Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Today Todd Archer announced the Cowboys uniform schedule confirming the Cowboys will wear their Navy uniforms Week 1 at the Rams. 

Which means we’re all but guaranteed to get the Rams in monobone. I only hope they pair it with blue socks so it’s slightly more palatable. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So watching the video of them playing in SoFi, and judging this on the full speed parts not the slowed down parts:

-Bone looks bad. Not sure if it’s cause it looks dirty or just “off” but it doesn’t look right at all. Sleeves just look jumbled and a mess.

-The split in the horn is barely noticeable at full speed. Complete over design for the sake of doing something different

- Actually have to force myself to find the little patch on the chest. Again, another over designed nuance that was only done to be different (or as theorized, testing exactly how unnoticeable at full speed it is for potential ads)

- Gradient numbers didn’t bother me. I know they’re there but they just sorta blended in so not a major issue. 
Homes are still the best of the bunch. But considering the competition it’s hard not to think that way. Hopefully by 2025 they’ll do up another change and backpedal once again to something actually retro inspired and return to the far superior versions of the LA Rams

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think swapping the blue and bone pants would be smart; I bet we'll see that at one point.

The blue set and the bone set are such different designs that I'm not sure it'd be a great look. Nothing on the bone pants would go with the blue jerseys and vice versa. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The helmet is growing on me... and I have always been a fan of rounded numbers on football uniforms (especially when so many teams use block).

But man, so many missed opportunities here. No yellow pants, the still-absurd “bone” unis and the lack of a ram stripe on the shoulders. 

If I lived in LA I’d side with the Chargers on branding alone

They have more uniform combinations than they did wins in 2019.

Helmet does not really mesh with the bone look. Very odd to mix that dingy off-white, which mutes the little color present on the jersey/pants, with the bright colorful helmet.

The all blue isn't that bad, even the gradients, it just feels dated for the Rams.

20 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Helmet does not really mesh with the bone look. Very odd to mix that dingy off-white, which mutes the little color present on the jersey/pants, with the bright colorful helmet.

The all blue isn't that bad, even the gradients, it just feels dated for the Rams.

Agreed. The bone would have looked a lot better with he navy helmet and darker numbers. The updates seem to want to call out glitz and glamour, but paired with dirty underwear it falls flat.

5 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

- Actually have to force myself to find the little patch on the chest. Again, another over designed nuance that was only done to be different (or as theorized, testing exactly how unnoticeable at full speed it is for potential ads)

So if it is being tested for how unnoticeable it is at ful speed, how do they sell it as an ad?

Not throwing shade on your speculation - just trying to figure out the end game on it. I agree it is the placeholder for an ad. This might show that it doesn't work, or that it isn't designed for motion, just static photos.

It's where I sit.

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So if it is being tested for how unnoticeable it is at ful speed, how do they sell it as an ad?

Not throwing shade on your speculation - just trying to figure out the end game on it. I agree it is the placeholder for an ad. This might show that it doesn't work, or that it isn't designed for motion, just static photos.

I don't think it's a place holder for an ad...we already have team logos on the upper chest for ~22 years on other jerseys, and the league hasn't said "Yeah ok let's do ads". They've had ads on practice jerseys for years and it hasn't translated to game jerseys. Anniversary and Super Bowl patches haven't led to ads either. Also, the NFL is very aware of what college jerseys look like with branding marks and conference patches...so they already had a preview of what ads would look like. 

Unnoticeable at full speed isn't bad, since 2/3+ of an NFL broadcast is not at full speed. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I really don't think it's a test ad or anything like that, I think it's just another feature of streetwear that they wanted to incorporate on the jersey. That's supported by some other trendy elements of the new brand (extended fonts, gradients, etc.) being featured so heavily. The contrast zig-zag stitching on the tag in particular is something that you see with a lot of clothing brands.

I think that @oldschoolvikings did a really good write up on it already, although I cant remember where.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think it's a place holder for an ad...we already have team logos on the upper chest for ~22 years on other jerseys, and the league hasn't said "Yeah ok let's do ads". They've had ads on practice jerseys for years and it hasn't translated to game jerseys. Anniversary and Super Bowl patches haven't led to ads either. Also, the NFL is very aware of what college jerseys look like with branding marks and conference patches...so they already had a preview of what ads would look like. 

Unnoticeable at full speed isn't bad, since 2/3+ of an NFL broadcast is not at full speed. 

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I really don't think it's a test ad or anything like that, I think it's just another feature of streetwear that they wanted to incorporate on the jersey. That's supported by some other trendy elements of the new brand (extended fonts, gradients, etc.) being featured so heavily. The contrast zig-zag stitching on the tag in particular is something that you see with a lot of clothing brands.

I think that @oldschoolvikings did a really good write up on it already, although I cant remember where.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not in the demographic to 'get it', so you will probably need to hammer this through my thick skull again.  BTW - Permission granted to do so 🙂

It's where I sit.

Like others have said the shade of bone is reminiscent of a fictional tv/movie football team that is is woefully underfunded or neglected and has been wearing their whites for the last 15+ years while their opponent runs onto the field in newfangled bright blue and yellow dazzle fabric set. In short, the bone has no place in this set.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:56 AM, pepis21 said:

This "Bone" uniform looks like someone forgot to add tide pod to wash.

You are so wrong!!!

The "Bone" uniform looks like someone ATE the tide pod and this is the results of looking at a white uniform. 

Archived