Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

8 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, the gradient numbers could’ve been done pretty tastefully by just going with something like this:

spacer.png

Both of those (IMO) have a strong LA/SoCal vibe too...wish they went with them. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, the gradient numbers could’ve been done pretty tastefully by just going with something like this:

spacer.png

These would've been nice. Not perfect, you never really would be smack-dab perfect with gradients involved, but this is a hell of a lot better-looking then the gradient numbers we actually got. Why do the numbers need a goddamned horn motif in them? We get it, you're the Rams. You have the helmet horns already, you don't need to slap horns everywhere you can just because.

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I don't think this set can ever look good with the split horn. That's by far the worst part about this set. Honestly I can't name one good thing about this set.

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Really surprised (or maybe just disappointed) by how well received the new helmet horns are. In my mind it is the most egregious mistake with the new uniforms, other than the nametags

1 hour ago, Fjm said:

I’m with you, the segmented horns are stupid. Why do they have to be cut into 2 pieces?  It makes no sense and doesn’t make it look 3D if that is what they were attempting. 

Yea, the split horn might be the most disappointing part for me. I don’t even think I would be upset if they didn’t curl the horn, as long as it was still one shape. The way it’s designed right now, I just can’t perceive it as one continuous horn. I totally understand what they were going for with the 3D effect, but I think there were better ways to do it.

50 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think they hit a home run on the bone replicas, which are one of the weird few times (can't think of others) where the replica version is superior to the authentic.

It was one of your posts where you shared the retail version, and I think this is perfect for the home fan:

ff_3687781-eaedf5790ff9646d452ealt1_full

The coloring looks perfect to pair with jeans or anything else and has more life than a traditional white road jersey. I think the on-field product is dubious, but as streetwear, this looks really nice to me. I'm not a Rams fan or close to it, but I'd consider buying one of these as a fashion jersey. It's really nice.

It definitely does look better in this version -- not that that says all that much -- but it makes the treatment of the TV numbers even more egregious since they're not lacking for room here.

IUe6Hvh.png

53 minutes ago, kimball said:

After sitting on this for a few days and reading a number of comments here. Here's a little bit more in depth take on the new look and reaction.

• For everyone saying this is easily the worst NFL uniform ever ... um ... do you not remember the look the Bucs had before switching back to the SB-look? Hell, I'm more annoyed by the Titans and Falcons new looks than this one. Oh, and the Jags' two tone helmet is worse than what the Rams gave us.

I personally think they are on par with the Bucs for worst ever. 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

After sitting on this for a few days and reading a number of comments here. Here's a little bit more in depth take on the new look and reaction.

• For everyone saying this is easily the worst NFL uniform ever ... um ... do you not remember the look the Bucs had before switching back to the SB-look? Hell, I'm more annoyed by the Titans and Falcons new looks than this one. Oh, and the Jags' two tone helmet is worse than what the Rams gave us.

The Bucs, Titans, Falcons and Jags are all A:) far younger expansion franchises and B:) never had helmets that transcended the team and became among the most iconic in the sport. The Rams were. I'd think screwing with an iconic element that's been in place longer than most all of us have even been ALIVE just to be "hip" and "trendy" is a pretty :censored:ing terrible idea.

This isn't like those teams. This is like if the Browns decided to completely redesign their helmets just because they felt like redesigning the helmets. Do you know how badly that would go? Franchises like the Browns and Rams shouldn't :censored: too much with their iconic brand elements. The Rams completely screwed up their iconic brand element and people are rightfully raking them over the coals for it.

If the Habs one day dropped their logo in favor of something else, I'm pretty sure the city would lynch Molson for it. If the Yankees changed their brand, I'm damn sure New Yorkers would absolutely eviscerate the person responsible. Why is the Rams dumping the most iconic and enduring element of the brand okay, one that's been here, untouched, for over a century?

Change for the sake of change is not how you should rebrand a team like the Rams. When the fans are making designs that are more universally-beloved amongst the fanbase then the ones you, the team, have put out, that's a problem.

I’m finding myself less confused and upset about how the Rams, Falcons, Clippers (and previous Iteration of Bucs and Browns) uniforms and logos could be executed so poorly. I’m more concerned as to how these organizations and ownership are refusing to admit there was a mistake and ignore the massive backlash that is churning. Core fans are disillusioned with the direction they take and observers and media help to make the teams a somewhat running joke through their lack of execution. There are fans who will buy anything the team puts out, so there is a buck to be made, but it’s another glaring example of how the true fans and public are not considered an essential determinate in the team/owner’s decision making process. 

I wish the Rams would learn something from the 49ers or Leeds on this. Scrap and return to a classic look, and start again. There’s a pleasant update out there that will refresh the look AND make the fans happy. 

2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

There are PLENTY of people online that like “that bone design”.

So now that you have shown me that some people actually do like that bone design, I will amend my original post from "I can't imagine anyone liking that bone design" to "I can't imagine why anyone would like that bone design". I really can't.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm not trying to :censored: on the work that designer did, it is fantastic work but I have a few problems with THAT being universally loved in comparison to what they did. The problem is, when its a concept we have WAAAAY lower standards. 

For example:

- That front facing ram is a mess, the horns don't even read as horns in the full color version. That is not a better logo than either option the rams have.

- The secondary is uninspired and there isn't a single example of something that basic being a commonly used secondary. Adds very little to the concept.

- The primary is nice but the horns take up way too much space, the balance is off, the color balance is skewed with all the yellow to the left and all the white to the right. The random shapes that make up the face are unsightly and the mouth looks like a stylized d*ck.

-There are 8 variants of some letters in the Inglewood font. Can you IMAGINE the crap Nike and the Rams would have received if they tried to pull that crap?!

- The jerseys are really nice, but they are way too similar to throwback designs. Like it or not that seldom happens in this modern retail focused era of sports branding.

This is a GREAT concept, it takes out a lot of the stupid crap the Rams did and I prefer nearly everything about it to its counterparts (especially with some minor tweaks to logos). But, we are hyper critical of what actually gets released in a way that nobody is for concepts. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

2 hours ago, kimball said:

• For a team that's been around for nearly 75 years ... yeah ... this is definitely a departure from a classic look, especially with the helmet horns. But, with that said, I'm "okay" with the new helmet. I like it. I get it. It stays true to the blue and gold, the shape of a horn, yet gives it a LA vibe with the tie-in to a wave.
  • The jersey on the other hand is a different story, it's just over designed and especially over thought. I feels like an idea wall that people forgot to narrow down before finalizing the project. The patches, mismatching numbers, different sleeve designs and bone color all together is just too much. I love the colors, I love the blue jersey options and I'm okay with a bone color alternate, but it's way too gimmicky.
  • I do want a white jersey. For being a LA/Southern California team the way blue and gold pop off a white jersey seems like a go to. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two jerseys they're unveiling in the next couple of years will be one?
  • The number font is kiiiiiinda growing on me? But, it is still a bit too much MS Paint-ish for me. But, I guess it makes sense with the roundness tying back to the horn/wave design?
  • Blue/Blue/Gold is the best of the set options.
  • Again, this isn't the worst design ever, it's just over designed and I bet within five years there will be some significant tweaks to the look. It's gimmicky like the Falcons new look which I don't like either.

You're right, it's the 4th worst uniform ever.

4 minutes ago, Froob said:

Is bone even on the home jersey? Should have been an alt if it was really necessary.

It's tough to have a bone alt when you're planning for yellow and black alternates. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

If teams insist on doing gradients, can they at least realize the only way to do it tastefully is to gradient between shades, not different colors.

these are the perfect way to do gradient numbers. I love the yellow on blue

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I think what's confounding me about "bone" is that the color isn't even used in their branding package really. Maybe that's why they wanted to also use yellow AND white there and make the thing look like a failed attempt at mixing paint. It's strange to me to roll out a whole new brand, but half of your uniforms don't fit in with it.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think what's confounding me about "bone" is that the color isn't even used in their branding package really. Maybe that's why they wanted to also use yellow AND white there and make the thing look like a failed attempt at mixing paint. It's strange to me to roll out a whole new brand, but half of your uniforms don't fit in with it.

I just had a realization yesterday that my fancy cotton bedsheets are called sand which is essentially the same color as bone. Never in my wildest dreams did I think as a grown adult I would be sleeping in official nfl colored sheets again but here we are...strage times indeed.

This was so easy Rams, you had the best uniforms in the NFL from 73' to 99', even better than the Chargers, but no listening to the fans at all, nope.. gotta go with what they think is trendy, forward, whatever other BS the front office can come up with, all you had to do was brighten the colors of the 73' to 99' unis., make the helmet match the jersey, done.

I'd much rather wear this:

ff_3687781-eaedf5790ff9646d452ealt1_full

Than this:

OIP.oSDgNQyazdZZSVNwfRUMvQHaHa?pid=Api&d

For the retail audience, I think they did the right thing. The old road shirt was nice on the field, but kind of corny off of it. The new shirt will work much better as street wear.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived