Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The Chargers went from revered to reviled in record time. 

Funny how seeing a design in action, as opposed to a photoshop image, might cause some to re-think their initial opinion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, colortv said:

The there’s some posters who wouldn’t be happy with anything unless every team reverted to 70s and 80s uniform designs. Time moves on and at some point modernization happens.

If you don't have a substance response to a poster's argument, then attack the poster.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the first time I ever typed that damn thing, and you guys made me do it twice.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Every team approves a physical sample precisely so they know exactly what to expect and get exactly what they want. Uniforms are designed down to the millimeter because a production factory has to be able to create the entire garment (without any guesswork) from a document that outlines all the materials, colors, construction details, artwork, specs detailing exactly where those trims go, and how they’re applied.

If anything reflects a “mistake,” it’s the Photoshops. They were likely done in haste as a result of not yet having physical samples for the players and/or not being able to hold a proper photo shoot.

Yeah I think you pretty much nailed it. They unveiled a digital uniform that could not be physically reproduced to the accuracy of the rendering. Upon seeing the physical product in action, the flaws are exposed. While the flaws are small I think they make the set look unfinished (lack of tv numbers on sleeves) and forced (shoulder bolt position and proportions). To the average viewer and even to the execs that signed off on the physical samples you could make a strong argument that the physical uniforms meet all the criteria of the digital renderings if you are not a stickler for very fine details. I still am not sold on having light/blue and yellow as the only 2 non-white colors. It's very hard to make legible and stand out.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'll just point out I've been against the new Chargers uniforms since their reveal.

I tried finding my initial reactions but I have no idea how the search software works on this board.

I was also critical of them since day one - starting with their decision to only start embracing powder blue now after spending decades purposely ignoring the demand for it in San Diego.

The shoulder bolts have looked awkward since the initial render. So did the italic number font. One thing I wasn't expecting was how sickly and gross the new shade of yellow looks on the field.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I was also critical of them since day one - starting with their decision to only start embracing powder blue now after spending decades purposely ignoring the demand for it in San Diego.

Thank Spanos for that. 😜

I liked the Chargers uniform at the unveil because to me it looks like something a pro team would wear... Having said that I was not blown away.... I would have not put white at all on the powder blue jerseys on the shoulder bolts. I would like to see the yellow on the powder before I committed to darkening the yellow but would probably end up doing that a little.... I also think tv numbers would look the best & would nix the italicized numbers... What is really killing me about all teams is the insistence on wearing plain white socks or same color socks as the pants I hope that trend ends tomorrow...

37 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

I liked the Chargers uniform at the unveil because to me it looks like something a pro team would wear... Having said that I was not blown away.... I would have not put white at all on the powder blue jerseys on the shoulder bolts. I would like to see the yellow on the powder before I committed to darkening the yellow but would probably end up doing that a little.... I also think tv numbers would look the best & would nix the italicized numbers... What is really killing me about all teams is the insistence on wearing plain white socks or same color socks as the pants I hope that trend ends tomorrow...

Plain white socks look completely amateur as do stripeless pants.

Umm... Okay.

I'll just stay over here continuing to feel like that they got it pretty much right, and being glad there's not another crappy uniform in a league that seems bent on filling itself with as many crappy uniforms as possible.

You know, like that other uniform being discussed in this thread.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed that it isn’t a mistake, but are we even sure it’s not what they wanted?  

I don’t know that there’s any reason to believe that they had to compromise.  For all we know, this was the way they wanted it to look. 

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

If anything reflects a “mistake,” it’s the Photoshops. They were likely done in haste as a result of not yet having physical samples for the players and/or not being able to hold a proper photo shoot.

That makes the most sense.  It's a shame, because I think the tiny difference in bolt placement  on the photoshops makes a really big improvement.  It would make it look like it was intentionally designed to be without numbers, rather than looking like someone forgot to put them on.

It's still a very nice set, and I think that any claims that people have "turned" on them are exaggerated, it's just that it could have been better with seemingly minor adjustments.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here’s what I think is happening with the Chargers. If you look at the uniform in its entirety, the bolt on the helmet and the bolt on the pants are surprisingly similar in length, and they work remarkably well as a curved and straight version of the same graphic, each having two equal, jagged “steps” along the length of the bolt.

spacer.png

Now, looking at the bolt on the shoulder, it’s much shorter In length, but those two steps in the bolt are still in there, making the whole shoulder graphic look a bit scrunched as a result. If the length of that sleeve panel is what’s limiting the length of the bolt, I think eliminating one of the steps in the bolt on the shoulder could better maintain the more elongated look of the helmet and pant graphics. It already doesn’t match the logo, so I think the priority needs to shift toward making it look as good as possible at that point.

spacer.png

The best solution, though, would probably have been to print the bolt on top of the shoulder, on the main body panel, which, on uniforms without any shoulder stripes or panels, is seamless all the way up the front, over the shoulder, and down the back, with the two ends being sewn together at the center of the back.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Funny how seeing a design in action, as opposed to a photoshop image, might cause some to re-think their initial opinion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I completely understand the criticism now that the uniforms have been in the wild for a few weeks. I was just observing how quickly the tenor of the rhetoric seemed to have changed once folks saw them in action.

