Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

9 minutes ago, ramsker said:

It seems like Colorado State paints theirs on. The only reason I can think of would be they want the option to change the colors of the horns when wearing throwbacks. 

spacer.png

I don't know if they are painted...but it's possible...

This dude's horns are a completely different shape:

Colorado State Rams quarterback K.J. Carta-Samuels (1) - ESPN 98.1 ...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dont care said:

But why couldn’t they do the same with the old horn, in fact they did, the old horn was in the helmet, shoulders, wordmark, and logo of the last set.

There was a horn in all of those things, but it was applied quite differently everywhere. This uses the ridge/break of the horn to tie it all together.

57 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Agreed.  They were the worst part in what was otherwise a pile of crap. Everything about that was a downgrade but the numbers still all the focus.

Remove the alarm clock numbers and I genuinely don't see what the problem is. The major design element of that set was the shoulder yoke and that looked fine. The brighter shade of red looked vibrant on the field. The color balance was better than the Super Bowl uniforms, especially with the decision to showcase pewter on the jerseys. The only complaint I had with those uniforms outside of the alarm clock numbers was the mismatched sleeve logos.

I still think they'd be better off demoting red to a tertiary color and focusing on pewter and orange. But I'm just not seeing how anything other than the alarm clock numbers was offensively bad with the last set. Especially compared to actual disasters like the Rams' new look.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't disagree with your point in general, but I'm not really sure what that has to do with what I posted. I was just suggesting that, in a uniform set with so many flaws, it stands to reason that the least disappointing feature might look good compared to the most disappointing ones. I'm not invalidating anybody else's viewpoint or speaking for a whole. This was my experience with this uniform set: I was so distracted by the terrible uniforms that I gave the mediocre helmet a pass. 

The first section was dedicated to your post. The notion that someone other than yourself only liked something you aren’t fond of because of xyz, based only on your own experience.  

I simply stated it’s possible to like something just because. For example, I like the helmet a lot and that has nothing to do with the uniforms. Totally different experience because I’m a different person.

1 hour ago, El Scorcho said:

There was a horn in all of those things, but it was applied quite differently everywhere. This uses the ridge/break of the horn to tie it all together.

This is a nice thought but the bone uniform is not applied the same in no way

45 minutes ago, JLJ said:

The first section was dedicated to your post. The notion that someone other than yourself only liked something you aren’t fond of because of xyz, based only on your own experience.  

I simply stated it’s possible to like something just because. For example, I like the helmet a lot and that has nothing to do with the uniforms. Totally different experience because I’m a different person.

Sure. But it should also be possible to express an opinion in the form of a theory without someone else reading it like an absolutism.

So yes, I suggested that maybe the helmets were receiving less criticism because they're not as bad as the uniforms -- the lesser-of-evils theory, similar to what others indicated may have happened before with the Jaguars and Buccaneers uniforms.

But nothing I wrote implied that someone couldn't like helmets on their own merits. I didn't intentionally exclude the notion that someone could be allowed to think these are the greatest protective head coverings in the history of tackle sports. You can like what you want for whatever reason you want. No theory applies to everybody universally. That's implied and shouldn't need to be stated. 

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Remove the alarm clock numbers and I genuinely don't see what the problem is. The major design element of that set was the shoulder yoke and that looked fine. The brighter shade of red looked vibrant on the field. The color balance was better than the Super Bowl uniforms, especially with the decision to showcase pewter on the jerseys. The only complaint I had with those uniforms outside of the alarm clock numbers was the mismatched sleeve logos.

I still think they'd be better off demoting red to a tertiary color and focusing on pewter and orange. But I'm just not seeing how anything other than the alarm clock numbers was offensively bad with the last set. Especially compared to actual disasters like the Rams' new look.

While I agree that the 2013 look wasn’t the total disaster that many here make it out to be, the problem was that the Super Bowl look was still better. They could get a normal number font (I actually think the 2013-18 Jaguars font would’ve worked well for that design) and it would look fine, middle of the pack in the league. Or they could go back to their Super Bowl winning set, which IMO is one of the best uniforms in all of football. Thankfully, they chose the second option ;)

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I agree. I actually thought that set -- minus the alarm clock numbers and the oversized helmet logo -- was pretty decent. I particularly liked how it brought orange more into prominence after so many years as a tertiary color with the Super Bowl set.

