Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/8/2020 at 8:50 PM, DNAsports said:

*sigh* I’m gonna say it...

the more I look at them, the more I sorta like them...

It's impressive that the gradient numbers are probably only the 4th worst thing about this uniform (Helmet horns, mono, patch/stitching)

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

It's impressive that the gradient numbers are probably only the 4th worst thing about this uniform (Helmet horns, mono, patch/stitching)

I'd rate the horns 4th and numbers first, but that's like re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic (or something).

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, VikWings said:

Oh we're ranking?

1. Bone uniform

2. Number font

3. Gradient usage

4. Segmented horns

5. Not-navy helmet

fiowXOD.png

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

You want a mismatching helmet?

His signature image doesn't match his username, so there you go.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the fact that the yellow stripes on the shoulders carry a passing resemblance to St. Louis' Gateway Arch is hilarious to me. I can't NOT see it. 

I totally agree. It reminds me of this logo from when then first moved to the Lou:

St. Louis Rams Primary Logo <1995-1999> Iron On Stickers (Heat ...

On 8/8/2020 at 8:50 PM, DNAsports said:

*sigh* I’m gonna say it...

the more I look at them, the more I sorta like them...

[Instagram post redacted]

Yea, I don't hate them as much as I did at the reveal, either. Most of what I view as mis-steps are in the smaller details, such as the segmented horn.

0gA896t.jpg

This, overall, doesn't look terrible, though granted it's from probably the best possible angle. From a distance it will mostly look fine, I think, at least at home. It's just a shame the yellow pants aren't the primary, and that the away jersey exists.

If we're ranking the most egregious of design choices of the uniforms, for me it would be:

1. including white on the away jersey, and not having a white jersey at least as an alternate

2. segmented horns

3. blue pants existing, yellow not being the primary

4. streetwear stitching

I'm not going to put the gradient numbers on there, because to be honest I don't mind them at the moment.

(As a side note, it is kind of funny how perfect that sleeve design would have been for St. Louis, as I can easily see it as the top of the Gateway Arch now that it's been mentioned):

nWZs3C9.jpg

I just realized that being a fan of sports branding is a lot like wrestling. A lot of it is terrible, and a lot of what is good is stuff that seemed awful to start with before it grew on you. Also, logic is less important than you thought.

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Yea, I don't hate them as much as I did at the reveal, either. Most of what I view as mis-steps are in the smaller details, such as the segmented horn.

0gA896t.jpg

This, overall, doesn't look terrible, though granted it's from probably the best possible angle. From a distance it will mostly look fine, I think, at least at home. It's just a shame the yellow pants aren't the primary, and that the away jersey exists.

If we're ranking the most egregious of design choices of the uniforms, for me it would be:

1. including white on the away jersey, and not having a white jersey at least as an alternate

2. segmented horns

3. blue pants existing, yellow not being the primary

4. streetwear stitching

I'm not going to put the gradient numbers on there, because to be honest I don't mind them at the moment.

(As a side note, it is kind of funny how perfect that sleeve design would have been for St. Louis, as I can easily see it as the top of the Gateway Arch now that it's been mentioned):

nWZs3C9.jpg

What you have said I pretty much agree with. Blue over yellow looks good. Blue over blue looks passable. The bone jersey looks awful. Give it more blue and take away the white patch and it can be passable. The bone pants also look awful, and I hope they’re replaced with the yellow ones as much as possible. 

The gradient home number is gimmicky, but not at all aesthetically displeasing to me personally. 

I'd love to know what they tell these guys during the photo shoots.

"OK, you - make your arms look as long as possible.  You - do the same, but flex as if you're trying to pop a vein.  You - act like you're having a heart-to-heart talk with the ball, or like you're contemplating the most important decision of your life.  You - pretend like you're superman flying through air"

The players never look like this while actually wearing the uniform in action - and is it just me, or do the companies go out of their way to make players arms look longer than they are?  I've noticed it in store mannequins too - they're all super long-armed models flexing for no apparent reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd love to know what they tell these guys during the photo shoots.

"OK, you - make your arms look as long as possible.  You - do the same, but flex as if you're trying to pop a vein.  You - act like you're having a heart-to-heart talk with the ball, or like you're contemplating the most important decision of your life.  You - pretend like you're superman flying through air"

The players never look like this while actually wearing the uniform in action - and is it just me, or do the companies go out of their way to make players arms look longer than they are?  I've noticed it in store mannequins too - they're all super long-armed models flexing for no apparent reason.

I would say that's a fairly accurate description whether it's photo shoots or scripted live action you often get individuals from art backgrounds with little knowledge or interest of sportsball. They just have a hard time relating to to the activity so the result ends up being a fun parody of being fierce etc.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Oh please, those arms are so fake.  haha

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

0gA896t.jpg

nWZs3C9.jpg

This is what is so frustrating about the rebrand. The colors are simply fantastic. They nailed the royal blue and yellow. The new horn aside, the helmet looks phenomenal. 

All they had to do was update the classic LA Ram’s uniform without going too crazy but that was too difficult for them.

As a side note, you know a uniform has issues when gradient numbers are the least offensive design element. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived