Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue over yellow combo is obviously the best. Hopefully they mix the bone/white jersey with the blue and yellow pants, but instead they only put the two all white looks on display and of course the pitiful same colored sock look that every team thinks is cool now. God forbid you be original and look professional.

The hue of the “Bone” jerseys was inspired by the natural color of a ram horn, as well as by California beaches and even the clothes of the players. Kirkham said the design team scrolled through player-arrival photos from game days and saw many repeatedly wearing designer clothing in this color.

Yeesh.

https://theathletic.com/1809735/2020/05/13/love-or-hate-them-you-should-know-the-inside-details-of-the-rams-new-uniforms/#_=_ 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

I think that's a good looking helmet...thought I'm a little surprised they didn't use metallic/metallic chrome decals that change shades and can create an illusion of orange.  Also wish they went with metallic blue facemask. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, canzman said:

Here are all the Rams new possible combos
Dark
4bhR4xn.png
MDmeUNw.png
dMNNt0W.png
l9f1Y9I.png
OqMoijz.png
NcGSE5P.png
Light
MrbaMa9.png
DWAyWru.png
fVIengn.png
qEV0uF0.png
iJ86vhM.png
obNoMRU.png
Alternate/Color Rush
None listed in Style Guide
Throwback
None listed in Style Guide

So they went with bold separations on the logo but on the numbers it's so subliminal it makes it pointlessly stupid.

1 hour ago, ramsker said:

I'm just hoping they're open to different combos. 

spacer.png

Who chose this pose to model these? Not every model/graphic has to be Superman flying over a linebacker,  but this doesn't do the design any favors all scrunched up.

On second thought, maybe I'm just too worn out on this design already and his socks are simply sixteen inches too high, making this set look even more haphazard. I'm going to make myself a drink.

I now think that this thread should be preserved for the ages as a historical reference for sports franchise branding, as required reading for any franchise undergoing a re-design.

The Chargers are an example, for the most part, about how to do this correctly.

The Rams are an example, in just about every single way, of how to do this poorly.

12 minutes ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

I didn't like this much in the fan mockups I saw. I always loved the old helmet logos, and got those anytime I bought myself Rams gear.

But I actually thinks this works.

I still wish they hadn't changed the shape of the decal (the new details are fine). But I do think they worked out the new decal the best it could be done with the new shape.

35 minutes ago, JTernup said:

This thread is moving quickly so sorry if this has been explained to you but I and JLJ made a comment about the brand Off-White (ironic that the name coincides with the bone idea) who has collaborated with Nike extensively. Their signature is strange stitching, big tags, descriptions of things on themselves (i.e. "shoelace" on a shoelace)and an overall deconstructed look that lines up with this set very nicely. Here is a pair of shoes and a shirt that have some of these elements.

That's why I think this was well executed because they accomplished what they wanted. I'm not a fan of a lot of that and it has NO staying power but it did what they wanted to. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but that’s exactly what the tags and random squiggle remind me of. It could’ve been executed a little better but now I see what they were going for. Should’ve called up Virgil Abloh, the originator of the look, if they wanted to do it right. Nike already has him on their payroll and the Rams having Abloh on board with the redesign would’ve really helped cater to the LA crowd 

6 minutes ago, jws008 said:

I now think that this thread should be preserved for the ages as a historical reference for sports franchise branding, as required reading for any franchise undergoing a re-design.

The Chargers are an example, for the most part, about how to do this correctly.

The Rams are an example, in just about every single way, of how to do this poorly.

I think that’s what’s most baffling about all of this: going into the news both teams were changing, I fully expected the Chargers to be the one overthinking and botching this to an unbelievable degree, and the Rams to be the ones doing this right. I never expected the roles to be so definitively reversed.

I mean, the Chargers absolutely schooled the Rams on how to conduct a rebrand, and by miles. Not just uniforms, but every aspect included.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Ok, I've had some time to think about it... here's my take:

The helmets are the best part of the new set. The color should look gorgeous with the right lighting and the horns are good. At the very least the divide/split detail doesn't look horrible and it allows the Rams to reclaim a design that has been largely copied by many, many teams. The more I look at the helmets, the more I like them.

The rest is... a jumble of a mess. The pants are ok (at least the yellow ones, the blue could use a redesign). The blue jersey is the better of the two. I could live without the gradient numbers and the really confusing team name patch (which is... ???). The font looks like it was pulled straight off of Microsoft Word, which makes it look cheap and underwhelming. The bone uniform has to be the most atrocious uniform I've seen in the NFL yet. The color is ok, but the reliance on the white and yellow, and the fact that there is a different design than the blue makes this set really bad, and I can already tell it won't age well. It seem the Rams design team really wanted to lean into a "designer" look (took me a long time to come up with a word that fit the whole set's philosophy) and that ruined what should be a fairly easy set to design. Designer fashion =/= a good football uniform. With all the weird colors, patches, and details, it just falls flat and looks like it was thrown together by a fashion designer who has no idea how to throw together a football uniform.

Probably my least favorite redesign this year.

On another note, there is already a snapchat filter up with the new uniforms. 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Jesus Christ, Rams.

YOU. ARE. A. FOOTBALL. TEAM. YOU. ARE. NOT. A. LIFESTYLE. BRAND.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived