OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

I've seen this particular critique of the uniform a few times, and I don't get it. Slavish dedication to consistency is just asking for trouble, IMO.  In the case of the Chargers, that has generally led to multiple outlines around the bolts, needlessly complicating everything.

 

If perfect consistency in uniform stripes and elements is really your thing, you always have the 80's Oilers. They kind of did it first, better, and basically put it to bed. No one else need apply.

 

Agreed, they have a clear and simple system. The bolt is yellow/blue on white, like on the helmet. On the jersey it swaps the blue for white because of the jersey color. On the pants they swap the yellow for white due to the pants color. Might as well complain that the helmet, jersey, and pants are all different colors, INCONSISTENCY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

I've seen this particular critique of the uniform a few times, and I don't get it. Slavish dedication to consistency is just asking for trouble, IMO.  In the case of the Chargers, that has generally led to multiple outlines around the bolts, needlessly complicating everything.

 

If perfect consistency in uniform stripes and elements is really your thing, you always have the 80's Oilers. They kind of did it first, better, and basically put it to bed. No one else need apply.

 

I typically am not an ardent proponent of uniform striping needing to achieve consistency (eg oilers or u of florida) in all settings but to me the bolt is a unique mark as it also doubles as a logo which I don't think should change colors when worn as a uniform at the same time. To me that is an unprofessional look and belongs in college and high school. Also the only time the bold got unnecessarily complicated was the last set where they tried to use powder and navy in all of their sets. In a 3 color scheme (powder/white/yellow or navy/white/yellow) you absolutely can achieve consistency without complexity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

I typically am not an ardent proponent of uniform striping needing to achieve consistency (eg oilers or u of florida) in all settings but to me the bolt is a unique mark as it also doubles as a logo which I don't think should change colors when worn as a uniform at the same time. To me that is an unprofessional look and belongs in college and high school. Also the only time the bold got unnecessarily complicated was the last set where they tried to use powder and navy in all of their sets. In a 3 color scheme (powder/white/yellow or navy/white/yellow) you absolutely can achieve consistency without complexity.

 

So, how does that work on the gold pants?  Yellow bolt, outlined in blue, outlined again in white, on a yellow background?  Yeeesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

So, how does that work on the gold pants?  Yellow bolt, outlined in blue, outlined again in white, on a yellow background?  Yeeesh.

 

It's really not that hard to conceptualize. Use the same concept as they have in the past where regardless of pant color they all have the same side panel in the same color with the same color bolt. Works on the jersey, pants, and helmet.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, putting the pants bolt inside a stripe has always looked clunky.  The bolt looks best with as little surrounding it as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the bolt being in stripes, honestly. The bolt itself is functionally a stripe, why do you need a stripe on top of a stripe? It seems kinda silly.

 

Not everything has to be consistently colored on every uniform, there should be room for variety if it looks good. Yellow/white bolts on a powder base looks good, as do blue/white bolts on a yellow base. The primary purpose of the bolts should just be to look good, not to be absolutely identical on every single jersey application. Intentionally limiting yourself like that is what ruins good designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even think the bolt looks good on pants. Especially not the one from the navy blue years. Look at that silly thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I’m predicting that bone jersey might be a bit more popular than people think

 

I agree the bone jersey is going to be super popular and people here who peaked at cultural awareness with fire emojis will have a really difficult time understanding why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, guest23 said:

 

I typically am not an ardent proponent of uniform striping needing to achieve consistency (eg oilers or u of florida) in all settings but to me the bolt is a unique mark as it also doubles as a logo which I don't think should change colors when worn as a uniform at the same time. To me that is an unprofessional look and belongs in college and high school. Also the only time the bold got unnecessarily complicated was the last set where they tried to use powder and navy in all of their sets. In a 3 color scheme (powder/white/yellow or navy/white/yellow) you absolutely can achieve consistency without complexity.


I see it as an opportunity to animate the logo, quickly switching the colors with irregular sequence and timing to replicate how lightning actually behaves.

 

stormy dark storm GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripe bolts are the best bolts.That's the one thing I miss from the prior set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, guest23 said:

 

While these are a drastic improvement from the neck down with the bolt patterns on the jersey and pants being near perfect, I have to subtract points for the bolts having 3 different colorations yellow/blue, yellow/white, and white/yellow. Also the white #'s outlined in yellow add yet another another variation. An possible solution would have been to create a standard yellow bolt pattern with a blue inner outline and white outer outline. For this reason I still hold the Seau era as the best iteration with this update being a modern interpretation of the the classic colors inconsistently applied.

Those thread would have looked amazing in the San Diego sun....but they decided to be 10th fiddle in LA ...but I digress ...nice threads anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 12:00 AM, gosioux76 said:

 

Advancing the theory that there's often a big gap between popular and good. 

 

Absolutely, and the Rams have very deliberately gone for trendy instead of timeless. They've gone for peak streetwear and they've probably done pretty well given that brief. 

 

It's not really the done thing in the NFL but the NBA and soccer have been doing this sort of disposable trendy design stuff for years and are pushing further and further into it, suggesting it makes money. 

 

The bone jersey will be gone after 5 years but there will probably be several other streetwear inspired jerseys around the league by then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

 

Absolutely, and the Rams have very deliberately gone for trendy instead of timeless. They've gone for peak streetwear and they've probably done pretty well given that brief. 

 

It's not really the done thing in the NFL but the NBA and soccer have been doing this sort of disposable trendy design stuff for years and are pushing further and further into it, suggesting it makes money. 

 

The bone jersey will be gone after 5 years but there will probably be several other streetwear inspired jerseys around the league by then. 

 

But they're so fresh and so clean. Am I doing this right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

 

Absolutely, and the Rams have very deliberately gone for trendy instead of timeless. They've gone for peak streetwear and they've probably done pretty well given that brief. 

 

It's not really the done thing in the NFL but the NBA and soccer have been doing this sort of disposable trendy design stuff for years and are pushing further and further into it, suggesting it makes money. 

 

The bone jersey will be gone after 5 years but there will probably be several other streetwear inspired jerseys around the league by then. 

Spot on with this. 

 

We can always hope that fashion trends lean more toward the minimalist traditional looks like we've seen from Toronto and Atlanta in the NBa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ramsker said:

 

But they're so fresh and so clean. Am I doing this right?

 

If you want to sound like your dad making fun of Nintendos and skateboards, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

 

Absolutely, and the Rams have very deliberately gone for trendy instead of timeless. They've gone for peak streetwear and they've probably done pretty well given that brief. 

 

It's not really the done thing in the NFL but the NBA and soccer have been doing this sort of disposable trendy design stuff for years and are pushing further and further into it, suggesting it makes money. 

 

The bone jersey will be gone after 5 years but there will probably be several other streetwear inspired jerseys around the league by then

If by the bolded phrase you mean 'game jersey' as opposed to fashion wear, I would take that bet and be surprised to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

If you want to sound like your dad making fun of Nintendos and skateboards, yes.

 

Nintendos and skateboards were made for kids. Football uniforms and long term design decisions shouldn't be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

I agree the bone jersey is going to be super popular and people here who peaked at cultural awareness with fire emojis will have a really difficult time understanding why.

Okay, I’ll bite: why?

 

Mind you, I think bone can look fine if used with contrasting trim. But they didn’t do that. At all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ramsker said:

 

Nintendos and skateboards were made for kids. Football uniforms and long term design decisions shouldn't be. 

 

That's crazy, on all accounts. Not everything is for everybody, but Nintendo, skateboards, and football all have very wide and diverse demographics. Any person able can participate in enjoying aspects of those activities.

 

But, most importantly, the NFL 100 percent advertises and cultivates brand affiliation with children. There is decades worth of merchandising to illustrate this point. And I personally think it's just fine for some uniform elements (like Bengal tiger stripes on a helmet) to be designed to appeal to children; they absolutely did for me when I was a young guy and I know I'm not the only one.

 

20 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Okay, I’ll bite: why?

 

Mind you, I think bone can look fine if used with contrasting trim. But they didn’t do that. At all. 

 

Because it looks cool and different from any other NFL uniform. Because it will go well with jeans and other dark pants. Because it's a unique color and people like unique things. Because LA is cool and new things in LA can be cool and people will want to be associated with that. Because it's a football jersey that looks less like a football jersey than other football jerseys.

 

I'm not saying you need to love it. Just that there is an appeal to that jersey I think people have a real blind spot for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally go into every decision with lets make this not look like what it is supposed to be that way I can throw everyone off. To each their own I guess.

 

A quick story my son loves buying NFL jerseys for really cheap not sure why but he does. The funny part is he bought a Cleveland Browns jersey in the previous style and my wife was putting it up for him and knows very little about the NFL. Her exact words were "this is not a real jersey is it, it looks so cheap". I said no its the real thing she could not believe it. I could only imagine what she would say if it had been the "bone" jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.