OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

1 hour ago, Delicate Genius said:

Fret not, Rams fans. The throwbacks are coming.

LvKUyrv.jpg

wow. these are 10x better than the new uniforms. And these were a temporary stopgap. Maybe change the gold to yellow and you're set. 

That navy/white helmet is great.

1 hour ago, Delicate Genius said:

LvKUyrv.jpg

Really all they had to do was:

Home: keep the royal blue and yellow set with updated colors and the new helmet shell (old horns)

Away: Add an away set that corresponded with the home. Maybe add white or royal pants with consistent striping to enable multiple combos.

Alternate 1: Fearsome Foursome Away Throwback with white horns. Could be a replica of the 2017-19 away uniforms with every St. Louis gold highlight removed

Alternate 2: Keep yellow color rush with royal blue instead of navy OR Fearsome foursome navy on white throwbacks with the same St. Louis Navy jersey with all gold highlights removed.spacer.pngImagine these with all of the gold replaced with white.

This way, the rams could have a uniform set similar to the dolphins in a sense. The dolphins have a modern home and away set, and a throwback home and away set. The rams could have done something similar, by using a royal/yellow set AND a navy/white set as alternates

4 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Why did we have to watch years of these monstrosities if they didn't even end up switching to blue and white

Thank you for pointing this out! It drives me nuts that the white helmet horns were absolutely pointless and no one would have cared if they had just stuck with the gold horns for a couple of years. I also just realized that it's been a full 20 years since we last saw the Rams wear the greatest road uniform they've ever had and should have never changed. They were iconic.

spacer.png

kurt-warner-st-louis-rams-arizona-cardin

I look forward to the Rams (hopefully) bringing these back in five years when they're forced to admit their mistake like the Bucs and Browns did.

7 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

LvKUyrv.jpg

I'll take it. I'll take almost anything!

I blame this on the Rams, Nike doesn’t even do elements like what’s on these uniforms in college anymore. They have since gone minimal mean while the Rams tried shoving every idea they could think of into this and failed miserably. All they had to do was change the color of the helmet to the new color, and update the throwbacks with a new font at the most. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I blame this on the Rams, Nike doesn’t even do elements like what’s on these uniforms in college anymore. They have since gone minimal mean while the Rams tried shoving every idea they could think of into this and failed miserably. All they had to do was change the color of the helmet to the new color, and update the throwbacks with a new font at the most. 

Yep.  I'm sure Nike sold them on all these gadgets and features, but the Rams still bought it.  It's clear that their initial direction or "one big thing" was about having something that stands out, and nothing at all to do with their traditions.

Have we gotten the Nike Speak yet?  I'm dying to know what crap they have to say about some of the elements.

The STL uniforms (the originals, with only gold pants) were nearly perfect football uniforms, and could easily have been recolored to match the LA colors.  I'm not advocating for a recolor, but to use that as a base, and then do a few tweeks here and there.  Ditch the TV numbers if you want, put a stripe on the pants if you want, maybe try to do the gradient, but then STOP RIGHT THERE. 

Much like with the Falcons, they didn't stop at one new feature that stands out - they tried to cram like 5 new things in there, and it's all just too much.  Do the plastic/gradient numbers this release, and then add the patches in the .1, tweak the horns for the .2, etc. 

Like the Falcons, they left themselves no room to evolve without hitting the delete key and starting over.

It's like software.  80% of the features are used 20% of the time, and 20% are used 80%.  Waterfall development resulted in long lead times and delivered everything all at once, without any time for people to actually use it and see what they liked and whate else they needed.  Often times, you had to just write a whole new piece of software to replace what you just spent years building.

With agile development, you do incremental releases, get the feedback, then adjust what you did, or add a new feature in the next release.

NFL teams need to be more agile, and end their waterfall processes.

I'm still at a big loss at how a designer looked at these uniforms as a set, even in their final review, and said, "Yup! This set is perfect!"

Put aside what you think of the new horns on the helmet.

Put aside the whole idea of "bone" and a non-white light uniform.

Put aside the stupid yellow thread and the patch it "holds in place".

(Seriously, I dislike all of these decisions, but can understand why they were chosen from a design viewpoint)

How in a final review process are the following questions not asked:

1. Why are we using gradient numbers on one uniform and not the other?

2. Why are we using two different shoulder and sleeve designs for the horns?

2a. Why are the shoulder horns and sleeves different colors on each set when they don't have to be?

3. Why does one uniform have TV numbers and the other doesn't?

4. Why is one patch matching the color of the jersey and the other one doesn't?

5. In summary, does anyone else look at the two main uniforms (leaving out the yellow pants here) and wonder why they look like they were put together by two different committees?

That's why I think this is such a poor design, and why I think it's not only 30th in the NFL's current uniform sets, but might be the worst uniform set in the league's history, though the recent Bucs and Jags sets give it a run for the title. I mean, at least the "alarm clock" numbers and the two-toned helmet were used on all combinations of those sets.

It seems like teams are shoehorning in a lot of gimmicks knowing they can always "give the fans what they want" with a throwback as an alternate. There is a large contingent of fans who - for whatever reason - love this style of design.

2 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

It seems like teams are shoehorning in a lot of gimmicks knowing they can always "give the fans what they want" with a throwback as an alternate. There is a large contingent of fans who - for whatever reason - love this style of design.

I cannot imagine anyone liking that bone design. IMO, the worst part is the sleeve numbers overlapping the so-called horn design; it just looks sloppy to me. But the odd thing is, I've not seen anyone in the media or online mention that in their complaints. Doesn't that bug anyone but me?

15 minutes ago, OldRamsFan said:

I cannot imagine anyone liking that bone design. IMO, the worst part is the sleeve numbers overlapping the so-called horn design; it just looks sloppy to me. But the odd thing is, I've not seen anyone in the media or online mention that in their complaints. Doesn't that bug anyone but me?

Those sleeves are atrocious...

1 minute ago, jp1409 said:

Those sleeves are atrocious...

Barf-worthy.

I've never seen a uniform unveiling that disappointed such a large percentage of fans to this extent.

I'm hoping that their first alt is an alt away uniform that they will use for every away game!

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Think about this though, these uniforms have been in development since they moved back to LA in 2016. Almost seems like they were going off what was popular with college uniforms in 2016. 

11 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I wonder if the Rams had gone whole hog on the gradient if that improves the look. It certainly makes the 3D effect of the horns easier to pick out.

fPvtYAl.png

As much as I hate to say it, it does look better

16 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I wonder if the Rams had gone whole hog on the gradient if that improves the look. It certainly makes the 3D effect of the horns easier to pick out.

fPvtYAl.png

This makes zero sense to me, why am I liking this more? I hate everything about gradients. 

1 minute ago, ramsker said:

This makes zero sense to me, why am I liking this more? I hate everything about gradients. 

I think because it makes it look more like horns?

On the away uniform, you can then replicate the effect of the LA monogram on light backgrounds by making the front horn blue. In this way, you have a distinction between solid blue forms and bone/orange/yellow gradient. 

qDXp3mv.png

los_angeles_rams_2020-pres.png

6 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Thank you for pointing this out! It drives me nuts that the white helmet horns were absolutely pointless and no one would have cared if they had just stuck with the gold horns for a couple of years. I also just realized that it's been a full 20 years since we last saw the Rams wear the greatest road uniform they've ever had and should have never changed. They were iconic.

spacer.png

kurt-warner-st-louis-rams-arizona-cardin

I look forward to the Rams (hopefully) bringing these back in five years when they're forced to admit their mistake like the Bucs and Browns did.

That’s the most annoying part. Gradient numbers aside, they successfully made a modern version of the home royal/yellow uniform. Boggles my mind they didn’t make a Bone road version modeled after this and put them over the new yellow pants. It was right there.

The tweet below nails it. He fixed the numbers, but everything else is the modern look and it’s beautiful. Model 1 and 3 should be the Rams we see today. Sigh.

34 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

fPvtYAl.png

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

On the away uniform, you can then replicate the effect of the LA monogram on light backgrounds by making the front horn blue. In this way, you have a distinction between solid blue forms and bone/orange/yellow gradient. 

qDXp3mv.png

los_angeles_rams_2020-pres.png

If it was up to me, I wouldn't use the gradients at all, but If this was what we actually got from the Rams I wouldn’t be nearly as disappointed in the uniforms. You can see that there is actually a theme here and it’s obvious what the goal of the design is. The bone uniform is dumb, but with your sleeve design I could live with it because the design makes sense within the context of what it seems like the logos were trying to do. It doesn’t have to be complicated, usually the most obvious and most simple solution is the best.