Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Looks like the NFL may be borrowing a page from the MLB. Padres have brown once a week or so. Mariners and Brewers have yellow/blue once a week or so. Maybe the idea is to have a little bit of everything and everyone will be happy. Or no one will be happy.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously have no knowledge of the matter but I would think all rules should be null and void here. I mean, the franchise moved cross country. It's isn't as if they decided not give the league notice. They relocated. I would think this is just the Rams choosing to rebrand at a later time. I'm sure if they wanted to, the NFL would have permitted it despite whatever "rules" would traditionally have prevented it.

I have a feeling this might be one of those situations where the owner just doesn't care. We yell and scream about the toilet seat collars... I'd be surprised if anyone thinks they actually look good, but some teams still stick with them. The answer is probably just that the owner or decision-makers simply don't care.  The Jaguars got an exemption from the 5-year rebrand rule, didn't they? I'd say the league's triumphant return to LA is at least as important as the Jaguars getting a new owner (which IIRC was the rationale). Kroenke probably doesn't think it's a priority.

8 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Looks like the NFL may be borrowing a page from the MLB. Padres have brown once a week or so. Mariners and Brewers have yellow/blue once a week or so. Maybe the idea is to have a little bit of everything and everyone will be happy. Or no one will be happy.

Yeah but all those MLB teams have had different color schemes while in one city.  The Rams had an LA scheme, and a STL scheme.  LA fans don't want the STL scheme.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I would love to hear any inside info as to why the NFL/Rams will not simply ditch the navy/gold in favor of the preferred royal/yellow? From what I'm hearing/reading its not a Padres brown type of thing where some love brown and others hate brown. This seems to be a pretty universal sentiment that royal/yellow is LAs color scheme.

I know there is the NFL rule on years before change and various merchandise needing to be pushed out the door before the new stuff come in but please, this is a billion dollar industry. If they wanted to do it it would be done. So, what is the real reason it's not being done? I can't figure it out.

The only thing that makes sense is an inability of their vendors to have royal and gold product in time.  The merch pipeline can take a while to clear.

I've been told that there may be obligations built into the contracts that prohibit the NFL from shortening the timeframe.  Which would maybe make sense, since they're not willing to waive the standard rules for what seems like a special case.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The only thing that makes sense is an inability of their vendors to have royal and gold product in time.  The merch pipeline can take a while to clear.

I've been told that there may be obligations built into the contracts that prohibit the NFL from shortening the timeframe.  Which would maybe make sense, since they're not willing to waive the standard rules for what seems like a special case.

Standard lead times are definitely a factor but these types of events happen enough to the point that vendor and suppliers basically have some extra capacity and the flexibility to expedite work due to unplanned events. The big vendors like nike and new era definitely have this capacity to make a late change for one team and would stand the most to gain, you may not get everything you want in terms of product variety but the incremental sales that you'd generate off of a complete LA royal/yellow relaunch this year would end up being a net positive.

My speculation is this came down to money, ego or apathy. Either the rams inquired and the buyout/penalty that they had to make the switch was deemed too complicated or not worth it or goodell was too butthurt over how kroenke strong-armed this whole deal through and made making a merch switch as difficult as possible for them.  The last possibility as others have suggest is that kroenke simply does not give a sh-it about merchandise sales. If you look at his management style he honestly has not shown much interest in his teams being successfully run. He's a real estate developer after all so that's where his sights are set with making the move. I also see him selling the team in the near future as cashing out is the only way to make this whole thing pay off financially.

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah but all those MLB teams have had different color schemes while in one city.  The Rams had an LA scheme, and a STL scheme.  LA fans don't want the STL scheme.

Yeah but they won a super bowl in St.Louis with the LA scheme. Some fans remember Warner and Faulk in royal..

45 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Standard lead times are definitely a factor but these types of events happen enough to the point that vendor and suppliers basically have some extra capacity and the flexibility to expedite work due to unplanned events. The big vendors like nike and new era definitely have this capacity to make a late change for one team and would stand the most to gain, you may not get everything you want in terms of product variety but the incremental sales that you'd generate off of a complete LA royal/yellow relaunch this year would end up being a net positive.

My speculation is this came down to money, ego or apathy. Either the rams inquired and the buyout/penalty that they had to make the switch was deemed too complicated or not worth it or goodell was too butthurt over how kroenke strong-armed this whole deal through and made making a merch switch as difficult as possible for them.

That does seem possible.  Goodell tried everything he could to force Stan to stay in St. Louis, extending their deadlines and forcing Kroenke into concessions before yielding to the inevitable.  I wouldn't put a little spite past him, forcing Kroenke to follow every letter of the League's rules. 

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That does seem possible.  Goodell tried everything he could to force Stan to stay in St. Louis, extending their deadlines and forcing Kroenke into concessions before yielding to the inevitable.  I wouldn't put a little spite past him, forcing Kroenke to follow every letter of the League's rules. 

thats all made up crap.

The nfl is more than happy a team is in LA and is using that new stadium as a media/business mother ship for its many purposes.

2 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

thats all made up crap.

The nfl is more than happy a team is in LA and is using that new stadium as a media/business mother ship for its many purposes.

Care to elaborate on your simplistic retort? The league has never needed a team in LA. 80% of revenue is driven via the tv contracts and LA market ratings are already on par with the other top markets. If anything having the rams in town is adding financial risk primarily to fox/cbs because they now won't be able to pick the 3 best games every sunday to broadcast due to the rams broadcasting requirement. Additionally it's been reported the league was running a parallel plan to build a stadium/facility on spec so they could essentially own the market and flip the rights to either the highest bidder via expansion or possibly lease to another franchise.

Kroenke blew this plan up and killed the league's leverage by forming a faction within the new money ownership, then pulling an Al Davis by initiating the move with an public willingness to endlessly litigate. At that point, goodell and the old guard owners only leverage was to extract as much $$$ out of the relocation fee and get some league facilities added on to the stadium project. They got embarrassed by stan. You don't think it's remotely possible that roger might be a bit spiteful that his grand plan for LA got sabotaged? I mean wealthy businessmen never let their egos get in the way and try to screw each other over right?

I never said this was a sure thing but it's certainly a plausible scenario that the league was not willing to do any favors to likely the biggest a-hole owner of the bunch.

It'll be interesting to see what the final outcome will be. If the Chargers relocate, will the league ensure that both clubs have distinctly different colors/look? How much will winning influence if changes are major or minor? Will the new branding be based strictly on owner preference or market research? Speculation is fun, except for waiting out the 3 years to see if predictions come true <_<

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

If the Chargers relocate, I imagine that they'll rebrand to having black and yellow as their main colors, with powder blue as their accent. This allows them to distinct themshelves from the Rams while staying true to their previous colors...

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Care to elaborate on your simplistic retort? The league has never needed a team in LA. 80% of revenue is driven via the tv contracts and LA market ratings are already on par with the other top markets. If anything having the rams in town is adding financial risk primarily to fox/cbs because they now won't be able to pick the 3 best games every sunday to broadcast due to the rams broadcasting requirement. Additionally it's been reported the league was running a parallel plan to build a stadium/facility on spec so they could essentially own the market and flip the rights to either the highest bidder via expansion or possibly lease to another franchise.

Kroenke blew this plan up and killed the league's leverage by forming a faction within the new money ownership, then pulling an Al Davis by initiating the move with an public willingness to endlessly litigate. At that point, goodell and the old guard owners only leverage was to extract as much $$$ out of the relocation fee and get some league facilities added on to the stadium project. They got embarrassed by stan. You don't think it's remotely possible that roger might be a bit spiteful that his grand plan for LA got sabotaged? I mean wealthy businessmen never let their egos get in the way and try to screw each other over right?

I never said this was a sure thing but it's certainly a plausible scenario that the league was not willing to do any favors to likely the biggest a-hole owner of the bunch.

all the owners work together. Groenke did nothing independently.The NFL is one unit and if you want in you do what they want.

the Rams move from St Louis was approved on the same day the move was approved from Cleveland to LA.

thats not happenstance. It means they know what they are doing well in advance of telling the public. That means years in advance.

i'm not going in circles about it. Thats my view and I'm leaving it alone from here.

the league will put NFL network offices and sets in there. They didnt have a problem with the move from day one.

..and day one was years ago when you had no idea it was even going to happen.

Archived