Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video really shows how much the trend of an undershirt hanging out of the jersey has caught on, practically every player in a bone uniform had some blue poking out around the waist. I'm never a fan of it, but it's funny in this case that it's practically the only trace of blue near the pants.

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

The real-life thing is SO much better than the mockups it's amazing

Gotta disagree.  The shoulder bolts on the mockups looked better because they were more over the actual shoulder, so the lack of TV number didn't stand out.  The bolds are more on the sleeve of the real ones, so it looks like there should be a TV number on teh shoulder.  They're still awesome, but that little detail stands out to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Gotta disagree.  The shoulder bolts on the mockups looked better because they were more over the actual shoulder, so the lack of TV number didn't stand out.  The bolds are more on the sleeve of the real ones, so it looks like there should be a TV number on teh shoulder.

TV numbers aren't necessary when the player's numbers are already on the helmet, though. Nor are they necessary when there's gigantic numbers on the front and back of the jersey. Having TV numbers on the shoulders as well would've been useless clutter on a design that didn't need that kind of cluttering.

Besides, the helmet numbers have historical precedent for the franchise, and it's a nice individualistic trait for the Chargers to have.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

TV numbers aren't necessary when the player's numbers are already on the helmet, though. Nor are they necessary when there's gigantic numbers on the front and back of the jersey. Having TV numbers on the shoulders as well would've been useless clutter.

I agree tv numbers aren’t needed when they are already on the helmet but TV numbers make it much easier for announcers during games to not have to wait for the player to turn to know who is who

6 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

TV numbers aren't necessary when the player's numbers are already on the helmet, though. Nor are they necessary when there's gigantic numbers on the front and back of the jersey. Having TV numbers on the shoulders as well would've been useless clutter on a design that didn't need that kind of cluttering.

Besides, the helmet numbers have historical precedent for the franchise, and it's a nice individualistic trait for the Chargers to have.

I totally agree they're not necessary.  My issue is the blank space that wasn't present in the mockups.  If the entire shoulder is blank, and there's no numbers, then it looks like the numbers are missing.  If the bolt comes across the shoulder, then there's no blank space.  It's very minor, but it's a difference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

My issue is the blank space that wasn't present in the mockups.  If the entire shoulder is blank, and there's no numbers, then it looks like the numbers are missing.  If the bolt comes across the shoulder, then there's no blank space.  It's very minor, but it's a difference.

spacer.png

To be fair, though, the unis that were pretty obviously the main inspiration for the Chargers' new look also had blank shoulders, though they had TV numbers below the shoulder bolts. I wonder if their omission was due to the fact that the modern cut doesn't really have sleeves long enough to even house numbers due to the bolt design and the Nike swoosh. Pretty much all of the rest of the Chargers' current look is trying to look like an update of this set, after all.

The Panthers template probably would have worked best, since their shoulder trim renders the TV number almost non existent.  

If the mockups looked like the real deal, I'd still like them.  But that's one difference between the two that I preferred on the mockup.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm still baffled at how the lame duck out of place San Diego franchise managed to do everything right while the born-and-raised LA team screwed the pooch so badly.

That's a stretch of an analogy considering the Rams started in Cleveland and spent 20 of the last 25 years or so in St Louis, while the Chargers are the franchise that was actually born in LA. and moved a far smaller distance.

1 minute ago, colortv said:

That's a stretch of an analogy considering the Rams started in Cleveland and spent 20 of the last 25 years or so in St Louis, while the Chargers are the franchise that was actually born in LA. and moved a far smaller distance.

The chargers spent all of 1 year in LA before moving to SD for about 60 years, there aren’t even that many people old enough to have been around when the chargers were in LA, meanwhile the rams spent much longer in LA, were the first team to come back to LA, and had overwhelming support when compared to the chargers who couldn’t fill a soccer stadium and are now just a tenant, and can’t sell their PSL’s

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

TV numbers are 100% necessary.. however, the numbers on sides of the helmet ARE TV numbers..

The uniforms are good, but would've been perfect if the TV numbers were moved from the helmet to the sleeves (NOT the shoulders).

Edit: ALSO, the Rams look like hot garbage.

On 8/29/2020 at 12:33 PM, FiddySicks said:

Cowboys Stadium is an oversized trash heap. It’s flashy because it’s gargantuan and has a lot of shiny windows, but the interior looks like a bloated Costco warehouse. Think of later year Ford Excursions and translate that to a football stadium and you’ve got Jerryworld to a T. CenturyLink is so much nicer of a venue that it really doesn’t even compare. 

Head to metlife if you want to see a true generic trash heap.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:50 PM, FiddySicks said:

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the facility IMO. CenturyLink was built to withstand the weather and excess water it’ll see over the course of a year. It’s fairly simple, sure. But there’s also a beauty to that IMO. It’s built to last. Jerryworld in contrast just felt stark in the concourses, has elements that were strangely cheap (the seats are AWFUL), and the place is just WAY too big. It’s hard to concentrate on the field in the upper levels because everything is so far away and that huge gimmicky screen is a big distraction. I never felt that way at CenturyLink, and thought the upper level seats were great. The field didn’t seem as far away, and the view of the surrounding area is amazing. 

I don’t doubt the Cowboys’ house is cheap eye candy (this is America and Jerry Jones were talkin’ about, after all) but to be fair, my first impression of the Seahawks’ house was definitely, “This feels like trying to get through the line of sweaty shoppers waiting for their dollar hotdogs at Costco.” Not a bad thing. It’s just got drab, utilitarian concourses for the most part. Beautiful views in the stands, though.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

A few more looks at the Chargers.

Sure, there are small aspects that can be debated such as the bolt going more over the shoulder versus the sleeve, TV numbers, etc. But on the whole, this is a phenomenal look. One of the better ones in the league. As to who won the battle of LA, that one is obvious. Don’t let the little nuances ruin a fantastic uniform for you. Just wait until we see the yellow pants!

Archived