Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

I used to not buy the idea that teams designed uniforms with the intention of changing them again in 5 years (and to be honest, I still can’t completely believe it). However, seeing the Browns and Bucs basically go back to their previous looks definitely brought some credence to that theory.

Still, the idealist in me can’t help but believe that designing a lasting, iconic uniform from the get-go is better not only for the brand, but financially, as well. Sure, designing a wildly different uniform might get you a spike in sales at first, but given the (seeming) near-unanimous opinion that designs like the 2014 Bucs and 2015 Browns weren’t that great, I’d have to think that their newer designs would have gained more sales in the long-term had they had them from the beginning.

Of course, I have no stats of any kind to back this up, this just comes from my belief that designing an iconic uniform from the start is best for everyone involved.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

Not sure if there is anything that is timeless anymore when it comes to these sorts of things.  As a Chargers fan, it is gratifying to see the Rams crap the bed with their new logos and uniforms, though.

I wonder if the decision to go to Royal Blue was made late in the process.  The seats at Kroenke's stadium are Navy Blue.  Seems like a lost opportunity for the Rams to mark their territory.

spacer.png

How many times does it need to be said that seat colors mean nothing, especially since you know someone should be filling them and not like you you see the seats often if at all during the games.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

How many times does it need to be said that seat colors mean nothing, especially since you know someone should be filling them and not like you you see the seats often if at all during the games.

I'm not sure I agree.

They spent a lot of time and money to customize their helmet and jersey colors, and the same devotion to detail could have been spent on the most colorful part of their multi-billion dollar stadium.

But I'm not a Rams fan, so whatever.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

13 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I used to not buy the idea that teams designed uniforms with the intention of changing them again in 5 years (and to be honest, I still can’t completely believe it). However, seeing the Browns and Bucs basically go back to their previous looks definitely brought some credence to that theory.

Still, the idealist in me can’t help but believe that designing a lasting, iconic uniform from the get-go is better not only for the brand, but financially, as well. Sure, designing a wildly different uniform might get you a spike in sales at first, but given the (seeming) near-unanimous opinion that designs like the 2014 Bucs and 2015 Browns weren’t that great, I’d have to think that their newer designs would have gained more sales in the long-term had they had them from the beginning.

Of course, I have no stats of any kind to back this up, this just comes from my belief that designing an iconic uniform from the start is best for everyone involved.

I think it's less of a deliberate plan and more of these teams taking the chance because they can sell new jerseys and in the long run they can always go back to the well liked look. I think Haslam genuinely thought he could make the team his own with a new look, but the continued incompetence of the team's management made that impossible, even if the new design was well-done/well liked.

46 minutes ago, doctorpeligro said:

I'm not sure I agree.

They spent a lot of time and money to customize their helmet and jersey colors, and the same devotion to detail could have been spent on the most colorful part of their multi-billion dollar stadium.

Navy is more neutral and less jarring than royal blue. It’s more appealing than and better especially Since the stadium won’t be used by just the Rams, and chargers, but also the super bowl, college bowl games, and even soccer games, and concerts and other events. Navy was the better choice.

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

Not to be too much of a curmudgeon (because I like the look overall and intend to purchase a Powder Blue #33 Derwin James Jr. jersey), but I agree with Paul Lukas that some of the Chargers' Powder Blue elements look a little "lightweight."

I used a darker Navy Blue (Pantone 296 C) for the helmet numbers and as a trim color for the bolts, and I think it looks a little better.

spacer.png 

Using Navy to trim the bolts would have probably required them to use a different logo as the primary logo, maybe a modernized version of the horse shield.  With Navy or without Navy, it's a good looking uniform.

I personally prefer the powder-heavy look, the navy doesn't really strengthen anything to me. It's definitely not horrible like you said, but I think that it'd be similar to the Dolphins' set with navy trim from a few years back: another set that wasn't terrible by any means, but the removal of dark trim enhanced the entire look a ton and allowed for the beauty of the bright colors to just speak for themselves.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

I'm not sure I agree.

There are far more "big four" stadiums and arenas with "mismatching" seats than you would think. Seat colour means very little. 

25 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Men's Nike Bone Los Angeles Rams Sideline Early Season Performance Polo

Bone does look good on the sideline apparel and works with the colors. Still shouldnt be the primary road though.

See, I like this shirt (the shirt...the logo is still butt). 

Maybe a bone road look could work, but the design they went with...with bone, white, and yellow/gold touching...just doesn't do it for me. 

24 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Bone does look good on the sideline apparel and works with the colors. Still shouldnt be the primary road though.

That does look good, but it also looks like one of those templated polos available for every team, so you can wear your Vikings polo to the office on casual Friday.

38 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

That does look good, but it also looks like one of those templated polos available for every team, so you can wear your Vikings polo to the office on casual Friday.

Well yes, it is. It's the sideline collection. Just showing that the colors work together, even though it shouldnt be on the uniform.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

28 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Well yes, it is. It's the sideline collection. Just showing that the colors work together, even though it shouldnt be on the uniform.

I’m wasn’t disagreeing with you. I was just trying to build on your point that it’s a good neutral color for fan gear

20 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The throwbacks were garish?? Have you seen the uniforms they just unveiled, those shades of color are brighter than anything else they've ever worn. Their road uniform is literally mostly consisted of yellow, white, and off white. That is garish. 

Garish under artificial lights in the sense of the blue looking washed out, the yellow mustard colored, and the mismatched helmet color on top of everything.

27 minutes ago, colortv said:

Garish under artificial lights in the sense of the blue looking washed out, the yellow mustard colored, and the mismatched helmet on top of everything/

ap_seahawks_rams_football_85329344.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

...this is what you'd call "garish"? This looks leagues better than the overdesigned garbage they just puked out. Literally all they had to do was change the helmet to match the jersey color-wise and they'd be an incredibly solid-looking team. Simple is often effective in design.

And, most importantly, they separate the yellow and white, which makes it a thousand times easier to read at a glance or at distance. There's not a single instance of white-on-yellow on this entire set, which is a pretty important element for readability.

spacer.png

This is trash. The colors are good, but the rest of it? Monocolor, white touching bright yellow (which you'll know is a bad combo if you've taken art class for a single year), gradient numbers, stupid little horn designs in said gradient numbers, messing with the most iconic helmet in football, the hilariously blatant name patch that's basically begging to be used to slap an ad onto jerseys. It's peak Nikespeak design; all about the marketing spiel and how it can be spun to be all fluffy.

How the hell are you going to be seeing that yellow stripe on the white jersey when you're further up in the seats? I wonder why they didn't gradient the numbers on that bone jersey, probably for readability concerns, and STILL somehow thought that having that yellow pants stripe was going to read perfectly fine. Either nobody thought "hm, this pant stripe might get lost amongst a sea of white" or they thought it somehow looked good.

Literally the only thing this jersey really gets is the colors. Everything else is basically a downgrade. And I wasn't even the biggest fan of the STL-era uniforms, but they still somehow look less trashy then these. This is a team with a massive legacy and an iconic, historic image. They should not look like a goddamned college team.

4 hours ago, _J_ said:

I really like the bone color. I’m glad the Rams are taking ownership. That’s why it’s a kick in the teeth they keep doing things to make me not like it.

File this under things that should be a slam dunk with this rebrand that aren’t. Why use that terrible version of the LA logo when the primary with the blue outline exists? It’s the same with the road jersey. Just make a modern bone version of the classic road. I’m dying on this hill.

1 minute ago, JLJ said:

I really like the bone color. I’m glad the Rams are taking ownership. That’s why it’s a kick in the teeth they keep doing things to make me not like it.

File this under things that should be a slam dunk with this rebrand that aren’t. Why use that terrible version of the LA logo when the primary with the blue outline exists? It’s the same with the road jersey. Just make a modern bone version of the classic road. I’m dying on this hill.

Yup, so much this.

I keep looking at the away jersey and the more I like it. Cant look past the patch or the sleeve treatment, when a recolored classic road(bone for white) would have been good. Heck, even a bone transplant of the home would be okay.

Hoping it sticks around as an alt whenever the rams return to the thriwbacks.

5qWs8RS.png

4 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Navy> Royal for the helmets. I don't care about the "mismatch," it balances well and just looks GOOD.

I feel bad about this because you were just in my amen corner on my post, but absolutely not. That’s nostalgia or Stockholm syndrome talking. Its never looked good, and the undisputed champ of this new look is the matching helmet.

1 minute ago, JLJ said:

I feel bad about this because you were just in my amen corner on my post, but absolutely not. That’s nostalgia or Stockholm syndrome talking. Its never looked good, and the undisputed champ of this new look is the matching helmet.

I will admit that I am likely to change my mind on this once I see it on field. For now, I'm sticking to it but am fully aware that it could change based on seeing the new ones in action.

(That said, I do really like the new helmets.)

5qWs8RS.png

36 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

ap_seahawks_rams_football_85329344.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

...this is what you'd call "garish"? This looks leagues better than the overdesigned garbage they just puked out. Literally all they had to do was change the helmet to match the jersey color-wise and they'd be an incredibly solid-looking team. Simple is often effective in design.

And, most importantly, they separate the yellow and white, which makes it a thousand times easier to read at a glance or at distance. There's not a single instance of white-on-yellow on this entire set, which is a pretty important element for readability.

spacer.png

This is trash. The colors are good, but the rest of it? Monocolor, white touching bright yellow (which you'll know is a bad combo if you've taken art class for a single year), gradient numbers, stupid little horn designs in said gradient numbers, messing with the most iconic helmet in football, the hilariously blatant name patch that's basically begging to be used to slap an ad onto jerseys. It's peak Nikespeak design; all about the marketing spiel and how it can be spun to be all fluffy.

How the hell are you going to be seeing that yellow stripe on the white jersey when you're further up in the seats? I wonder why they didn't gradient the numbers on that bone jersey, probably for readability concerns, and STILL somehow thought that having that yellow pants stripe was going to read perfectly fine. Either nobody thought "hm, this pant stripe might get lost amongst a sea of white" or they thought it somehow looked good.

Literally the only thing this jersey really gets is the colors. Everything else is basically a downgrade. And I wasn't even the biggest fan of the STL-era uniforms, but they still somehow look less trashy then these. This is a team with a massive legacy and an iconic, historic image. They should not look like a goddamned college team.

It's all a matter of opinion, a professional firm designed these.

Please stop with the bolding/underlining/italicizing. It's obnoxious and annoying and does nothing to add to the actual substance of your posts. Or switch to decaf, whatever works.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, ramsker said:

They came close to the correct colors. To me, they are much to bright, especially the yellow. I feel like it's a Lakers' Gold Pt. 2.

Seems like that's Nike style. Highlighter bold and bright colors to make you notice them. I find it off-putting. 

spacer.png

But, here’s that design/fashion thing again — the current trend with a lot of things that are yellow is to make them brighter and lighter. And five, ten, or fifteen years from now that cycle might have changed again (and again and again). It’s easy to blame Nike (and it’s fine not liking a trend or color choice). But I think stuff like this is always going to happen in design over time, irregardless of who is actually doing the design.

Archived