And I'll say it again: With a few tweaks, the Jaguars 2013 uniforms could be great -- particularly the home set. Give that set a normal helmet, and it's light years better than the weird 2009 jerseys, which could just as easily have been Panthers uniforms with a different shade of blue. The team's current set is an extreme overcorrection. 

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Well, as with everything else, it is all personal preference. For myself, there's a whole list of issues with that thankfully gone uniform, and it only starts with the horrible number font. There's also the oversized logo, the chrome mask, shoulder yokes rarely look fine to me, you mentioned the mismatched sleeves, there was the chunky pants decorations, and the weird pewter socks. I also dislike the heavy-metal terminator skull logo, and that's unfortunately sticking around.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, as with everything else, it is all personal preference. For myself, there's a whole list of issues with that thankfully gone uniform, and it only starts with the horrible number font. There's also the oversized logo, the chrome mask, shoulder yokes rarely look fine to me, you mentioned the mismatched sleeves, there was the chunky pants decorations, and the weird pewter socks. I also dislike the heavy-metal terminator skull logo, and that's unfortunately sticking around.

I’d tend to agree.  And I like shoulder yokes.

The prior Bucs set had a whole lot wrong with it.  The numbers were uniquely awful, to be sure, but that doesn’t excuse all those regularly-awful elements.

For one thing, I'd need to see a good photoshop of those uniforms with a professional number font before saying for sure, but I'm fairly certain that while the font was the worst thing about them, it was hardly the only thing.

like yokes (when I like them), but just didn't like it in pewter.  Not all colors are conducive to the look, and it just didn't work for me.  I also didn't like how much orange was in there.  I haven't seen any combo of orange and pewter that I've liked, so I think that the amount that the new unis have is just about right - certainly no more.

Then there's that garbage-ass wordmark sleeve and the helmet debacle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The old Bucs uniforms had many problems other than the alarm clock numbers. I actually think the chrome face mask might have been my "favorite" element. 

-enormous helmet logo.

-Too much pewter that didn't look pewter, because nike. I don't mind yokes, but they didn't look good here.

-forced pointless orange shoulder slits.

-mismatched sleeve logos.

-logo downgrade.

-changing the red.

-weird pants stripes.

The Jags on the other hand I do not think were that bad besides the helmet. The only thing I truly disliked from the neck down were the pants stripes (and tendency to go mono). The random gradient line things on the shoulders were pretty pointless as well but relatively harmless and sometimes not noticeable to the naked eye. 

The current Jags are so close to being good. But removing gold, and neutering the teal kills them, especially on the white jersey. Not sure how you can get gold in there without a double outline (which might not be too terrible, but probably would look out of place given the rest of the uniform) but the black jerseys should have teal outlines on the numbers and the white should have teal numbers with black outlines. They also need pants stripes. The term practice jersey gets thrown around a lot here but they truly look like practice jerseys, especially the whites.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

The random gradient line things on the shoulders were pretty pointless as well but relatively harmless and sometimes not noticeable to the naked eye. 

That they were so unnoticeable is an added indictment against them. Why are they there when they are so unnoticeable? It's just another thing thrown into that uniform "because it could be".

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, colortv said:

EYGpmNcUwAEQUbz?format=jpg&name=medium

It's like the dye they used in the numbers has faded away because it's a crappy dye. The yellow streaking down the legs brings to mind another metaphor.

It's where I sit.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:43 AM, L10nheart404 said:

I still can get over how gorgeous the Rams' helmets are. Regardless of your feelings on the uniforms , I think this beauty Is a home run...EX6CGjIUEAAvEsF.jpg

The colors are fine, but the horns are far from fine. All I can see is goat horns and crescent moons. While the uniforms turned out to be "meh" the one thing that should not have been altered was the helmet other than the shade of blue. I'll never understand why Nike and the Rams decided to go with segmented horns. I don't know which is worse, the segmented horns or the gradient numbers on the home jersey.

Based on that image, it's one decal, that is transparent where the segments are.  I thought it was maybe multiple decals.  It looks bad where the transparent part goes over the vent hole, and the front yellow part seems not to have been applied very well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived