Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think the Rams patch and little squiggle stitch looks super cool.

I think it's really silly, and even worse on the boner jersey.  I'm not sure what it adds to the look, other than just being an unnecessary label.  If they didn't want to go with the now-traditional under-collar wordmark, maybe just the logo patch would have been better?  The fact that it's a patch makes it look like something they forgot and just added on at the end, even though I'm sure that it was consciously done that way.  As it stands, it seems like a label - almost like a sticker that you're supposed to remove after you buy it. 

Did they ever give a reasoning for the stitch?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think it's really silly, and even worse on the boner jersey.  I'm not sure what it adds to the look, other than just being an unnecessary label.  If they didn't want to go with the now-traditional under-collar wordmark, maybe just the logo patch would have been better?  The fact that it's a patch makes it look like something they forgot and just added on at the end, even though I'm sure that it was consciously done that way.  As it stands, it seems like a label - almost like a sticker that you're supposed to remove after you buy it. 

In a uniform that has MANY faults, I agree. What the hell is the purpose of that name tag that's not finished? I'm at a loss.

Confused Judge Reinhold GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

16 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Easy; it's just a placeholder for an ad patch. 😜

That's been said a lot, but I don't think it really makes much sense.  Like for other teams that don't have a patch there, are they not going to be able to add one if and when they get the go ahead?  Why not?  Like their fans would say, "hey, there was nothing there before, you can't just add an ad!"  Conversely, would Rams fans just be more OK with it because it's already replacing an ugly and pointless patch? Like they wouldn't notice and it would just slip by? Not buying it.

I think this whole dopey "streetwear" stuff, with the ironic labels and overly obvious visible signs of construction, that has come up a few times in discussions about this mess of a uniform is the more likely culprit. Talk about tying your new uniform to a specific moment and making it even more dated... what a misstep.

spacer.png

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Looks cool.

Why horns? Looks cool.

Why a G in an oval? Looks cool.

Why any colors at all? Looks cool.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Looks cool.

Why horns? Looks cool.

Why a G in an oval? Looks cool.

Why any colors at all? Looks cool.

Or...

Why horns? Because they're called the Rams and rams have horns.

Why a G in an oval? Because they play in Green Bay.

Why any colors at all? Umm... so you can tell the teams apart?

🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Or...

Why horns? Because they're called the Rams and rams have horns.

Why a G in an oval? Because they play in Green Bay.

Why any colors at all? Umm... so you can tell the teams apart?

🤷‍♂️

Could have been an R for Rams or P for packers. Do any teams really need black and white jerseys? 

Some ornamentation is good but other isn't?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Boned: A Close Look at the Rams’ New Uniforms

I asked the team about the yellow zigzag stitching along the top edge of both patches and was told the following: “This is a unique design feature that we are excited to introduce. This stitching above the patch is the same stitch used throughout our jerseys — it’s a feature we could potentially use across other merchandise going forward.” An article posted yesterday on The Athletic (paywalled) added this: “The zig-zagging ‘signature stitch’ was inspired by some fashion designers’ iconic ‘mark’ on the clothing they create.” Oooookay.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

9 hours ago, logo-maker said:

Agreed.

Had the done that with the sleeve cap 'horns', it would have given some cohesion to the entire home set (gradient across all elements).

Jesus Christ no, the gradient is the worst part of the uniform.

20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm pretty sure this concept is the very reason this website exists.🙂

You got me there.

The Rams' stitch is cool 😎

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Jesus Christ no, the gradient is the worst part of the uniform.

I'm not saying, I prefer gradient in sports uniform design, but would rather see some sort of cohesive design application. 

Personally, I would rather have had the Rams do a single color horn on the helmet and sleeve, and single color pant stripe.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

As much as I despise gradients in uniforms. somehow, the gradient numbers on the Rams uniform aren't the worst part, at least to me.  Don't get me wrong...I still hate it here.  There's little reason for it.  But with it being "confined" to the numbers only (and not the full gradient uniform mess like the Falcons), it can slip by a little more...unnoticed.  For me the real issues with the uniform remain the funky bone color, the hard-to-distinguish bone-yellow-white patterns on the road with little blue to help out, the absolutely stupid patches that feel like "HELLO MY NAME IS..." patches slapped, and the odd incongruity between road and homes.  The gradients are bad, but they're behind those issues for me.  I still don't like the new segmented horns either, but that's lower on the list then the gradients.

I've said previously that I think there's a good uniform in there, but too many poor choices ruin the entire package.  Given some time to process, the feeling remains the same. Just feels like an attempt at an overdesign and an inability to constrain.  Any one of the "new" things could have been generally acceptable or passable (unless they went with a classic uniform and gradients, that probably doesn't work) in some fashion, but adding them all in together creates an over designed feel.  Almost as if during the process "no" was outlawed.  "Gradients?"  Sure.  "No gradients?"  Sure, that too.  "White?"  Sure.  "Off white?"  Sure.  "New horn?"  Sure.  "Yellow?"  Sure.  "Patches?"  Sure.  "Patch should say Rams".  Sure.  "How about Los Angeles too?"  Sure.  "How are we going to do all of this?"  Well, we have two uniforms, so one can have some of that, and the other can have the other stuff.  

Just looking at these photos https://www.therams.com/photos/first-look-at-media-week#bc6b4fc5-89cb-4825-be64-05ad58b29ad5

I think the biggest liability is the segmented horn. If its not for you, there's nothing that can repair it. To be honest, once you're looking at it from a distance, a lot of the smaller details (the name tag, the stitching, the swirls on the numbers) fade away. There's even an interesting effect where the gradient effects only the elements from the bottom of the numbers downward. For example this picture has the yellow being consistent from the top of the helmet down to the numbers, before fading to white.

nxwbxfipo69bmg9qdjmf.jpg

The white then fades back to yellow on the pants. 

kay4xhlvearkqbxkm95s.jpg

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm not saying I've come around completely, but I can at least see where the theme is on the mono blue at least. 

Yeah I see the theme as wanting to do a more refined version of the '13 jags by adding every contemporary nike gimmick/feature onto a single uniform.

I don't hate mono on principle like some do, but it shouldn't be their primary look.  The problem is that their gradient theme breaks down if they wear yellow pants, since the top of the pants would have to be white and fade into yellow.  That's just unacceptable.

They could do yellow pants with a stripe that starts white and fades into blue, but it would have been better if they dropped the gradient gimmick altogether.

They could also have wrapped the horn around a little bit which would have cut down on the crescent-moon references, but I'm not sure how they "unbreak" it without "unbreaking" the sleeve arches too.

Sorry but while it's not in the "disaster" category, I can't rate it much higher.  If "disaster" is 1-2 out of 10, then this is like a 3.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Yeah I see the theme as wanting to do a more refined version of the '13 jags by adding every contemporary nike gimmick/feature onto a single uniform.

Are they though?

A lot of the gimmicky features of the '20 Rams set fade at a distance very much unlike the Bucs and '13 Jags. It was impossible to ignore the Jags' helmet and the Bucs' number font. Ditto for the truncated striping (which the Rams set is largely free of apart from the bone jersey).

I think the thing the Rams and Jags have in common is that it really comes down to the helmet. The two color, two finish helmet really sunk that look for the Jaguars. Likewise, I think the segmented horns are going to be the most likely to turn someone off on the new design. If you don't mind the new horns, the rest of the set isn't that bad. 

Archived