OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

 

 

When I said the new horn was an improvement, I wasn't saying anything about the segmentation.  Only the shape.  

 

I know you didn't, that's why I was asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 7:51 AM, Gothamite said:


i disagree.  The old horns have looked bad on helmets for a long, long time.  Didn’t work on modern helmet shells.  This new shape fits, and looks so much better. 

Respectfully, I disagree, the horn fits perfectly in the example below, it could even be widened some more towards the top. The current horn looks like it’s trying too hard to fit.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:12 PM, WSU151 said:

Boned: A Close Look at the Rams' New UniformsLA Rams unveil new uniforms | Las Vegas Review-Journal

 

Looks like a regular blue non-metallic paint. Mini helmets are regular blue facemasks (and are metallic silver for the Lions). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the admiral said:

If it were one continuous horn, it wouldn't be that shape. I don't think you can isolate one aspect from the other here. 

 

 

Hmm... kinda works.spacer.png

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve come around on the shape of the horn a bit. The uniforms still suck. Just look at how bad the navy blue helmet horn above looks in comparison. But I still don’t like the separation in the horn. I would much prefer a continuous horn or perhaps use that light orange color to convey shadows or a 3D effect. Both would be better options than the route they chose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

 

Hmm... kinda works.spacer.png

 

 

 


more than “kinda”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dont care said:

Respectfully, I disagree, the horn fits perfectly in the example below, it could even be widened some more towards the top. The current horn looks like it’s trying too hard to fit.

 

 

it doesn’t fit at all.  They’ve got to bend the decal to make it work, and the curve of the horn is ruined by the chin strap. 
 

This was a necessary update.  Has been for decades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.pngThe more I see the helmet and what the designers were trying to achieve, the more I appreciate it. The break in the horn attempting to show the two sides(top and side view) of the Ram horn where it curls. It could have been executed a little better, but it's the only thing I see. I don't see the crescent anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rambulance said:

spacer.pngThe more I see the helmet and what the designers were trying to achieve, the more I appreciate it. The break in the horn attempting to show the two sides(top and side view) of the Ram horn where it curls. It could have been executed a little better, but it's the only thing I see. I don't see the crescent anymore.

If that is what they were going for, it clearly needed to be two different colors, just like the real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If that is what they were going for, it clearly needed to be two different colors, just like the real thing.

10D0c5i.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

10D0c5i.jpg

Or their 'Sol' instead of your white. Darker on top like in real life. With or without the break, but probably without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah. I like the idea of the horn texture without being obvious about it. I think they did it right to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Or their 'Sol' instead of your white. Darker on top like in real life. With or without the break, but probably without.

 

Consider this, based on one of my favorite hats

ROENoYw.jpg

4018907?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

 

Consider this, based on one of my favorite hats

ROENoYw.jpg

4018907?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

I think that color is a non-starter, since they got rid of it in this re-design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, it seems like the new shape is at least better, I’ll admit. It looks more “circular” and consistent than the old horn. I still can’t get past the break in the horn, but if it were all one shape, this would be an acceptable change in my opinion, possibly even an upgrade.

 

Especially considering they were supposedly inspired by the Golden Ratio though, I feel like they still could have manage to incorporate the final “spiral” of the horn, but I’m not sure if that could have been possible with the new shape.

TMLLUN9.jpg

HTENvNh.jpg

 

 

I don’t mean to toot my own horn (pun not intended), but here’s how I would have handled the helmet. I think the gradients could actually be used to good effect here, as this way there wouldn’t be too much white on the helmet when it should be mostly yellow. Yet it would still allow for a sort of “textured” effect to the horn, while also tying in with the gradient throughout the rest of the set.

qwSNThM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nah. I like the idea of the horn texture without being obvious about it. I think they did it right to begin with.

On top of that it would’ve been a bridge too far to add a second color. The horn has always been one color. The Rams went as far as they could without committing complete sacrilege.

 

I do appreciate that the break in the horn actually had some thought. You could forgive anyone that saw it as nothing more than Nike trying to be trendy or edgy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't see the appeal, I can see both the crescent shape side and the side that says it's a segmented horn. Neither look good. This was a free throw, not even a free throw, it was easier than a free throw and they missed the basket entirely. Even @oldschoolvikings fix looks worse than the original. 

Honestly the colors are the only thing I like about this set. But even those are just a small upgrade over the navy and metallic gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JLJ said:

On top of that it would’ve been a bridge too far to add a second color. The horn has always been one color. The Rams went as far as they could without committing complete sacrilege.

 

I do appreciate that the break in the horn actually had some thought. You could forgive anyone that saw it as nothing more than Nike trying to be trendy or edgy.

 

The damage has been done. They tried to reinvent every aspect of their uniform for the sake of design and created a busy and disjointed mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, the Ram horn design had been around for 70 years. I don't think anatomical accuracy should be the top priority in a helmet design at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.