Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 5/29/2020 at 11:56 PM, j'villejags said:

CDjhdoZ.png

They also seem to have dabbled with red, midnight green, neon yellow, and teal. So bone isn’t that bad in comparison.

Excellent!

2 hours ago, Krz said:

They also seem to have dabbled with red, midnight green, neon yellow, and teal. So bone isn’t that bad in comparison.

Unless that's an attempt to show what they have tried to do with/for other teams? I hadn't noticed the color swatches of other teams to the right.

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Unless that's an attempt to show what they have tried to do with/for other teams? I hadn't noticed the color swatches of other teams to the right.

Yeah, probably if this is the Nike design department. What teams would those be though? Maybe Eagles or Seahawks for the green and yellow and Bills for the red and blue on the bottom? They all look pretty bad though.

Excellent!

19 hours ago, Krz said:

Yeah, probably if this is the Nike design department. What teams would those be though? Maybe Eagles or Seahawks for the green and yellow and Bills for the red and blue on the bottom? They all look pretty bad though.

They might not be real examples at all. They could just be used to illustrate the design process in general and how certain imagery can inspire color and design choices. For all we know, this picture was taken at the very start of a design process that included people who had never been through it before.

The Rams' beat writers for The Athletic had a podcast about the uniform release. They mentioned that they got the sense that they are listening to fans reaction to the new uniforms and that will influence what they do going forward. They said with some confidence that they doubt the gradients will last, even saying they may last only 1 or 2 years. Maybe a numeral revision à la the Titans would be allowable within the NFL rules? My guess would be that the next two they put out will be much more traditional and could really just overtake the ones they put out this year. 

2 hours ago, ramsker said:

The Rams' beat writers for The Athletic had a podcast about the uniform release. They mentioned that they got the sense that they are listening to fans reaction to the new uniforms and that will influence what they do going forward. They said with some confidence that they doubt the gradients will last, even saying they may last only 1 or 2 years. Maybe a numeral revision à la the Titans would be allowable within the NFL rules? My guess would be that the next two they put out will be much more traditional and could really just overtake the ones they put out this year. 

The Titans was just thickening, right?  Did they even have to change it for the retail jerseys?  I don't think there's much - if anything - the Rams can do if they're having second thoughts now.  I'm struggling to think of any other number "adjustments" in the past 15 or so years.  The last ones I can think of at all are the 2000 STL Rams (on-field change only), '97 Jaguars (changed during the preseason... not sure what happened with the replicas) and the mid-late '90s 49ers (just a change in block styles due to manufacturer change - before things were standardized) (can't say what year because the Gridiron Database uses #11 for some dumb reason.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Titans was just thickening, right?  Did they even have to change it for the retail jerseys?  I don't think there's much - if anything - the Rams can do if they're having second thoughts now.  I'm struggling to think of any other number "adjustments" in the past 15 or so years.  The last ones I can think of at all are the 2000 STL Rams (on-field change only), '97 Jaguars (changed during the preseason... not sure what happened with the replicas) and the mid-late '90s 49ers (just a change in block styles due to manufacturer change - before things were standardized) (can't say what year because the Gridiron Database uses #11 for some dumb reason.)

Yup, just a slight thickening that I have yet to see translated to fan replicas-

usa_today_13799549.5.jpg

ff_3475507-ad19cd315d6d610869acalt1_full

Funnily enough, a lot of the alixpress knockoffs emulate this change a bit more closely (aside from the general wonkiness of it)-

m_5e8b2eca4fd23a3f8c1da2a3.jpeg

Switching back on topic...changing from a gradient fill to a solid fill is a bit more of a noticeable change, but the NFL seems to be trending more relaxed rules in regards to uniforms, so who knows? 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, henburg said:

Switching back on topic...changing from a gradient fill to a solid fill is a bit more of a noticeable change, but the NFL seems to be trending more relaxed rules in regards to uniforms, so who knows? 

Relaxed rules when it comes to things like socks and alts, but is there any evidence of relaxed rules when it comes to noticeable jersey modifications?  I doubt they'd allow anything that 1) wasn't for legitimate legibility reasons, and 2) required the replicas, shirsies, and other merch to be modified to match.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Relaxed rules when it comes to things like socks and alts, but is there any evidence of relaxed rules when it comes to noticeable jersey modifications?  I doubt they'd allow anything that 1) wasn't for legitimate legibility reasons, and 2) required the replicas, shirsies, and other merch to be modified to match.

They did it for the Dolphins though. They completely ditched the navy highlights after two or three years, and that was purely for aesthetic reasons. 

25 minutes ago, IceCap said:

They did it for the Dolphins though. They completely ditched the navy highlights after two or three years, and that was purely for aesthetic reasons. 

Was it just two or three?  I thought the Dolphins' change came after five?  I could be wrong.

Edit - According to Gridiron Database the Dolphins got their new toothpaste-y uniform with the dark blue trim in 2013, then dropped the darker blue for the 2018 season, so seems like it was 5 years.  Quick five, but five.

Yeah the Dolphins wore the navy highlights for five seasons...2013-17. The changes in 2018 were the same year the Jags changed (after five years). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

43 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah the Dolphins wore the navy highlights for five seasons...2013-17. The changes in 2018 were the same year the Jags changed (after five years). 

The Dolphins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Browns all changed their first Nike-era uniforms at the soonest possible moment.  I'd be surprised if the Titans and Rams don't do the same. Probably the Falcons could after five, but a bit less likely as their owner seems pretty stubborn about their uniforms.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Dolphins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Browns all changed their first Nike-era uniforms at the soonest possible moment.  I'd be surprised if the Titans and Rams don't do the same. Probably the Falcons could after five, but a bit less likely as their owner seems pretty stubborn about their uniforms.

Not to ackshually you, but the Bucs wore the alarm clocks for six seasons.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Has there any sort of history of a team releasing a new uniform multiple years in a row? I really think that it was too late to make any changes to the set that they put out after the logo backlash, but they were able to work a deal out with the NFL to allow them to release new ones over the next few years. I think that is why there was such a delay. 

48 minutes ago, ramsker said:

Has there any sort of history of a team releasing a new uniform multiple years in a row? I really think that it was too late to make any changes to the set that they put out after the logo backlash, but they were able to work a deal out with the NFL to allow them to release new ones over the next few years. I think that is why there was such a delay. 

Considering the NFL wasn't going to even allow them to switch full time to the throwbacks without holding them to the 5-year things, I'd say there's zero room for negotiating that policy.

The only thing that might get for the owners to make an exception is if the new gear was dead last in sales, and therefore bringing everyone else down.  New gear always sells at first, so there's zero chance of that happening.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Considering the NFL wasn't going to even allow them to switch full time to the throwbacks without holding them to the 5-year things, I'd say there's zero room for negotiating that policy.

The only thing that might get for the owners to make an exception is if the new gear was dead last in sales, and therefore bringing everyone else down.  New gear always sells at first, so there's zero chance of that happening.

They did budge a little on the throwbacks.

https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/38698/the-rams-will-go-throwbacks-full-time-this-season

I'm curious how the 5-year rule will work for these two jerseys the next couple of years. Do they all have their own 5-year clock? 

1 hour ago, ramsker said:

The Patriots had new uniforms in 1993, 1994, and 1995. I'm guessing this was before the NFL put in its 5-year rule on uniform changes.

It's not a good sign that teams like the Browns and Jaguars have consistently made changes every 5-6 years since then.

I'm waiting for the new Rams and Falcons uniforms in 2025, personally...

Archived