Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

21 minutes ago, JLJ said:

This looks like a Virgil Abloh design. Coincidently his fashion company is called Off-White.

The patch with the stitching and pull tab really look Off-White inspired. I'm not a huge fan of what they have done but I think they knocked it out of the park from an execution of the theme standpoint. I think this will look really dated in a handful of years and I wouldn't be surprised to see tweaks to remove some of these superfluous details.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the helmet is near perfect. The shade of blue is gorgeous.

The horn is great too IMO. I know there are some who see it as two separate things. To those same people, it looks like a moon crescent.

But, if you look at it, I mean really look at it, you'll see what it's trying to do. I love the classic Ram horn. but, instead of being a 2D curl, its a textured Ram horn that has the trademark ridge on it. It looks alot more like a realistic ram horn than the old one did.

5 minutes ago, sisdog said:

spacer.pngProducts up at nike.com. Looks worse, khaki like.

spacer.png

Don't hate that in and of itself. Would like nice with jeans.

Nike has been very clear that they're creating disposable uniform design. They've been overt about it in NCAA and soccer for years, and went all-in with the NBA a couple of seasons ago.

When the NFL drops its 5-year rule, we'll be getting City or Gridiron or whatever equivalent for NFL teams as well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I just noticed a white curved stripe on the sleeves of the bone jersey.  Now the yellow stripe makes a little sense.

The number font actually goes with the helvetica font in their social media posts.  That font's probably going to be all over Sofi.

The bone might not look so bad under bright lights and sun.  It may look almost white.

But the Rams stadium will have tempered sunlight, as it passes through the roof. 

And if they wanted it to look white...why not just go with white?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, OBomb said:

This point of view might blow up these boards, but here it goes:

The Rams changing the helmet horns is possibly as sacrilegious as the Yankees changing the interlocking NY. Or, for a better comparison, as sacrilegious as the Dodgers changing the interlocking LA logo.

Can't say I agree. This isn't even the first time they've changed the horns.

spacer.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Can't say I agree. This isn't even the first time they've changed the horns.

spacer.png

That was only one season, and smoothing them out is not nearly as egregious as literally changing the entire shape of the horn. And at least that horn is one connected shape; the new horns look more like a crescent moon and stripe than, well, the horns of a ram, which is what the team is named for.

The basic conceit of the Ram's helmet has been the same shape since the 1950's. There's something to be said about a team like the Rams keeping a look because it's what is iconic. At that point, it's like arguing that the Browns should mess with their helmet; it's stupid.

I haven't read any of the marketing materials...

But are the zig zags on the sleeves and nametags a homage to the city flag? 

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Check out the detail here on the lower portion of the numbers. The gold lines extend beyond the gold of the gradient. It also appears to have a 'sunset orange'-ish line on the shoulder design. I thought it was interesting because those elements didn't seem to make it into the version we saw released today. 

PLAYERS-sol-_03.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I... I actually like these? Like, they’re not perfect or anything, but I actually think they’re a decent update of the previous unis. I could do without the gradient numbers and I wish the away was just a recolor of the home, but overall, they aren’t nearly as bad as some people are making them out to be. 

Then again, maybe I just had such low expectations based on the logo that almost anything would be decent. 

18 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Serious question: I'm not now, nor will I ever be, someone who is up to date on modern fashion trends. But Nike is a brand that, throughout much of its history, has attempted to apply modern fashion into sports apparel. 

Are any of these strange choices -- the gradients, the color "bone," the strange random stitching patterns, the big tag on the back collar -- indicators of larger non-sports fashion trends of which I'm otherwise unaware?

This thread is moving quickly so sorry if this has been explained to you but I and JLJ made a comment about the brand Off-White (ironic that the name coincides with the bone idea) who has collaborated with Nike extensively. Their signature is strange stitching, big tags, descriptions of things on themselves (i.e. "shoelace" on a shoelace)and an overall deconstructed look that lines up with this set very nicely. Here is a pair of shoes and a shirt that have some of these elements.

That's why I think this was well executed because they accomplished what they wanted. I'm not a fan of a lot of that and it has NO staying power but it did what they wanted to. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived