Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Don't like those bone ones. The other two I like. But idk what it is the sharp contrast between the blue numbers on the white looks weird to me. And the little thin yellow stripe on the pants I don't see why it's there when it'll be unnoticeable from a distance. Could have at least had a blue outline on it 

(non football fan perspective)

IMG-7122.gif

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I....like these? They’re not my favorite look in the league by a wide margin, but I like what they’ve done quite a bit. I’m against monochrome usually, and that doesn’t change in this case. Royal head to toe and bone-o-chrome are their worst looks by far. If I were to make 2 tweaks it would be to make the shiny inline number effect smaller, much more subtle, and to rethink the pant stripes. Simplify those two things and avoid monochrome and we have a winner. I like the number font better after seeing more numbers than just “20”, I like the patch details that are clearly street-wear/Off-White inspired. I think they add value to the uniform as a piece of clothing a fan would wear, and don’t distract from it as a football uniform when seen from feet away or more on a football field. I like the quirks of having two different striping styles, even though I know I shouldn’t. The segmented horn doesn’t bother me as much in practice as I thought it would, and I actually like the helmets a lot. That’s a great shade of blue, and terrific finish on the helmet. This all comes down to their brand, and I think it fits where they are going perfectly. The uniform is just another storytelling element, and in this case it doesn’t appear as though their story is going to be “Remember the LA Rams? Like, from before? That’s us!” That works for teams and may have worked for the Rams but they opted for injection of new life instead of nostalgia. I think it’ll work.

I want to be clear: If they had branded themselves in a different way, starting with their logo package and wordmarks, then I wouldn’t support these uniform decisions. If they recolored the St. Louis logo and went with a sporty and sleek wordmark then these don’t fit. If they went with an homage to an older logo and a reworked retro LA Rams wordmark then these don’t make sense. They did what they did and I think these fit that direction very well and don’t look bad unless they’re monochrome. 

TL;DR: Roast me for liking these.

I mean he's not wrong. Chargers jerseys are great, but both teams are still trying to build a brand in LA and look nearly identical with certain jerseys.

Chargers need to drop all white and dark uniforms just to be different.

AAyUmAS.png

4 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Minus the videotapes, of course. 

Nah dude, pulled out the VCR and VHs tapes the other day. Looking for my folks wedding tape since its their 30th in october, Ended up watching old eps of Ninja Turtles and the Disney Sing a long tapes.

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The more I think about it, the more I doubt this. 

NBA teams didn't have trial placeholder patches. They just did it.

The Rams don't need a trial patch either. A placeholder patch isn't required to add a sponsor patch. 

I look at this more of the writing being on the wall, like when the Hornets unveiled their uniforms with the NBA logo above the name

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

17 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I can't believe it, the rams somehow did the impossible.

ff_3687759-c494972b9c3672d132acalt1_full

They made these somehow look better than theirs.

A month or so ago I absolutely hated the new Falcons unis. But after seeing what the Rams revealed today, I will gladly stare at that Falcons jersey for a solid hour just to get the "bone" atrocity out of my brain.

17 hours ago, j'villejags said:

2 words. Bone. Helmet. 

Sounds kinda painful.

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

EX6G5ndUEAAWvTX?format=jpg&name=small

A white patch on an off-white jersey with yellow stitching?!? What the hell is this? This is awful!

The sleeves look like an ad for a radio station.  LA’s Hottest Country, 99 KLAR, The Beach.  

4 hours ago, kw11333 said:

I mean he's not wrong. Chargers jerseys are great, but both teams are still trying to build a brand in LA and look nearly identical with certain jerseys.

AAyUmAS.png

The Chargers’ all white is beautiful and looks nothing like the Rams all bone.

The royal Chargers uni is an alternate and will be worn once a year. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The more I look at the new uniforms, the more I think that if they ever wear bone/bone/blue, it’s gonna look really good and resemble a baseball uniform.

I also think these aren’t the worst uniforms in the NFL. That trophy belongs in Glendale.

I keep going back and analyzing this new Rams uniform set over and over again because I'm supposed to hate them. Look at my list of favorite uniforms under my screen name. All traditional. All classic. All iconic. This new Rams set is everything I'm supposed to hate. I review the pictures over and over again telling myself, "Everyone else hates these. Why don't I?"

But for various reasons which I've already outlined in this thread, I actually like it. Especially if the Rams use some of the really nice mix and match possibilities. Bone over blue and Bone over yellow would probably look really good IMO.

I say it's time for the Rams to "own" their new branding.

Let's combine the crescent moon reaction to the new helmet logo with Dickerson's "two bananas" comment:

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the all-new Los Angeles Banana Moons!

Heck, there's even a new team song (everyone can sing along!):
"It's only a banana moon, sailing over a monkey in a tree..."

Brutal opinion from the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2020-05-13/column-rams-new-uniforms-dont-fit-with-iconic-brand

"Rams fans wanted their horns back, they wanted their blue back and they wanted their yellow back.

They weren’t providing arbitrary talking points to take back to an artist to reimagine a new look to, as Demoff said this week, “match the style and design” of SoFi Stadium. The fans wanted the throwback jerseys of Eric Dickerson, Jack Youngblood, Deacon Jones and Roman Gabriel that they were already wearing to the Coliseum.

Demoff might have thought he was listening, but he didn’t hear."

7 hours ago, kw11333 said:

This is what I've been saying, and why I was really surprised the Chargers kept a royal blue alt (it's not as if they needed another shade of blue!). Even if their primary is a touch lighter shade. Same general color scheme, same reliance on semi-circular helmet logos as a primary branding element. Just kind of odd.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So, after sitting on them a day I actually really like the blue jersey, when/if it'll be worn with yellow pants. I'd love for this one to stick around after five or so years, but only as an alt.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The more I look at the new uniforms, the more I think that if they ever wear bone/bone/blue, it’s gonna look really good and resemble a baseball uniform.

I also think these aren’t the worst uniforms in the NFL. That trophy belongs in Glendale.

The Dodgers to boot, at least on the road.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived