Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

So... how long until we see white “alternates” for the Rams? Those bone jerseys should be laughed off the field by, I dunno... week 4 or 5?

What an absolutely botched experiment, although I wouldn’t expect anything less from Kroenke. The monochrome is crap, the bone looks like they accidentally washed a road uni with a black pen in the washing machine, and the gradient numbers are unnecessary and stupid (especially if you’re going full time monochrome). Get a grip, Nike.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Yeah, which is similar to how it might look from a distance. The main exposure fans will have to this helmet is as a small cluster of pixels on a monitor, where they won't get great focus on the helmet's finish and details. Realistically, the separation will not be that obvious/egregious from a distance.

I find the detail unnecessary and I prefer the full curl horn to the crescent moon, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how they look in photos.

I shouldn't keep harping on this, but my eyes apparently work better than yours. Not to mention that I have a new fangled thing called a High Definition TV, so I'm not staring at pixels when I watch football.

If the segmentation is lost when actual games are played, I'll re-visit this to apologize about my assumption.

It's where I sit.

24 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

So... how long until we see white “alternates” for the Rams? Those bone jerseys should be laughed off the field by, I dunno... week 4 or 5?

What an absolutely botched experiment, although I wouldn’t expect anything less from Kroenke. The monochrome is crap, the bone looks like they accidentally washed a road uni with a black pen in the washing machine, and the gradient numbers are unnecessary and stupid (especially if you’re going full time monochrome). Get a grip, Nike.

I think the bone uniforms will be held in the same historical regard as sand and graphite do in mlb.

I actually like the bone-colored jerseys, particularly with the all-blue socks. *shrugs shoulders*

Would pure white be cleaner? Sure. But with the bone being an almost off-white color, their road uniforms have this odd but satisfying feeling (to me) of being both vintage and modern at the same time. 

13 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I actually like the bone-colored jerseys, particularly with the all-blue socks. *shrugs shoulders*

Would pure white be cleaner? Sure. But with the bone being an almost off-white color, their road uniforms have this odd but satisfying feeling (to me) of being both vintage and modern at the same time. 

I think there's a lot of rationalization going on this thread. I like to think of it this way, under what circumstances does a light khaki football uniform present a superior look to all white, white over blue, or white over yellow when your primary colors are royal and yellow? I can't think of a single instance where white would not be a superior choice. If they wanted to do bone to be more fashion forward and sell merch go the alternate route.

53 minutes ago, guest23 said:

If they wanted to do bone to be more fashion forward and sell merch go the alternate route.

A white uniform would certainly have more contrast and be much cleaner, but why would you have both a white uniform and an off-white uniform when the goal is to sell merchandise? Not only would it split the profits given how similar the white and off-white uniforms would be, it would also take up one of the spots allotted for potential gold and black alternate uniforms down the line, therein being less profitable overall.

26 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

A white uniform would certainly have more contrast and be much cleaner, but why would you have both a white uniform and an off-white uniform when the goal is to sell merchandise? Not only would it split the profits given how similar the white and off-white uniforms would be, it would also take up one of the spots allotted for potential gold and black alternate uniforms down the line, therein being less profitable overall.

Personally I'm totally fine with having a bone uniform be the reason why we can't get yet another BFBS uniform. 

42 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

This is a great question, and the answer is, "you wouldn't." 

An even better question is, why would you have an off-white uniform, and the answer is, "you shouldn't." 

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The bone jerseys are growing on me as well. The bone jerseys shoulder design is superior to the half horn which just looks stupid. Either do the entire horn or dont do it at all.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

I disagree. People buy alternate/fashion/color rush merch because it's different. There are enough examples of similar colored alts that are popular because they are not the primary. White color rush jerseys would definitely counter to your argument.

I would expect more people would be willing to buy a non-white road uniform than a non-white fashion or alternate uniform.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

They Seahawks don’t have an issue selling I white and “wolf grey” alternate so why would the rams

30 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I would expect more people would be willing to buy a non-white road uniform than a non-white fashion or alternate uniform.

But would people be more willing to buy a white road jersey over an off white road jersey?

36 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I disagree. People buy alternate/fashion/color rush merch because it's different. There are enough examples of similar colored alts that are popular because they are not the primary. White color rush jerseys would definitely counter to your argument.

The entire point of introducing a bone-colored road uniform is to blend the on-field product with the off-field fashion line. The general public is far more likely to purchase four entirely different jerseys than they are three different jerseys and a fourth that looks very similar to the third, as well as far more likely to purchase something they see on the field versus something that is just a straight fashion jersey. Not to mention, putting the bone-colored jersey beside a white jersey would only make it look that much more washed out/dirty/off-white, etc. Why even give them a choice between the two?

I also don't think it's fair to mention the Color Rush sets, given the teams that chose all-white uniforms either went with throwback looks that are noticeably different from their standard road uniform (Cowboys, Raiders, Giants and Saints), changed key elements like color balance and the number font (Bengals) or simply wore their regular road uniform with white pants (Packers). If the Rams' hypothetical white jersey followed the same template as the blue home jersey while the bone-color jersey had the same sleeve design it has now, that would be one thing. But it would be pointless to have them be the exact same jersey only a slightly different shade for the base.

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

They Seahawks don’t have an issue selling I white and “wolf grey” alternate so why would the rams

The contrast is far greater in that situation. 

7 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

The entire point of introducing a bone-colored road uniform is to blend the on-field product with the off-field fashion line. The general public is far more likely to purchase four entirely different jerseys than they are three different jerseys and a fourth that looks very similar to the third, as well as far more likely to purchase something they see on the field versus something that is just a straight fashion jersey. Not to mention, putting the bone-colored jersey beside a white jersey would only make it look that much more washed out/dirty/off-white, etc. Why even give them a choice between the two?

I also don't think it's fair to mention the Color Rush sets, given the teams that chose all-white uniforms either went with throwback looks that are noticeably different from their standard road uniform (Cowboys, Raiders, Giants and Saints), changed key elements like color balance and the number font (Bengals) or simply wore their regular road uniform with white pants (Packers). If the Rams' hypothetical white jersey followed the same template as the blue home jersey while the bone-color jersey had the same sleeve design it has now, that would be one thing. But it would be pointless to have them be the exact same jersey only a slightly different shade for the base.

The contrast is far greater in that situation. 

Not really, the seahawks wolf grey just look like a dirty version of the whites, same with these bone uniforms, one looks like it was washed in dish water, while the other is sweat stained.

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

Not really, the seahawks wolf grey just look like a dirty version of the whites, same with these bone uniforms

Does it really, though? One looks vintage white while the other is... well... gray (and is clearly not just a "dirty" white).

KhB19Tm.png

15 minutes ago, dont care said:

But would people be more willing to buy a white road jersey over an off white road jersey?

Maybe? Who knows? I'm just saying "official" carries a lot more cachet than "alternate" and certainly more than "fashion."

We'll know soon enough if there's a need for a white uniform based on 2020 sales. My expectation is there will be a new uniform bump, but it'll be interesting to see for the NFL how many brand new Jared Goff jerseys are sold compared to, say, Stefon Diggs Buffalo Bills jerseys (or Tom Brady Bucs jerseys, which is a twofer of new-ish uniforms AND major player move).

And it's the NFL. There's a good chance they come out with a white jersey next season anyway.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Does it really, though? One looks vintage white while the other looks gray (and is clearly not just a "dirty" white).

KhB19Tm.png

Just going off color swatches isn’t a good comparison, in real life during games you wouldn’t be able to tell it’s grey or white unless you were told.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fieldgulls.com/platform/amp/2020/5/1/21243376/seattle-seahawks-wolf-grey-uniforms

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

Just going off color swatches isn’t a good comparison, in real life during games you wouldn’t be able to tell it’s grey or white unless you were told.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fieldgulls.com/platform/amp/2020/5/1/21243376/seattle-seahawks-wolf-grey-uniforms

I'll respectfully disagree because I've never once questioned whether they were wearing white or gray when watching them play, not to mention that header photo is a bit overexposed.

Archived