I still generally like what the Chargers have done on the whole, but they're far from perfect. I've said it before, and I'm probably in the minority, but I still think the numbers are an unnecessary blight on an otherwise really nice helmet. I'm just not as bothered by the shoulder bolts as most of you seem to be. 

10 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Hmm... 

This is what they should’ve done with the bone jersey. Hell, the white wordmark patch on the bone looks like it came from this jersey.

7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Here’s what I think is happening with the Chargers. If you look at the uniform in its entirety, the bolt on the helmet and the bolt on the pants are surprisingly similar in length, and they work remarkably well as a curved and straight version of the same graphic, each having two equal, jagged “steps” along the length of the bolt.

spacer.png

Now, looking at the bolt on the shoulder, it’s much shorter In length, but those two steps in the bolt are still in there, making the whole shoulder graphic look a bit scrunched as a result. If the length of that sleeve panel is what’s limiting the length of the bolt, I think eliminating one of the steps in the bolt on the shoulder could better maintain the more elongated look of the helmet and pant graphics. It already doesn’t match the logo, so I think the priority needs to shift toward making it look as good as possible at that point.

spacer.png

The best solution, though, would probably have been to print the bolt on top of the shoulder, on the main body panel, which, on uniforms without any shoulder stripes or panels, is seamless all the way up the front, over the shoulder, and down the back, with the two ends being sewn together at the center of the back.

That would look like an SS logo. 

9 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not suggesting otherwise. I completely understand the criticism now that the uniforms have been in the wild for a few weeks. I was just observing how quickly the tenor of the rhetoric seemed to have changed once folks saw them in action.

It is kind of funny, I’ll grant you that, but the shoulder bolts are the defining characteristic of the jersey, maybe even the entire uniform.  Getting those wrong is a huge deal. 

I still generally like what the Chargers have done on the whole, but they're far from perfect. I've said it before, and I'm probably in the minority, but I still think the numbers are an unnecessary blight on an otherwise really nice helmet. I'm just not as bothered by the shoulder bolts as most of you seem to be. 

I’m with you on that one - the helmet numbers are pointless clutter and bring down a pretty good helmet.  I also still hate the italic numbers.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, it was a pretty good play. 😉

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, it was a pretty good play. 😉

That's a great line, and apt. 

The more I think about these Chargers unis, the more I recognize that they benefit from their proximity to the Rams. For a set with so many mix-and-match options and color variants, the Chargers redesign feels like a much more simplified version of their prior sets, and certainly more simplified than the Rams' clown suits. 

I get that calling a uni set with six interchangeable options and retro color ways "simple" seems contradictory, but I'm speaking more to the elements within the uniform. It's just numbers and bolts; no side panels or patches or extraneous stitches or wordmarks on the collar. (Remove those unnecessary helmet numbers, and it gets even simpler.) Even if the application was flawed, the intent to simplify was clear, which is why it's so appealing to me. 

The best NFL uniforms, in my mind, are the simplest ones: Raiders, Packers, Bears, Browns, Steelers. I was always partial to the old St. Louis Cardinals NFL uniforms, which shared some similar characteristics to the others. 

It's a shame that more NFL teams don't consider what makes those uniforms work when designing new looks. The Falcons, for example, would look perfect had they adopted some variant of their simplified original set. 

To me, the new Chargers set is a chest wordmark and TV numbers away from being perfect. I understand the concerns about the shade of gold and shoulder bolts, but it seems too minimal to matter to me. Regardless of how scrunched up the bolts get, they still are the best shoulder bolts the team has ever had. The gold, while not perfect, still works very well with the powder blue. I love this look, especially with white pants, and I firmly believe it is a top 5 set in the league. Could be improved upon, yes, but still amazing.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's a really good analysis, and might explain why the shoulder bolts were thinner and applied over the shoulder, giving them more room to "stretch out".

The difference in "real" vs "shopped" bolts is striking (no pun intended) when seen side-by-side.

EWIdCpeXkAAvnO6.jpg

200420-uniform-launch-social-renderings-

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Chargers have two complete different uniforms beyond their core set. It's three distinct uniform sets! It's funnier every time I look at it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived