OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

1 hour ago, doctorpeligro said:

I don’t see people here throwing shade at the 49ers, Raiders, Packers, or Bears because those teams got hundreds of millions of public dollars.

The Raiders' larcenous deal with Nevada has not escaped criticism here

But the people on this board aren’t holding other teams to the same standard.

To my knowledge only the Giants, Jets, and Rams (and maybe Dolphins?) haven’t received public money to build their stadiums. I don’t see people here throwing shade at the 49ers, Raiders, Packers, or Bears because those teams got hundreds of millions of public dollars.

Not sure why anyone would be 'throwing shade' at teams that fleeced tax payers years ago - what good does it do unless it's directly relevant to some current topic?  I dislike the Rams uniforms, but I'm not going to 'throw shade' at all the other teams who's uniforms I've disliked at the same time.

Teams getting public money is disgusting.  Infrastructure upgrades?  Fine.  Discounts on land?  Eh..... maybe.  But anything else?  Gross.  

The Sixers are the latest team looking to take advantage of a special zoning thing along with asking for tax payers to fund a new arena on Philly's neglected waterfront.  The team is owned by billionaire hedge-fund managers who had league-minimum payrolls all throughout 'the process'. - no way they should get a dime.

To my knowledge only the Giants, Jets, and Rams (and maybe Dolphins?) haven’t received public money to build their stadiums. I don’t see people here throwing shade at the 49ers, Raiders, Packers, or Bears because those teams got hundreds of millions of public dollars.

My criticism of publicly-funded stadiums isn't limited to the Chargers. Taxpayers in all those other markets got fleeced too.

To my knowledge only the Giants, Jets, and Rams (and maybe Dolphins?) haven’t received public money to build their stadiums.

Ownership of the New England Patriots didn't receive public money to build their stadium.

The agreement that was eventually hammered out between the Kraft Family and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts resulted in the state making $72 million in infrastructure improvements surrounding Gillette Stadium, including to Route 1. However, said deal also requires the Krafts to help repay that amount through a direct annual payment to the state of $1 million per year for 25 years, and satellite parking lot owners to shoulder a portion of the infrastructure burden through payment of a total of $400,000 a year in licensing fees to the Town of Foxborough, which passes said monies on to the state. 

The total up-front cost of the Gillette Stadium project was $397 million: $325 million for the facility and $72 million in infrastructure improvements (including those to Route 1). The Krafts will ultimately pick up 88% of that total price-tag (the entirety of the stadium costs, plus $25 million in reimbursement to the state for infrastructure improvements). The Commonwealth of Massachusetts will be responsible for 9% of the project's cost ($37 million in infrastructure costs after reimbursement of a combined $35 million in infrastructure costs from the Krafts and satellite parking owners/Town of Foxborough). Satellite parking lot owners/Town of Foxborough will ultimately shoulder 3% of the project's initial cost (through $10 million in licensing fees).

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Sixers are the latest team looking to take advantage of a special zoning thing along with asking for tax payers to fund a new arena on Philly's neglected waterfront.  The team is owned by billionaire hedge-fund managers who had league-minimum payrolls all throughout 'the process'. - no way they should get a dime.

They shouldn't, but I don't think a plan to compete with Comcast's properties would get far in the company town anyway.

3 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

To my knowledge only the Giants, Jets, and Rams (and maybe Dolphins?) haven’t received public money to build their stadiums.

Jack Kent Cooke also privately financed FedEx Field, with local government paying for land and infrastructure (which seems to be common). 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

They shouldn't, but I don't think a plan to compete with Comcast's properties would get far in the company town anyway.

The unions have bullied Comcast before, and ultimately their lobby is probably strong (and corrupt) enough to get the plan pretty far - if it wasn't brought up in the middle of a goddam pandemic.  

Granted, it's not like the Sixers were the ones that called a press conference and unveiled an actual plan, and they're targeting 2031, but just the fact that it was leaked now gives them a bad look.

New uniforms in action at new stadium!!!  Scroll to 3:50

Looks cool to me.  Uniforms, stadium and turf.  Could be better of course, but eh.

I think swapping the blue and bone pants would be smart; I bet we'll see that at one point.

Besides all the aforementioned issues, there’s always been something else that felt off and I couldn’t put my finger on. I think I figured it out today.

For years, the proper Rams uniforms had that thick contrasting yellow collar. It added that extra bit of color and helped with the balance between blue and yellow. The lack of the collar feels sorely missed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It’s a shame, too. The design transitioned seamlessly onto a modern template. The contrasting collar was nice and the sleeve horns looked like a nice modern interpretation and fit well on the template. The old design had a solid stripe from the front that wrapped under the armpits. The version used over the last few years seen below looks like a modern compromise which results in a USC style stripe from the front.

spacer.png

It really works well and I wish they simply cleaned this version up rather than what we got. It’s another example of a decent idea which got off track due to way too many bumper stickers. Take the old design, use the new font (solid numbers, no gradient), use the new helmet design (no separation in the horn), and maybe streamline the pants to a solid blue stripe since the only other white on the set is the NOB. That would be a great hybrid between the old school and new school.

I think they actually look worse in real action than they did in the photoshops and graphics.  The helmet, despite absurd claims that the break isn't noticeable, is really bad.  The blue/blue is bad, and the bone is really bad - especially since they're doubling down on it and going monobone.

They really botched every single part of this, starting with the logos, then the crescent moon helmet, the gradient-numbered-mono-blue home set, and the BONE!? road set.

I guess the stadium is nice.  That's about the only good thing I can say about them.

The bone jerseys should be burned. They look so bad, especially when ever they are next to anything that’s white.

24 minutes ago, joekono said:

Rams new uniforms still look likeBest Puking Stewie GIFs | Gfycat

😄 ok I cannot unsee this now.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:33 AM, guest23 said:

I think the bone uniforms will be held in the same historical regard as sand and graphite do in mlb.

Padres just brought back sand road uniforms, to near-universal acclaim. 

9 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

As a lifelong Packers fan, I found their insistence on public dollars to be particularly scummy.

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Padres just brought back sand road uniforms, to near-universal acclaim. 

I was referring to the prior yellow tinted sand when they were still a navy dominant team. You can call the current sd road color sand but it comes off much more as a khaki when paired with brown and yellow.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think they actually look worse in real action than they did in the photoshops and graphics.  The helmet, despite absurd claims that the break isn't noticeable, is really bad.  The blue/blue is bad, and the bone is really bad - especially since they're doubling down on it and going monobone.

Was literally thinking the exact same thing. The gradient numbers especially annoy me and look worse in action. 

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think swapping the blue and bone pants would be smart; I bet we'll see that at one point.

I actually did that in Madden and even tried yellow pants with blue socks and that was almost okay but the jersey is bone so it still doesn't look good. The least offensive combo is bone/bone/blue socks and even then it's not very good. If the Rams really wanted a cream colored uniform, all they had to do was apply a good sense of design and they failed. The color doesn't work with the rest of the identity. You can't look cool when you make no sense.

The helmet is growing on me... and I have always been a fan of rounded numbers on football uniforms (especially when so many teams use block).

But man, so many missed opportunities here. No yellow pants, the still-absurd “bone” unis and the lack of a ram stripe on the shoulders. 

If I lived in LA I’d side with the Chargers on branding alone.