Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

14 minutes ago, JLJ said:

I said this way earlier in the thread, but I’ll say it again now...the Rams only need yellow pants for both home and away. The quoted post is beyond proof.

That post is also one that barely shows the segmented horns and white/yellow/bone sleeve details. 

It looks the best because all the details that have rendered it crummy have been obscured by the angle of the shot. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Serious question: How many designs are made anymore with the intent they last? I keep looking at the gray jersey and wonder, did the designers and Rams high-ups really make this expecting it to last? To be timeless?

Think of the giants of graphic design history: Vignelli, Chermayeff & Geismar, Rand, etc...all of them taught that timelessness was an essential component of design and that if it wasn’t timeless, it doesn’t work. It concerns me enormously when designs like the Rams’ come out because I think it lends to the notion that timelessness doesn’t really matter to some high-level designers anymore. There’s no way in Hades the bone uniform should have a shelf-life of longer than five years, it’ll look dated sooner than that if not already. 

Timelessness is one of the very last things that should be lost in design. I’m not going to exaggerate this and say it’s completely gone: there’s good examples of timelessness approach still going. But the last decade of NFL uniforms and still today has me worried it’s getting tossed aside more and more.

I get the sense that the powers-that-be don't believe "timelessness" does much for increasing licensed product sales.

Sadly, the cynic in me is beginning to think that pro sports franchises and multinational athletic wear designer-manufacturers have hit upon the notion that rolling out new looks every five to ten years is a chance to generate serious dough through the sale of new jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, caps, etc.

After all, there are always going to be fans who want to sport the "straight fire" new looks, no matter how ridiculously beyond-the-envelope-pushing they might be. Then there are "completist" supporters who will want to have some piece of merchandise that's part of the new scheme, even if they're not entirely sold on it. And as for the die-hards who can't understand why their favorite team would ever change its look? Well, they're the target for retro/throwback merchandise.

Best case scenario in the world of modern sports branding and licensed product sales? A team's new look takes off and the franchise make tons of money and rides the gravy-train until it peters out. Worst case scenario? The new design doesn't catch on, sales are underwhelming, and the franchise sets itself up to make more money when it introduces the next version - either a carbon-copy return to a previous look, a slightly-tweaked "modern take on our classic brand", or another "evolutionary/revolutionary" reimagining.

Is there a limit to how much of this change-for-the-sake-of-not-exactly-spare-change sports-loving consumers will take? I'm sure there is, though the marketplace doesn't seem to have hit it yet. 

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That post is also one that barely shows the segmented horns and white/yellow/bone sleeve details. 

It looks the best because all the details that have rendered it crummy have been obscured by the angle of the shot. 

I never said it looked the best. My post was an indictment of monochrome.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

Aside from the royal/yellow colors, that's the one redeeming feature of the whole set.

No, I fully disagree.

The different shades of blue gave the classic set amazing color balance. 

I’m about to get dunked on. So be it.

Lose the ad patches. Why are they there anyway?

Lose the TV numbers on the road jersey.

Lose the gradient numbers on the home jersey.
Add blue “horns” and lose the white ones on the road jersey.

Wear only yellow pants, or at least add a blue stripe on the road pants.

Do all of this and IMHO it’s not bad. I said I needed to wait to see everything in full before making a final judgement (and technically we still haven’t). I’m STILL going against the grain: I’m not overly disappointed. It’s FAR from perfect, but it’s not a total dumpster fire. Yes, I’ll still be purchasing gear. Guess I’ll be one of the few that actually will.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Serious question: I'm not now, nor will I ever be, someone who is up to date on modern fashion trends. But Nike is a brand that, throughout much of its history, has attempted to apply modern fashion into sports apparel. 

Are any of these strange choices -- the gradients, the color "bone," the strange random stitching patterns, the big tag on the back collar -- indicators of larger non-sports fashion trends of which I'm otherwise unaware?

5 minutes ago, Ark said:

No, I fully disagree.

The different shades of blue gave the classic set amazing color balance. 

But navy wasn't a team color. I'm not sure how navy balances anything out if navy wasn't on the jersey or the pants or the socks.

I have few problems with the navy helmet (I also am fond of the Giants' old navy helmets, because nostalgia) but making it metallic royal blue to match the jersey is definitely an upgrade.  The Giants' metallic blue helmets look pretty great with royal blue jerseys. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

I’m about to get dunked on. So be it.

Lose the ad patches. Why are they there anyway?

Lose the TV numbers on the road jersey.

Lose the gradient numbers on the home jersey.
Add blue “horns” and lose the white ones on the road jersey.

Wear only yellow pants, or at least add a blue stripe on the road pants.

Do all of this and IMHO it’s not bad. I said I needed to wait to see everything in full before making a final judgement (and technically we still haven’t). I’m STILL going against the grain: I’m not overly disappointed. It’s FAR from perfect, but it’s not a total dumpster fire. Yes, I’ll still be purchasing gear. Guess I’ll be the few that actually will.

you-just-gestured-to-all-of-me-gif-1.gif

I just noticed a white curved stripe on the sleeves of the bone jersey.  Now the yellow stripe makes a little sense.

The number font actually goes with the helvetica font in their social media posts.  That font's probably going to be all over Sofi.

The bone might not look so bad under bright lights and sun.  It may look almost white.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But navy wasn't a team color. I'm not sure how navy balances anything out if navy wasn't on the jersey or the pants or the socks.

I have few problems with the navy helmet (I also am fond of the Giants' old navy helmets, because nostalgia) but making it metallic royal blue to match the jersey is definitely an upgrade.  The Giants' metallic blue helmets look pretty great with royal blue jerseys. 

Especially with the home jersey, a royal blue jersey + a royal blue helmet = too much royal blue. I don't mean to say it looks bad, but the navy blue helmet (for both the Rams and Giants) looks better IMO.

Archived