OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

1 hour ago, JustForFun said:

Yeah, I don't hate it either. The gradients are beyond stupid, the stripes are pointless, and there was no reason to change the horn, but I do like the vibrancy of the blue and yellow colors together very much. And they had absolutely nowhere to go but up after their absolutely horrible and dated navy and gold "sludge" uniforms.

I honestly think a recolored stl set with anaheim colors (add a deacon jones throwback and keep the yellow CR) would have looked far superior to the hot mess they conjured up. There's no way that could have happened though because such a small, efficient, and effective (also not original but that's ok) idea would lack the innovation to justify the huge salaries that were involved in creating one of the most unappealing and overdesigned identities in recent memory.

39 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I honestly think a recolored stl set with anaheim colors

With “anaheim” colors? 

How dare you, sir. 

37 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

With “anaheim” colors? 

How dare you, sir. 

I mean, technically, the Rams did play in Anaheim... 😛

On 10/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, FiddySicks said:

So, after watching the Chargers play today in their best combo, I’ve come to the conclusion that the new set is kinda :censored:. The lack of TV numbers, the all bright colors, and the simplicity of the overall design gives it a really cheap look. It’s strange. The Chargers got a lot of the recent rebrand right on paper, but there are parts of it that just don’t look good to me in action. The new bolts, which look fantastic in the design, don’t really translate all that well to the uniforms. They all look really stretched out and warped. It’s not a great look for an NFL team.

Agreed.

The last set of uniforms, as originally conceived on the old Reebok template, were great.

Changing to the Nike template was a mistake.

spacer.png

Something is off-putting about the new sleeve bolts, like they're rotated too far forward and aren't long enough.

Also, there isn't enough contrast between the white trim and the Chargers' weak shade of Gold.

The facemasks are closer to Packers' Gold, but otherwise the Chargers new shade of Gold is too light.

spacer.png

Does anybody think the Chargers just want the bolts on the sleeves to look the way they do? It's no mistake, it's what they want, that weird tiny look. I don't mind it.

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Constantly posting pics of the Rams' unis isn't going to make us like them any more.

Consistently bashing the Rams’ uniforms won’t change the opinion of folks that actually like them either. Yet, here we are.

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Consistently bashing the Rams’ uniforms won’t change the opinion of folks that actually like them either. Yet, here we are.

Not sure that pointing out the many flaws in specific detail counts as “bashing”, but okay.  

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Does anybody think the Chargers just want the bolts on the sleeves to look the way they do? It's no mistake, it's what they want, that weird tiny look. I don't mind it.

Then why would they release renders and photoshops that show the bolts differently?  It's not a "mistake", but it's obviously not what they wanted, but rather a compromise due to Nike's inability or unwillingness to adjust or create a new template for them.

most of the issues people are pointing out with the bolts could be solved simply by moving them a little bit towards the neck... like they are in the renders.

Agreed that it isn’t a mistake, but are we even sure it’s not what they wanted?  

I don’t know that there’s any reason to believe that they had to compromise.  For all we know, this was the way they wanted it to look. 

Is anyone really surprised that a Spanos-owned franchise screwed it up? It's what they do.

Hey, did I miss something? Did everyone decide to turn on the Chargers new uniforms and I never got the memo?

I'm saving my hate for the debut of those pointless and dopey color rushes. In the meantime, I continue to like these versions they've shown so far.

9 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Consistently bashing the Rams’ uniforms won’t change the opinion of folks that actually like them either. Yet, here we are I am.

edited for accuracy

9 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Well, time to shut down the boards

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Hey, did I miss something? Did everyone decide to turn on the Chargers new uniforms and I never got the memo?

I'm saving my hate for the debut of those pointless and dopey color rushes. In the meantime, I continue to like these versions they've shown so far.

I was thinking the same thing. The Chargers went from revered to reviled in record time. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm glad that I'm not alone here lol, I still think that they look really nice. Intensifying the the color of the bolts to better match the facemask would be about the only thing I would change about them.

The there’s some posters who wouldn’t be happy with anything unless every team reverted to 70s and 80s uniform designs. Time moves on and at some point modernization happens.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The Chargers went from revered to reviled in record time. 

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I'm glad that I'm not alone here lol, I think that they've looked really nice. Intensifying the the color of the bolts to better match the facemask would be about the only thing I would change about them.

Completely agree with these points, I was just coming here to mention how surprised I am about the seemingly immediate turnaround on the Chargers. Sure, the shoulder bolts maybe look a little awkward, but it seems like they were designed to line up with the sleeve cap. I feel like if the bolts were moved up more on the shoulder, we would complain that the sleeves look too empty.

The only thing I'm not huge on with the Chargers set now that we've seen it in action is that the gold pants look kind of mustard in some photos, but still in others they look fantastic. That and the somewhat awkward shoulder bolts are about as significant to me as the black facemask in the Vikings set, almost imperceivable details on an otherwise nearly perfect set.

I don't mean to generalize, but it feels like for years these boards begged the Chargers to go back to powder blue full-time (myself included), and now they've done it in a clean and reserved way that harkens back to the throwbacks, but now we've found ways to pick that apart too. I guess that's the nature of these boards, we're all overly attentive to detail, but for me I'm beyond happy with these as they are, and the Chargers have immediately spiked up to be one of my favorite uniforms in the league.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed that it isn’t a mistake, but are we even sure it’s not what they wanted?  

I don’t know that there’s any reason to believe that they had to compromise.  For all we know, this was the way they wanted it to look. 

Every team approves a physical sample precisely so they know exactly what to expect and get exactly what they want. Uniforms are designed down to the millimeter because a production factory has to be able to create the entire garment (without any guesswork) from a document that outlines all the materials, colors, construction details, artwork, specs detailing exactly where those trims go, and how they’re applied.

If anything reflects a “mistake,” it’s the Photoshops. They were likely done in haste as a result of not yet having physical samples for the players and/or not being able to hold a proper photo shoot.

I'll just point out I've been against the new Chargers uniforms since their reveal.

I tried finding my initial reactions but I have no idea how the search software works on this board.

Hmm...