Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bluefalcon said:

The Patriots had new uniforms in 1993, 1994, and 1995. I'm guessing this was before the NFL put in its 5-year rule on uniform changes.

I think that was the early days of "Proline", which was probably the first step toward getting us to where we are now.  The Eagles also made changes each year when they came out with their first midnight green set in '96.  Most of the changes weren't as significant as the Patriot's, but they did get rid of the sleeve stripes and replace with a logo after the first season, which could be thought of as significant.

4021-3578942Fr.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think that was the early days of "Proline", which was probably the first step toward getting us to where we are now.  The Eagles also made changes each year when they came out with their first midnight green set in '96.  Most of the changes weren't as significant as the Patriot's, but they did get rid of the sleeve stripes and replace with a logo after the first season, which could be thought of as significant.

4021-3578942Fr.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Also looks like the shoulder numbers were originally silver. That’s interesting. That makes me think they initially planned to have silver be a bigger part of that identity than what it ended up becoming. 

...or are they green, and that’s just the lighting?

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Also looks like the shoulder numbers were originally silver. That’s interesting. That makes me think they initially planned to have silver be a bigger part of that identity than what it ended up becoming. 

...or are they green, and that’s just the lighting?

Pretty sure its green, the one on the players left shoulder appears darker.

5 hours ago, ramsker said:

Has there any sort of history of a team releasing a new uniform multiple years in a row? I really think that it was too late to make any changes to the set that they put out after the logo backlash, but they were able to work a deal out with the NFL to allow them to release new ones over the next few years. I think that is why there was such a delay. 

Since the league wide contracts no

I haven't been on this board in quite a while due to work so I missed the :censored: show when the Rams unveiled and I'm too lazy to scroll through 100 pages to see all the comments but all I can say is the following...

1. The fact that the Chargers actually beat everyone at something is amazing although I hate it because I want the team to fail and move to St. Louis.

2. I can't stand gradients but in the spirit of not complaining about everything, which I'm getting ready to do, I'll give them a pass on this with the belief that maybe they were trying to please both the blue/white and blue/yellow group at the same time.

3. The blue jersey is salvageable but wtf with the white jersey. It's not even white and you can't even see the yellow horn on it. I noticed in the video where they discussed the process they never showed who raised their hand and said that would be a good idea.

4. When I looked at the patch from a far I saw Los Angeles Rams but after looking at it closer it's Rams and then a different color stitch. What's the deal with that? I'm guessing that's a placeholder for an ad.

5. The horn still looks like the Chargers logo and Karen's hair. It needs to be fixed.

6. The STL GSOT jerseys are still the best although the navy and gold with the gold shoulder stripe is a close 2nd. 

I'm curious about the 2 alternates that are coming in the future for the Rams. They could just be a color rush, and something else. But, is it possible that these 2 sets require the dark royal helmet for a throwback set or something? Are they waiting to see what happens with the one helmet rule going away before revealing them? Just a thought.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, Bluefalcon said:

I'm waiting for the new Rams and Falcons uniforms in 2025, personally...

I'm completely with you there and my guess is that it will happen. The Falcons easily have the most hideous uniforms in the NFL right now with way too many combinations, as well. Each of them ugly as sin. The Rams uniforms have problems too, mainly the gradient numbers and helmet having goat horns and crescent moons.

I don't think the Rams need 2 set of horns on each uniform, one on the helmet and the exact same set of horns on the shoulders too.

At least the road has something different on the shoulders. Just a thin yellow outline, very subtle detail only. The copy/pasting of the new horns is a little too much.

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I don't think the Rams need 2 set of horns on each uniform, one on the helmet and the exact same set of horns on the shoulders too.

At least the road has something different on the shoulders. Just a thin yellow outline, very subtle detail only. The copy/pasting of the new horns is a little too much.

I see where you’re coming from because I’ve always held this opinion regarding the throwbacks, but I think the new design executes it better. To me, the new shoulder design reads more like a complementary stripe than the old one, which was much more of a copy/paste repeat of the helmet design (that got butchered as the uniform cut evolved). I actually wish they would have gone with a blue version of this stripe on the road uniform.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I see where you’re coming from because I’ve always held this opinion regarding the throwbacks, but I think the new design executes it better. To me, the new shoulder design reads more like a complementary stripe than the old one, which was much more of a copy/paste repeat of the helmet design (that got butchered as the uniform cut evolved). I actually wish they would have gone with a blue version of this stripe on the road uniform.

spacer.png

It does look more like a complementary stripe because both ends of the curve make it look like a better rounded shape.

I thought to myself that this was an opportunity to clean up what was an over abundance of horns and just go with sleaker arm stripes. But at the end of the day, they wanted to keep more of that tradition. They've persistently let us know that the curved outline going through the yellow like that it's for the horns.

I think they went with plain roads because they wanted the horns to always be yellow everywhere. The helmet, their new ram head, they kept that consistent too. Either that or they wanted the blue front numbers to stand out more on their own.

2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Guys.

They grew on me.

I'm not saying I like them,

but they've grown on me.

They made gradients work for a full-time NFL uniform in 2020. That's not easy to pull off.

Their uniforms aren't all bad. It's the LA wavy primary logo that's the worst part about the new look. The new ram head has a gradient too but it's still pretty decent. That should have been the primary logo, whether they put it on the uniforms or not.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, Bluefalcon said:

You mean the Rams had a process??!? They could've fooled me...

Got that right Bluefalcon but what really impresses me is that these people actually showed their faces to the public.

7 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Darken the blue on the helmet, fix the number font, and you've solved half of your problems in this uniform

The color shade of the helmet is the single best  element in my opinion. Blue may be my favorite color, but I have a hard time not loving the Rams helmet

Archived