Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

If they just went back and didn't make a single alteration then it would have been a cop out. You shouldn't be able to just go back to an old look without making modifications in some way. People seem to think you can just go back to an old look exact and it will immediately work out but it usually won't. The perfect example of how much reverting back to an old look idea sucks is what the Ottawa Senators did recently.

I disagree with this 100%. 

A few teams are wearing pretty much exact copies of throwbacks to high praise...and a lot of people are excited about Ottawa’s new unis. Calgary might bring back their 80s unis full time and everyone is thrilled. The Coyotes are likely bringing back the Kachina, and most everyone sees it as an upgrade. 

The Dolphins throwbacks are pretty much exact copies of the 70s uniforms...and no one is saying “You gotta make minor changes and make it more modern!”. 

The 49ers brought back the 80s unis in 2010 or so...but they "modernized" the sleeve stripes so they disappeared into the armhole and it looked awful. They should have just brought back three regular stripes. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

If they just went back and didn't make a single alteration then it would have been a cop out. You shouldn't be able to just go back to an old look without making modifications in some way. People seem to think you can just go back to an old look exact and it will immediately work out but it usually won't. The perfect example of how much reverting back to an old look idea sucks is what the Ottawa Senators did recently.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The logic of "change for the sake of change" is silly; fans wanting a specific look want that specific look, not something vaguely similar. When Rams fans said "bring back the old look", they meant "bring this look back full time";

spacer.png

They did not mean "make something literally none of us were asking for besides color scheme";

spacer.png

Teams that change for the sake of change often are the teams that end up looking the worst, especially if piled atop endless other bad branding decisions along the way.

spacer.png

Then you get teams that just understand how to iterate on the past while making something that feels new and don't overcomplicate their own design process with endless attempts to tie their brand into "LA" and "The LA Sunshine" or "The LA Beaches" or whatever. It's just because it looks good and it's what people want. The Rams got too damned cute with trying to turn every single part of their identity into some stupid tie-in to "the idea of LA", when really, the fanbase would've been fine with going back to the throwbacks because...well, they look good and keep with the same "returning to our LA heritage" spiel.

There are a lot of things that we unjustifiably blame on the brand/manufacturer, in this case Nike. But it's a hard line of thought to avoid when you see teams like Tampa and Cleveland pulling back from over-designed uniforms to their simplified looks from the past. 

I could understand Nike's reticence to want to adapt a design created by a rival. The brand's entire ethos is built around the word "innovation," and this is the opposite of that. At the same time, I have to wonder how hard they drive teams to walk this path to begin with, and what that sales pitch must look like. 

Because a lot of you are right: the obvious move for the Rams would have been to simply roll out the design that has stood the test of time. But instead they took several pages out of Nike's 2020 trend book. If this were 1984, the Rams would've come out with parachute pants and zippers all over their jerseys. 

I don't think the average fan would really be that married to the idea of using the throwback exactly as the new primary... I doubt they'd even notice the minor updates that would've been added.  Back in '13, when the Vikings came out with their current uniforms, you'd be surprised how many Viking fans I knew that referred to the new uniform as a throwback, simply because it had sleeve stripes and single layer numbers. That's how little the details mattered to them.

If the Rams had started with their throwback as a jumping off point, gone with that helmet color/finish, that number font (minus the gradient), and the new yellow pants, they really could've had their cake (all the nike-speak, the buzz of the new) and eaten it too (they could've still claimed to be "respecting tradition" or whatever). Instead, they just went for all of it. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I could understand Nike's reticence to want to adapt a design created by a rival. 

Seems like a pretty huge stretch to call Sand-Knit a "rival" to Nike. 

My guess is just that the Rams overthought the whole process and demanded lots of gimmicky changes. If their recent work in college football is anything to go by, the Rams' new look would have been ultra-plain glorified practice gear if Nike was left to their own devices.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Seems like a pretty huge stretch to call Sand-Knit a "rival" to Nike. 

My guess is just that the Rams overthought the whole process and demanded lots of gimmicky changes. If their recent work in college football is anything to go by, the Rams' new look would have been ultra-plain glorified practice gear if Nike was left to their own devices.

I was speaking mostly to whichever brands designed the prior Browns or Buccaneers sets, but sure, knock me down a peg. The broader point was this: Nike would be reticent to adapt a design that wasn't theirs to begin with. Whether it's a rival or not, I suppose, is irrelevant. 

The Rams in their throwbacks at the L.A. Coliseum, I was waiting for that since 2009 or whenever it was that the kids sold the team. It was good while it lasted. All they had to do was fix the helmet color, the shoulder horns, and the numbers. They didn't need to redefine what it means to be a football uniform.

EDIT: remember in 2009 when the Jaguars were circling the drain? The Los Angeles Jaguars would have been a weird outcome to all this, huh?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, colortv said:

We can all agree the Rams nailed the colors right?

not when one of those colors is “bone”. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Honestly, how hard would just doing this have been? It's not like the helmet doesn't work on modern shells.

It didn't even work on the old shells. 

12387021%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

1250129%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur669431%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url

To say nothing of modern shells.

ramshelmet-2.jpg

Of all the changes, the new horn shape is the only one that I would deem an unqualified success.   

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

My thoughts exactly.

And worth pointing out that the worst elements of those two new uniforms - the Browns' terrible number font and the Bucs' silly roboskull logo - were the only things the clubs didn't bring back from the originals.

A good design is a good design is a good design.  The notion that you can't bring back a good design because doing so would be a cop out is bizarre to me.  Although it would explain the current state of many teams.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It didn't even work on the old shells. 

12387021%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

1250129%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur669431%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url

To say nothing of modern shells.

ramshelmet-2.jpg

Of all the changes, the new horn shape is the only one that I would deem an unqualified success.   

Our of curiosity, what would have prevented them from first removing the face mask before adhering the Ram horn? Seems like doing it that way would've prevented the strange gap in horn. 

Archived