this treatment would be better suited to the Patriots or Colts, rather than the truncated epaulet-style stripes used on those uniforms. 

 

You're correct that the general pattern would work well for those other teams, but I think the Rams version is just fine too.  The sleeve horn just doesn't work well today.  I'm sure people are going to post the throwbacks and say "yes it does", but I guess I just see it differently.  These "hoops" look just fine to me, and I also loved how they did it on the STL version.  There's 99 problems, but sleeve horns ain't 1.

 

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

If they had blue horns on the gray, with a yellow highlight somehow, in the same form as the home sleeve horns, it'd be much better. 

 

Yep.  Totes.  They'd have to get rid of the TV number, like I said above, but that's fine with me.

 

2 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Why is the stripe on the blue pants white when the horn on both the jersey and helmet is yellow?

 

I hadn't noticed that until now.  Jesus mother effing by god christ. Everyone involved, from Nike, to the decision makers with the Rams, should be added to the record number of unemployment filers.  How so many people in this country can be losing their jobs, but these people keep theirs just points to how unfair the system is some times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's why this new Rams set is better than the new Pats set:

 

1. The Rams have a nice home uniform. The blue helmet, blue shirt, and yellow pants look nice. Maybe you don't like some of the details, but it's a cohesive look that evokes LA Rams.

 

2. The Patriots do not have a nice home uniform. They do the bad monochrome, where a team has a helmet that is a remarkably different color than the shirt and pants. If the Pats had silver pants, it would be fine! But they don't. Also, I'm not sure what their pant striping is, but it's mismatched in their official uniform photoshoot.

 

Yes, the Pats road uniform is better than the Rams (which is...something else), but home uniforms are more important than roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should change their name to the Moon Boners, or Bone Moons, or Moon Bones, or some version of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://imgur.com/a/ZZfyM6R

Images from the video on ramsnewlook.com.

 

They had a version of the blue jersey with solid yellow numbers, and a white version with yellow sleeves. How could you, Nike?!?!

 

Seeing aqua green and orange next to the Rams colors makes me want to puke.

 

Nike is so extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackAdam said:

https://imgur.com/a/ZZfyM6R

Images from the video on ramsnewlook.com.

 

They had a version of the blue jersey with solid yellow numbers, and a white version with yellow sleeves. How could you, Nike?!?!

 

Seeing aqua green and orange next to the Rams colors makes me want to puke.

 

Nike is so extra.

 

I actually like the idea of a BFBS uniform for them.  Royal and yellow against black works for me... not full time obv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.